Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 63

Thread: S$1,200 RWS fish dish shocker

  1. #21
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: S$1,200 RWS fish dish shocker

    The fact is, I am ordering a fish which is at the most $200 - 300, and you come up with a suggestion which is more than a thousand dollars... Is that something fair?

    I may be willing to pay up to $400-500 for the meal. But not in the thousands.... there must be some kind of checks on such procedures right?
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: S$1,200 RWS fish dish shocker

    It was mentioned that the fish was like.. 1.8kg? How often does one sees a 1.8kg fish on the table..

    Maybe the diner got to appreciate the fact that a 2kg crab does not cost the same as 4 x 500g crab. A 2 head abalone does not cost the same as 4 x 8 head abalone.... So it's not fair to take $6/100g x 1.8kg to calculate the price of the fish.. who know.. the $/100g might increase exponentially as the weight increases..
    Last edited by Limsgp; 1st July 2010 at 01:40 PM.

  3. #23

    Default Re: S$1,200 RWS fish dish shocker

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post

    “The flesh is tender and snow white. It’s a wild river fish, so it eats fruits that drops from trees and bears the fragrance of fruit,” Chef Huang Ching Biao, 58, kitchen operations director at Jin Shan restaurant at MBS told The New Paper.
    no wonder all these year I was trying to fish them with live prawns, and was not able to catch one. Will buy some fruits the next trip.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: S$1,200 RWS fish dish shocker

    Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    It was mentioned that the fish was like.. 1.8kg? How often does one sees a 1.8kg fish on the table..

    Maybe the diner got to appreciate the fact that a 2kg crab does not cost the same as 4 x 500g crab. A 2 head abalone does not cost the same as 4 x 8 head abalone.... So it's not fair to take $6/100g x 1.8kg to calculate the price of the fish.. who know.. the $/100g might increase exponentially as the weight increases..
    err...I thought if the seasonal price is $6/100g, you just multiply accordingly. The price at that restaurant is $68/100g.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: S$1,200 RWS fish dish shocker

    Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    no wonder all these year I was trying to fish them with live prawns, and was not able to catch one. Will buy some fruits the next trip.
    You must have been trying hard at Singapore river.

  6. #26

    Default Re: S$1,200 RWS fish dish shocker

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    The fact is, I am ordering a fish which is at the most $200 - 300, and you come up with a suggestion which is more than a thousand dollars... Is that something fair?

    I may be willing to pay up to $400-500 for the meal. But not in the thousands.... there must be some kind of checks on such procedures right?
    are you sure the Soon Hock fish is at most 200 - 300 at that resturant. It could also be $1,200.

    the fact is if this 35yr old guy cannot afford to eat like a millionaire then he should open his golden mouth to ask about the price before ordering. But if wanna act like one then don't cry over $1,200.

  7. #27

    Default Re: S$1,200 RWS fish dish shocker

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    You must have been trying hard at Singapore river.
    no punggol river.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Virgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    4,816

    Default Re: S$1,200 RWS fish dish shocker

    When one drives a car, there's the Chery QQ, and there's also the Ferrari.

    When one eats a fish, there's the ikan kuning, and there's also the white sultan fish.

    Apparently, I think it's the customers fault for not asking the price he/she has to pay. Just because it may make one 'lost face' doesn't mean that the price cannot be checked.

    When I go eat seafood, or those that is stated with 'seasonal price', I'll sure check with the order taker around how much will that dish cost if I order.

    Now that the fish has been consumed, they cannot complain, even other restaurants can say how cheap or expensive that kind of fish may be. It's up to that restaurant to say how exquisite or how difficult to cook the fish!
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

  9. #29
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: S$1,200 RWS fish dish shocker

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    But despite its draw, both chefs added that they have not come across any commanding such a high price. One seafood distributor known only as Mr Lee even described the price of the fish at Fengshui Inn as “outrageous”.

    You don't just pay for the fish.... but also the high class Chef that cooks it, the dining environment and the rights to claim you've eaten at one of S'pore's Newest and Most Expensive Restaurants.....


    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    Incidents like these throw the spotlight on questionable charging practices in Singapore. For a country positioning itself as a tourism hub, these bad dining experiences are sure to leave a bitter after-taste.

    Personally I don't really see it affecting much, if at all, S'pore's position as a tourist hub.... It does show how silly S'porean are, when it comes to fine dinning.... by

    1) Ordering a very rare, wild caught fish without knowing about its price/rarity.
    2) Assuming that the fish cost the same as Soon Hock (Straits Times, B1, today)
    3) Didn't ask the waiter to tell him the cost before confirming the dish (I would have done it even if infront of my guest).
    4) Thinking that eating at any High Class Restaurant around RWS is going to be cheap.....
    5) Complaint to everyone after committing these mistake and makan-ed the fish.....

    If Mr Liu was charge this amount at Newton Hawker Centre.... I would have agreed with him. But at a High Class Restaurant..... sorry Mr Liu, but its lesson learned time.
    Last edited by diver-hloc; 1st July 2010 at 02:30 PM.

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  10. #30
    Senior Member Virgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    4,816

    Default Re: S$1,200 RWS fish dish shocker

    Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    are you sure the Soon Hock fish is at most 200 - 300 at that resturant. It could also be $1,200.

    the fact is if this 35yr old guy cannot afford to eat like a millionaire then he should open his golden mouth to ask about the price before ordering. But if wanna act like one then don't cry over $1,200.
    Agree with you. If not a millionaire, then don't act like one and ask.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

  11. #31
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: S$1,200 RWS fish dish shocker

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    err...I thought if the seasonal price is $6/100g, you just multiply accordingly. The price at that restaurant is $68/100g.

    But large fish of certain size is rare..... I could ask for 5kg of prawns.... but NOT ONE 5kg prawn as prawns never grow so large.

    The very reason why 'Big Prawn Mee' cost more than plain old Prawn Mee....

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  12. #32
    Senior Member knpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,651

    Default Re: S$1,200 RWS fish dish shocker

    wow, so not worth

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: S$1,200 RWS fish dish shocker

    Read somewhere Ikan Hantu taste better than Sultan fish. And that both are fresh water fishes. As we all know, fresh water fishes are not as tasty as salt water. I think I will stick to the fried Soon Hock.

  14. #34

    Default Re: S$1,200 RWS fish dish shocker

    Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    are you sure the Soon Hock fish is at most 200 - 300 at that resturant. It could also be $1,200.

    the fact is if this 35yr old guy cannot afford to eat like a millionaire then he should open his golden mouth to ask about the price before ordering. But if wanna act like one then don't cry over $1,200.
    Btw soon hock fish is offered in restaurants in wedding menu..... so a table cost $800... can a soon hock cost $1.2k?

    Its like walking into a camera shop and first time buying dslr... and u ask for D90.... the man say no stock... and recommend u D3s instead... and u take it... the bill comes to 7k...
    (the man could have recommend u a D300 or D5000 instead)

    So in this case i think the guy trusts the 'professionalism' and the service of the waiter/waitress too much.

    So lesson learnt to all: Always ask the price before agreeing...

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: S$1,200 RWS fish dish shocker

    Quote Originally Posted by jackmbox View Post
    Btw soon hock fish is offered in restaurants in wedding menu..... so a table cost $800... can a soon hock cost $1.2k?
    That is provided you can get a table containing soon hock at $800 at the said restaurant in the first place..

    Chicken rice at hawker center maybe $2.50, but at 5 star hotel it can cost $25..

  16. #36

    Default Re: S$1,200 RWS fish dish shocker

    Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    That is provided you can get a table containing soon hock at $800 at the said restaurant in the first place..

    Chicken rice at hawker center maybe $2.50, but at 5 star hotel it can cost $25..

    but usually the hawker center ones taste better !

  17. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: S$1,200 RWS fish dish shocker

    Quote Originally Posted by Royale With Cheese View Post
    but usually the hawker center ones taste better !
    Depends on which hawker center you go to....

  18. #38

    Default Re: S$1,200 RWS fish dish shocker

    Quote Originally Posted by Royale With Cheese View Post
    but usually the hawker center ones taste better !
    hawker centre put more Ajimonoto

  19. #39

    Default Re: S$1,200 RWS fish dish shocker

    Quote Originally Posted by jackmbox View Post
    Btw soon hock fish is offered in restaurants in wedding menu..... so a table cost $800... can a soon hock cost $1.2k?

    Its like walking into a camera shop and first time buying dslr... and u ask for D90.... the man say no stock... and recommend u D3s instead... and u take it... the bill comes to 7k...
    (the man could have recommend u a D300 or D5000 instead)

    So in this case i think the guy trusts the 'professionalism' and the service of the waiter/waitress too much.

    So lesson learnt to all: Always ask the price before agreeing...
    some salemen, who earn commission, will promote cheaper items becos those items have higher commission.

    btw for $1,200 I can fly to HK in the morning to have roast goose and steam parrot fish lunch and dinner at Yung Kee Restaurant and return at midnight.

  20. #40

    Default Re: S$1,200 RWS fish dish shocker

    Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    hawker centre put more Ajimonoto
    heehee.. true true

    Restaurant never put ah?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •