Thread: FD lens

Default FD lens

Hi, I was thinking about trying out some FD lens, for e.g. getting a super telephoto lens say 400mm for not so frequent birding shots butgetting a EF 400mm prime lens is expensive (except those cheap cheap versions) and might not be worth it since I don't use it often.

So I was wondering how is it like to use FD lens with the adapter with glass for infinity focus. Also how different would it be from using 3rd party manual focus lens with adapters (no glass, e.g. m42 to ef mount).

Read some comments online and was mentioned that it wasn't recommended. So I thought it would be nice to hear from local users who have experience in using FD lens.

Thanks alot.

Default Re: FD lens

im assuming your a canon user? adapting a telphoto fd shouldnt be a problem. should be very easy to hard convert(mount change) to an ef mount. thats IF u can find a long canon fd. they re quite rare... you could look at the sigma 400 f5.6 or tamron eqv or tokina 400 f5.6 though.. should be easier to find. really depends on your budget. many long m42 lenses out there too
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ang View Post
    im assuming your a canon user? adapting a telphoto fd shouldnt be a problem. should be very easy to hard convert(mount change) to an ef mount. thats IF u can find a long canon fd. they re quite rare... you could look at the sigma 400 f5.6 or tamron eqv or tokina 400 f5.6 though.. should be easier to find. really depends on your budget. many long m42 lenses out there too
    yup I am canon user...do you have any idea where in Singapore I can do a hard convert? Places like Camera Workshop?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    yup I am canon user...do you have any idea where in Singapore I can do a hard convert? Places like Camera Workshop?
    well... usually ppl just grab an fd adaptor. cause u needa add 1 more piece of glass to allow that focus to infinity. so good luck to u

i ve hard converted fd-nikon mount before 2 55mm f/1.2 lenses. fd to eos is pretty easy. could help you out if you do find a lens.. but i do need an eos camera to confirm the focus is correct. i also have a spare canon FL 55mm f/1.2 to convert.. if your interested...

regards,
    benjamin
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

Dear Ben

I just got a Canon FD mount 35mm TS by mistake - I thought it was a EOS mount. Would appreciate any advice/help on hard converting it to fit a 7D.

I also have some old contax carl zeiss lenses to convert.

Pls help

You can contact me 96920678 thanks!

Isaiah