Thread: about 2x extender and minimum focusing distance

Default about 2x extender and minimum focusing distance

Hmm, if i were to get a 2x extender, will the minimum focusing distance of my Macro lens be multiplied by 2 also?? or it remains the same??

Also, is it advisable to use a 2x extender for macrography to provide a longer working space?

btw, i'm using the tamron 90mm macro..

MOD will still be the same.

Not advisable.

-lose 2 stop of light (harder to MF due to darker VF)
    -lost in image quality
    -more diffcult to handheld due to longer focal lenght(up to individual)

ditto the above.

As a side note, you will also get double the magnification at the minimum focussing distance. Its up to you whether you find the corresponding loss of image quality acceptable.

oh... so that means i'll have to get a longer lens.... booo..

Since the long macro lens are seriously expensive, you might consider the alternate option of going with a long telephoto with extension tubes. I've thought about this problem not too long ago (aka last week ) and asked around in a different website and got this answer:

A Nikon PN-11 (52.5mm extension) with the 180mm f2.8 ED would get me 1:2.3 with a working distance of 0.66m, while a Micro-Nikkor 105mm f2.8 with a 2X teleconvertor at the same 1:2.3 ratio has a working distance of 0.47m but is able to go down to 2:1.

I would lose autofocus going the extension tube route (which is sort of moot since I'm doing macro) but would have potentially better image quality than with the 2X.