Thread: Sunset Silhouettes

Default Sunset Silhouettes

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Lighting and composition.
    Whether there's too much silhouette.
    Whether it's too dark.
    Whether the picture has a balanced feel
    Whether the lights from the bumboats serve to illuminate the silhoutte enough to make it not a big black patch

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    To show a nice scene with good lighting and composition.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Evening nice sky. Calm situation. Boats moving in and out of Changi jetty. Selected out of few pictures taken during this time - I could go with a brighter or dark pic, or have a boat cutting off 90% of the sunlight's reflection.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I like the sun and it's rays. I thought the sky had the right amount of light and darkness. I'm not sure about the silhoutte but I think there should be enough shape from the distinctive trees to justify it. I want to find out whether I am reading a scene right, and portraying it correctly, and what else am I doing wrong.

Default Re: Sunset Silhouettes

Wow! Love the Color. But seems too dark? Or my monitor?
    39, 40.5, 46, 49, 52, 55, 58, 62, 67, 72, 77.

Blog Entries

hey cat, nice sunset u got there. i like the colors.

on the other hand, i find it kinda sad the boats details all gone cause its too dark. perhaps u could had hdr instead of getting the silhouette. cause the boats that patch of black really wasted. but i like the feel of the sky, very surreal. sad u cant do too long exposure or u get really blur boats...

but still i like this shot quite much (: just a tad too dark for me only

Okay, thanks. I've been getting other feedback and it being too dark is the general consensus. I will take note of that.

Thanks, guys.

Hmm.. Landscape pictures with generally about 20% black does draw mix views from viewers.

Nice capture overall.

There is a very difficult and often criticized rule here... If there is not clear sharp reflection(i.e. close to mirror) from the water, avoid putting the horizon at/ near the center of the frame. They say... 不上不下,不懂在看什么。。。A very traditional rule. No offense. This rule helps me to be critical when I look at my own pictures. What am I looking at?

If you are looking for a stronger composition, try achieve a balance between the left and right side of the picture. A little too 'strong' on the right.

Cheers.
    心到,眼到,手到。
    genone3, Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ng View Post
    Hmm.. Landscape pictures with generally about 20% black does draw mix views from viewers.

Nice capture overall.

There is a very difficult and often criticized rule here... If there is not clear sharp reflection(i.e. close to mirror) from the water, avoid putting the horizon at/ near the center of the frame. They say... 不上不下,不懂在看什么。。。A very traditional rule. No offense. This rule helps me to be critical when I look at my own pictures. What am I looking at?

If you are looking for a stronger composition, try achieve a balance between the left and right side of the picture. A little too 'strong' on the right.

Cheers.
    I see. Would you suggest going further up (skywards) or further down (seawards)in this situation?

I will think again how much to "chop" if necessary, from the silhouette portions, if the left and right are deemed imbalanced. Thanks for the feedback

Nice colors but i think the problem here its too balanced. Equal amounts of blacks and colors. how about letting either side dominate.
    5DMk2,400D,EOS3 50mm F1.4,28-75 F2.8,GRDIII 28mm F1.9
    www.flickr.com/jenson_goh

Quote Originally Posted by blurry80 View Post
    Nice colors but i think the problem here its too balanced. Equal amounts of blacks and colors. how about letting either side dominate.
    Actually my intention was to the black dominate (but not overpowering the photo until it becomes one blotch of black, shapeless silhoutte)... and I think that's why it comes through as being too dark for most. Not sure if I can make it any darker... but lighter was not quite the intention I have. One reason why I left the composition with 2/3 of the darker side, and 1/3 of sun, rather than a more centralized sun.

It's a very interesting point not brought up before
    Last edited by wildcat; 1st July 2010 at 11:43 AM.

nice colour+nice catch...but feels imbalance as left too much dark, unable to balance the brightness on right..my 2cents.
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    I see. Would you suggest going further up (skywards) or further down (seawards)in this situation?

I will think again how much to "chop" if necessary, from the silhouette portions, if the left and right are deemed imbalanced. Thanks for the feedback
    It is a very Judgmental call actually. I have no idea what the original looks like and thus cannot tell how much to chop.

Start with the good old 1/3 rule maybe.1/3 sea 2/3 sky as your main theme is sunset silhouette... maybe, we can do away with the left side (the distracting houses) and just keep the sunset and the rays...

I find too many distracting lights around.

Its a tough call on what to retain....
    心到,眼到,手到。
    genone3, Flickr

Hi wildcat, i like it! Actually it's pretty similar to a dilemma I had on one shot too. It's a little dark but my purpose was to portray the *first light* as dusk breaks...since it's not that nice to hijack your thread i'll leave the link here :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122184...4354/lightbox/

Might just be my own liking, but hey, what's the point of wanting to see everything in a picture Not easy to balance though. Balance...is the key. (must remind myself next time I go shoot...always think of compositional balance forgot about lighting balance for the less obvious cases ..so thanks for this thread!)

Blog Entries

ok. i'll up with v2. i like the fact at least i can see some details. sky looks brighter too and tats also a goodthing

Blog Entries

i tot this was the Maldives or some exotic South Pacific paradise
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    nice colour+nice catch...but feels imbalance as left too much dark, unable to balance the brightness on right..my 2cents.
    Haha.. okay, will add to the count that thinks it's too dark

It is a very Judgmental call actually. I have no idea what the original looks like and thus cannot tell how much to chop.

Start with the good old 1/3 rule maybe.1/3 sea 2/3 sky as your main theme is sunset silhouette... maybe, we can do away with the left side (the distracting houses) and just keep the sunset and the rays...

I find too many distracting lights around.

Its a tough call on what to retain....
    Okay, will consider that. I thought the house and boat lights would prevent the big large patch silhouette incident and that's why I included a lot of it. Will take into consideration that it could be distracting

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ang View Post
    Hi wildcat, i like it! Actually it's pretty similar to a dilemma I had on one shot too. It's a little dark but my purpose was to portray the *first light* as dusk breaks...since it's not that nice to hijack your thread i'll leave the link here :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122184...4354/lightbox/

Might just be my own liking, but hey, what's the point of wanting to see everything in a picture Not easy to balance though. Balance...is the key. (must remind myself next time I go shoot...always think of compositional balance forgot about lighting balance for the less obvious cases ..so thanks for this thread!)
    Haha, yeah. Tough cookie. Thanks for sharing yours! Think the comments in here will apply for both our pics.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    ok. i'll up with v2. i like the fact at least i can see some details. sky looks brighter too and tats also a goodthing
    Eh v2 no brighter sky. I do like v2 better too. Thanks for the suggestion! v3 with the brighter sky doesn't quite work for me, especially with a bigger pic.

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    i tot this was the Maldives or some exotic South Pacific paradise
    Ahhahaha.. bro Moderator, are you with the dark side or with the could-be-brighter side? more comments lei!

Mr Ang's picture has less elements in it. Lines, dead tree, rocks. Something that looks Less, I would concentrate more at the sun.

Less is more is my preference. :-}

Cheers!
    心到,眼到,手到。
    genone3, Flickr

Mr Ang's pic is dominated by blacks if i put it in comparison.
    5DMk2,400D,EOS3 50mm F1.4,28-75 F2.8,GRDIII 28mm F1.9
    www.flickr.com/jenson_goh

Mr Ang's picture has less elements in it. Lines, dead tree, rocks. Something that looks Less, I would concentrate more at the sun.

Less is more is my preference. :-}

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurry80 View Post
    Mr Ang's pic is dominated by blacks if i put it in comparison.
    Ah okay. Will try to learn from Mr Ang I am just a beginner, barely six months started out shooting DSLR.
    Be back in couple of days, may not have internet access.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Ah okay. Will try to learn from Mr Ang I am just a beginner, barely six months started out shooting DSLR.
    Be back in couple of days, may not have internet access.

I'm also just a beginner...just pass my 3rd month into my 4th LOL
    Arn't we all once?

OT: Anyhow cheerios to spain~ but what boring match.