Thread: Need help on books..

Default Need help on books..

Hi all,

I need some advise on books that I could read up on general fundamentals of photography, angles and wedding or events shoot. Most of the time I take photos during parties and events.

In addition, I had also read through the highly recommended Scott Kelby's: The digital photography 1-3. I understand that it does touch on weddings and events here and there together with photography as a whole.

Wondering if there are other recommended books on the topics above that I can refer?

Default Re: Need help on books..

Nothing specific that I really recommend, but basically ploughing through books in the library will turn up lots of choices. For basic photography, alot of them are pretty similar. For specific disciplines, the books in the library are pretty well allocated too. The more you read, the easier it is to identify a book that is not what you're looking for... and the best part of this is, it's all free!!! =)
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

I will recommend "National Geographic: The Ultimate Field Guide to Photography" to learn some tips and fundamentals of general photography.

Quote Originally Posted by bangchew86 View Post
    Hi all,

I need some advise on books that I could read up on general fundamentals of photography, angles and wedding or events shoot. Most of the time I take photos during parties and events.

In addition, I had also read through the highly recommended Scott Kelby's: The digital photography 1-3. I understand that it does touch on weddings and events here and there together with photography as a whole.

Wondering if there are other recommended books on the topics above that I can refer?
    If you've already read through Scott Kelby's books 1-3, do you still feel very 'blur' about general photography? Maybe ask yourself what are you unsure of specifically... no point chasing book after book trying to digest it all.
    To grasp the basics of photography should be fairly ok.

Don't forget to go out and shoot with an inquisitive and critical mind. Every shot, you must have some thought and intention behind it. Continue like this, and you should improve very quickly.
    Exploring! :)

Hi all,

For events, the technicalities, I would suggest books on flash photography and lighting.

E.g.

a) Mastering Digital Flash Photography: The Complete Reference Guide (A Lark Photography Book) by Chris M.T. George (Paperback - July 1, 2008)
    b) Speedlights & Speedlites: Creative Flash Photography at the Speed of Light by Lou Jones, Bob Keenan, and Stephen Ostrowski (Paperback - May 28, 2009)

Then follow by books on weddings photography like

a) Digital Wedding Photography: Capturing Beautiful Memories by photographer. Glen Johnson (Paperback - Aug. 7, 2006)

If you read enough, you start to believe you'll need those F/2.8 lenses.

That's a quite light summary of 3 books ... have you really read them or just flipping through looking for the 'magic wedding settings'? There is still Bryan Peterson "Understanding Exposure" for the fundamentals. Google reveals tons of websites dealing with composition, some fairly basic, some more in detail.
    Last edited by Octarine; 30th June 2010 at 11:05 AM.
    EOS

Can't recommend you any books on the area of photography you want to shoot in, but Riceball Photography Books at Funan, Orchard Central and Parkway Parade might be useful for you.

Cheers!
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

Bryan Peterson "Understanding Exposure" and "Learning to see creativity" are two great books u can consider
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Hey all,

Sorry for the late response. Thanks for all your feedback and recommendations, really appreciate it. Actually I really interested in flash photography. I believe the books recommendated by above would be of great help, will check it out.

I am also keen to learn more about angles as most of my shots are pretty direct, mainly standing shots. I've also tried shooting at different angles randomly without any knowledge and pics still turn out to be unimpressive. Therefore, looking for books to supplement this area as well.