Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 91

Thread: Should I Buy a Canon 7D??

  1. #21
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: Should I Buy a Canon 7D??

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnKohJyhShen View Post
    So my problem is that i like to have my own stuff, meaning personally, and when i go into a hobby, i tend to want to have the best so as to not waste time building up from the beginning and most likely losing more money. So what i wan to enquire is that, is it a good idea for me to purchase a Canon 7D at this stage?
    Are you talking about hobby or business? For any form of business I'd agree to get the best tools right away instead of going step by step. But for a hobby with the occasional usage as you describe it? If you have defined your budget then stay within. Many people use cameras that are much older than the usual model refresh cycle in DSLR market - without talking about 'lost money' and what not.
    Next: if you were a hobby cook, what would be better in order to achieve best results: getting a brand new kitchen and equipment for 6-digit numbers (I know, one can spend also more) or finding a master cook who is giving classes during which you finally learn what tools are needed and in which quality level?
    Stick to the 500D, maybe buy over from your brother if he's not into photography any longer. Shoot more, get classes, join outings, get experiences. Learn about light and how to work with it. Many members here have presented beautiful pictures taken with entry level cameras. Some have learned the hard way that a new camera doesn't mean the pictures come out at "Wow" level automatically.
    EOS

  2. #22
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: Should I Buy a Canon 7D??

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnKohJyhShen View Post
    back to the point, i want to buy a camera for my self that has as many functions as possible with good quality, this way i can use it through out my "life" and have sorta no boundries in terms of exploring the world of photography. So like i said, its nothing to do with showing off the best camera, but instead its having the "best" so that I can make it last and explore endlessly.
    Most boundaries are in the head of the photographer but not in the camera body. The basics of photography are now roundabout 200 years old: aperture, shutter speed, ISO, focusing. New cameras will come with new automated functions - but that's only a help in certain conditions that match the predefined functions. It's nice to have initially, but later you'll find your own ways to overcome it.
    Recently, there was somebody complaining about the missing Sports Mode that was on the 50D (as well as on your 500D) but he couldn't find it on his brand new 7D ... Hope you won't be disappointed as well
    EOS

  3. #23

    Default Re: Should I Buy a Canon 7D??

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Are you talking about hobby or business? For any form of business I'd agree to get the best tools right away instead of going step by step. But for a hobby with the occasional usage as you describe it? If you have defined your budget then stay within. Many people use cameras that are much older than the usual model refresh cycle in DSLR market - without talking about 'lost money' and what not.
    Next: if you were a hobby cook, what would be better in order to achieve best results: getting a brand new kitchen and equipment for 6-digit numbers (I know, one can spend also more) or finding a master cook who is giving classes during which you finally learn what tools are needed and in which quality level?
    Stick to the 500D, maybe buy over from your brother if he's not into photography any longer. Shoot more, get classes, join outings, get experiences. Learn about light and how to work with it. Many members here have presented beautiful pictures taken with entry level cameras. Some have learned the hard way that a new camera doesn't mean the pictures come out at "Wow" level automatically.

    good advice , thanks.

    anyway, so far its a hobby, nothing serious yet, but it tend to spend alot on my hobbies so cost isnt really the issue as long as its reasonable (max $4k ). I'm hoping to bring it in to a more professional level in the future but that a long way to go, so yah. thanks again for your reply.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Should I Buy a Canon 7D??

    Hi, FF is the next toy after 500D.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Should I Buy a Canon 7D??

    Hi Shawn, buying a higher level DSLR doesn't take your skills to a higher level. Since you already have a 500D to play and learn with, why not just stick to it for the time being? At this stage i think you should focus brushing up your skills rather than wanting "the best" equipment.

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnKohJyhShen View Post
    Hey guys, I'm Shawn, I'm an amateur photographer just having it as a hobby. I'm currently using a Canon 500d, well its sorta my brother's but he dosent use it much. Anyway, I'm looking into getting my own camera and pursuing this hobby to a higher level.

    I understand that a 7D might be way out of my class, the prices is quiet expensive and i may be under-qualified to understand most of the functions of such a high level DSLR.

    So my problem is that i like to have my own stuff, meaning personally, and when i go into a hobby, i tend to want to have the best so as to not waste time building up from the beginning and most likely losing more money. So what i wan to enquire is that, is it a good idea for me to purchase a Canon 7D at this stage?

    Thanks
    5D3|1740L|70200F4L|40

  6. #26

    Default Re: Should I Buy a Canon 7D??

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Most boundaries are in the head of the photographer but not in the camera body. The basics of photography are now roundabout 200 years old: aperture, shutter speed, ISO, focusing. New cameras will come with new automated functions - but that's only a help in certain conditions that match the predefined functions. It's nice to have initially, but later you'll find your own ways to overcome it.
    Recently, there was somebody complaining about the missing Sports Mode that was on the 50D (as well as on your 500D) but he couldn't find it on his brand new 7D ... Hope you won't be disappointed as well
    actually what are the basic setting for sport mode? high ISO, big aperture?

  7. #27

    Default Re: Should I Buy a Canon 7D??

    Quote Originally Posted by mimik07 View Post
    Hi Shawn, buying a higher level DSLR doesn't take your skills to a higher level. Since you already have a 500D to play and learn with, why not just stick to it for the time being? At this stage i think you should focus brushing up your skills rather than wanting "the best" equipment.
    hi thanks for your comment, erm i've just posted a reply may be u havent seen it, but what i actually meant was to have a camera with a wider range of functions to explore with but still going at a learning pace. may be you could refer to my pervious post to see what i mean
    thanks again for the comment.

    I'll be playing with my 500d for quiet awhile more since i havent yet raised the money hehe

  8. #28

    Default Re: Should I Buy a Canon 7D??

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Most boundaries are in the head of the photographer but not in the camera body. The basics of photography are now roundabout 200 years old: aperture, shutter speed, ISO, focusing. New cameras will come with new automated functions - but that's only a help in certain conditions that match the predefined functions. It's nice to have initially, but later you'll find your own ways to overcome it.
    Recently, there was somebody complaining about the missing Sports Mode that was on the 50D (as well as on your 500D) but he couldn't find it on his brand new 7D ... Hope you won't be disappointed as well
    haha i also noticed that, it onli had the more operative settings like manual , AV, TV and stuff like tt but no night mode, sports mode , and stuff like tt

  9. #29

    Default Re: Should I Buy a Canon 7D??

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnKohJyhShen View Post
    hi thanks for your comment, erm i've just posted a reply may be u havent seen it, but what i actually meant was to have a camera with a wider range of functions to explore with but still going at a learning pace. may be you could refer to my pervious post to see what i mean
    thanks again for the comment.

    I'll be playing with my 500d for quiet awhile more since i havent yet raised the money hehe
    continue using your 500D for the next few weeks and list down the things you hate most and like most on that camera, use that as a guidlines for buying your new camera.

    personally, i move from 500D to 5DmkII, then i realized i am more in to sport, bird shotting, high fps. Should have chosen 7D although my 5DmkII serves me well. so do your homework first and knows what is your need for that camera.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Should I Buy a Canon 7D??

    Quote Originally Posted by takengo2003 View Post
    continue using your 500D for the next few weeks and list down the things you hate most and like most on that camera, use that as a guidlines for buying your new camera.

    personally, i move from 500D to 5DmkII, then i realized i am more in to sport, bird shotting, high fps. Should have chosen 7D although my 5DmkII serves me well. so do your homework first and knows what is your need for that camera.
    Hi, yah i've been reading and compareing the cameras, mainly 500d, 5d mark 2 and the 7d.
    and if im nt wrong the 7d would suit u better because of the shutter speed am i right?
    what kinda lens do u use to shoot birds, is it a zoom lens, cause u cant get that close to birds?

  11. #31

    Default Re: Should I Buy a Canon 7D??

    500D is a good cam! You won't go wrong with it, stick with it for sometime and explore your shooting style.
    Find out what genre you shoot, find out are you into wide or tele-zoom shooting?

    It better to get some good lens before you made the jump.

    For me I jump from 500D to 7D and now to 5DMKII.
    I appreciate the 5DMKII more than the 7D as i like the IQ from the FF and most importantly able to shoot wider using my 17-40mm.
    Last edited by qingtian; 30th June 2010 at 10:14 AM.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Should I Buy a Canon 7D??

    Shawn bro...

    its ur passion and money... Buy Canon 7D

    join the outing to polish ur skills n in time u will be a better photog

    dun look back in regret!

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    481

    Default Re: Should I Buy a Canon 7D??

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnKohJyhShen View Post


    just wanted to explore a higher end product at a slower pace
    thanks once again
    What lenses do you currently have? And will be getting, assuming you are also getting the 7D.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Should I Buy a Canon 7D??

    what is your total budget? need to consider equipments too, eg: lens, flash. If you don't need the additional features of 7D, save the money for 40D or 50D, then spend on lenses. BTW, pro lenses are not cheap too.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Should I Buy a Canon 7D??

    Quote Originally Posted by hori View Post
    What lenses do you currently have? And will be getting, assuming you are also getting the 7D.

    currenly im gonna get a canon EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM just to try out zooming in and stuff like that. I like a very wide range of photography both wide and zoom so i'm pretty okay with both

    but i would like to take more sports photos being a sports guy myself

  16. #36

    Default Re: Should I Buy a Canon 7D??

    Quote Originally Posted by frozentomtom View Post
    what is your total budget? need to consider equipments too, eg: lens, flash. If you don't need the additional features of 7D, save the money for 40D or 50D, then spend on lenses. BTW, pro lenses are not cheap too.
    True to that man, thanks, i did consider the lens factor but since my bro will have the 500d and if i have the 7d, we could buy a range of lenses together and just exchange them when we need, so like if he get lens A and i get B we could swap anytime and save cost tt way, i also have many friends with diffrent lenses to exchange with and try but yah lenses are dam ex these day especially the pro ones

    my budget btw is under 4000 or slightly above

  17. #37

    Default Re: Should I Buy a Canon 7D??

    If money is not an issue, then sure. Go get the camera you want.

    I would only advise you to look at all the options available and not just going for a 7D just because its the latest. Try to stretch your money (You mentioned ~$4k) a bit so that you have a reserve to get one or two more lenses once you have used the camera and know what to get next.

    As mentioned by so many here. Remember to upgrade the photographer as well

  18. #38
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Should I Buy a Canon 7D??

    Hi shawn,

    you should consider carefully, the differences between the 500d and the 7d, and whether these differences mean anything to you.

    my personal experience is that I'm also currently struggling with the itch to upgrade to go FX and buy the Nikon D700.
    2 things that are holding me back are the price and the size/weight.
    My D80 is still serving me well, and capable of delivering the images that I imagine in my head... in other words, my skills have not outgrown my equipment even after about 2.5 years.

    But ultimately it's about how comfortable you are with going ahead to plonk that cash.
    Consider the options carefully, and once you've decided, no more regrets!

    I would just like to end with one pertinent point: the chase for the latest model is endless. At the rate technology is progressing, product life cycles are expected to be shorter and shorter. Who knows? There might be a 7D replacement sooner than you realize, and what are you gonna do then?
    Exploring! :)

  19. #39
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Should I Buy a Canon 7D??

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnKohJyhShen View Post
    currenly im gonna get a canon EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM just to try out zooming in and stuff like that. I like a very wide range of photography both wide and zoom so i'm pretty okay with both

    but i would like to take more sports photos being a sports guy myself
    best not to learn and use terms like 'zooming in' incorrectly

    'zoom' is the act of changing focal length (eg. from 70mm-100mm) by turning a ring on the lens.
    So a 75-300 is a zoom lens.
    A 10-22 is also a zoom lens.
    Changing from 10-22mm is also 'zooming', but probably not in the same context as you described.

    75-300 is a telephoto zoom lens.
    Exploring! :)

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    481

    Default Re: Should I Buy a Canon 7D??

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnKohJyhShen View Post
    currenly im gonna get a canon EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM just to try out zooming in and stuff like that. I like a very wide range of photography both wide and zoom so i'm pretty okay with both

    but i would like to take more sports photos being a sports guy myself
    Nice choice of photography. Matching your interest with photography.

    Then the 7D's 8 fps may interest you. The 50D/40D has a lower 6.3fps/6.5fps. I still think the 50D/40D continuous drive is sufficient for most sport uses given the disparity in price as compared to brand=new 7D.

    May I suggest to get a resale 40D (6.5fps) and a resale 70-200 F/4 non-IS. They just cost about $1600-$1700. The 70-200, though shorter on the tele end to the 75-300, gives better image quality and has a bigger and constant aperture at F/4. The reason why I suggested the non-IS is because I believe for sports activities, the photographer normally shoot at higher shutter speed to 'freeze' the action, hence the IS is not very useful in this regard. Furthermore, the IS version costs twice as much.

    If you shoot outdoor sports with sufficient light, you can get a teleconverter to increase your reach on the 70-200 and sacrificing maximum aperture. For e.g. a TC2x will 'change' your 70-200 to a 140-400 and your maximum aperture to F8.

    However, I'm not a sports photographer, so perhaps some other forummers with extensive experience in sports photographer can better recommend you their starting setup and how they progress from there.
    Last edited by hori; 30th June 2010 at 10:49 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •