Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thailand, Bangkok. First timer

Default Re: Thailand, Bangkok. First timer

Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    Do share with us about how safe is bkk now, especially any signs of riots, etc. I am planning to go in Dec but I don't know if I should book the holidays or not. Thanks...I am planning to go for photography trip too
    Imgoing in dec. Cos elections in November. So far like nv hear anything leh. Should be quite safe unless major stuff happens. I'm going for shopping trip with my gf but will bring my backpack with me. Dunno whether I should bring my tripod leh.

Completely forgotten about this thread. Bangkok trip didn't push through.
    Last edited by digitalpimp; 24th November 2010 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    Imgoing in dec. Cos elections in November. So far like nv hear anything leh. Should be quite safe unless major stuff happens. I'm going for shopping trip with my gf but will bring my backpack with me. Dunno whether I should bring my tripod leh.
    I'm going with my gf in December as well, the flood has subsided right? Hopefully no red shirts protests again...

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    I'm going with my gf in December as well, the flood has subsided right? Hopefully no red shirts protests again...
    Going for shopping trip too? I'm gonna read the news and will try to update if there's anything man. I'm going 15-19. What abt you bro?

Going for shopping trip too? I'm gonna read the news and will try to update if there's anything man. I'm going 15-19. What abt you bro?
    Shopping for my gf haha, for me, street shooting plus coolie I'm going from 10-14, seems like no chance of us meeting there.

Shopping for my gf haha, for me, street shooting plus coolie I'm going from 10-14, seems like no chance of us meeting there.
    Same for mr but who knows maybe I'll do my fair bit of shopping too lol. Yea no chance of meeting haha!

Same for mr but who knows maybe I'll do my fair bit of shopping too lol. Yea no chance of meeting haha!
    If you are going to shop for yourself, can try pantib plaza if you know the price. MBK is more trustworthy but more expensive as well.

I am going on 15 to 19 as well! My only concern is that if I use a tripod and self take a picture with my gf in front of some scenery, will someone just grab my whole setup and run away? Not just in bkk but in general. Any precautions you guys can suggest?

I am going on 15 to 19 as well! My only concern is that if I use a tripod and self take a picture with my gf in front of some scenery, will someone just grab my whole setup and run away? Not just in bkk but in general. Any precautions you guys can suggest?
    BKK is quite safe, you can sling your camera all the way there no one will bat an eyelid. Of course the usual precautions apply, just be careful with your gear. If need someone to take photo for you can ask those japanese tourists, usually tons of them there, lesser risk than asking locals I think.

If you are going to shop for yourself, can try pantib plaza if you know the price. MBK is more trustworthy but more expensive as well.
    Thanks for the tips!

Cool! I booked my tickets from jetstar. I don't think I would bring tripod cos it's most likely always walking around malls and streets for me. A little heavy to carry around leh.

What is best (cheapest/cost effective) the way of roaming mobile phone plan?

Which provider will also provide data plan? Don't want to end up with $1,000 roaming charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike66 View Post
    What is best (cheapest/cost effective) the way of roaming mobile phone plan?

Which provider will also provide data plan? Don't want to end up with $1,000 roaming charges.
    Try Starhub. I use the dataroam on my bb like crazy but the bill is no shocker. $120 more to be exact so it is still palatable.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Hi, I'm from bangkok

1. beware of pickpockets keep your wallet properly especially Chatuchak MArket
    2. try avoid wearing red for time being.
    3. if you want to take a photo of someone ask if the person is ok with it.
    4. If u want to buy clothing can go to the Platinum mall (t-shirt dirt cheap)
    5. Suan lum Night Bazaar a good place to take photo.
    My Work Nikonian

Quote Originally Posted by kureinai View Post
    Hi, I'm from bangkok

1. beware of pickpockets keep your wallet properly especially Chatuchak MArket
    2. try avoid wearing red for time being.
    3. if you want to take a photo of someone ask if the person is ok with it.
    4. If u want to buy clothing can go to the Platinum mall (t-shirt dirt cheap)
    5. Suan lum Night Bazaar a good place to take photo.
    Platinum mall is more for girls! I'm there now!

Quote Originally Posted by kureinai View Post
    ...Suan lum Night Bazaar a good place to take photo...
    Isn't Suan Lum Night Bazaar pending closure and most of the shops have already shutdown their operations? Heard that the lease for the land has expired and the owner has decided to do some other development instead.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    Isn't Suan Lum Night Bazaar pending closure and most of the shops have already shutdown their operations? Heard that the lease for the land has expired and the owner has decided to do some other development instead.
    My is the place a goner soon ?

Was there before, cooling and easy to move around... will be back to BKK during CNY period

Missed most for Thai Food...Aroy mak mak doi...

Quote Originally Posted by silvertrek View Post
    My is the place a goner soon ?

Was there before, cooling and easy to move around... will be back to BKK during CNY period

Missed most for Thai Food...Aroy mak mak doi...
    I've passed by Suan Lum Night Bazaar several times and saw that most of the shops has already moved out. Not sure if its completely closed already but I will try to make a trip there soon to confirm before posting here again.

I was at suan lum night market last december. most of the shops were not open and some of the areas were already teared odnw or in the mist of tearing down. wooden planks all over. but still quite a number of tourists visiting not sure why.

I was at suan lum night market last december. most of the shops were not open and some of the areas were already teared odnw or in the mist of tearing down. wooden planks all over. but still quite a number of tourists visiting not sure why.
    I think its probably be because of the pubs that are still in operation. Will provide some updates this weekend

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12