Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thailand, Bangkok. First timer

Default Thailand, Bangkok. First timer

i going to Bangkok next week, and i have a few questions to ask. Anyone who had been there please do give me some advise.

1)Can i hand carry my camera bag (Nova 180Aw) and tripod?

2)Where to visit there?

3)What are the things that i had to watch out?

4)Is nightlife there safe?

5)Where to go with gf and friends at night?

Thank you so much in advance.
    Pentax K-x, Pentax Super A, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Tamron AF70-300mm, Pentax-M 50mm f1.7

Default Re: Thailand, Bangkok. First timer

Quote Originally Posted by speedfactory View Post
    i going to Bangkok next week, and i have a few questions to ask. Anyone who had been there please do give me some advise.

2)Where to visit there?

(1) Can. Nobody will stop you.

(2) Since it is your first time, anywhere would be a good place. Visit the Chao Phraya Market (แม่น้ำเจ้าพระยา). It is lively and exciting.

(3) Thief.

(4) Quite safe. Don't flaunt your expensive gear in front of them. Otherwise you are inviting trouble.

(5) Depending on what you would like to see and experience. Some want to go for wonderful food. Some want to try out the famed sex experience. Some want to watch the tiger shows. I would personally prefer to visit the temples which is an enriching experience. So it really depend on your preferences.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    (1) Can. Nobody will stop you.

(2) Since it is your first time, anywhere would be a good place. Visit the Chao Phraya Market (แม่น้ำเจ้าพระยา). It is lively and exciting.

(3) Thief.

(4) Quite safe. Don't flaunt your expensive gear in front of them. Otherwise you are inviting trouble.

(5) Depending on what you would like to see and experience. Some want to go for wonderful food. Some want to try out the famed sex experience. Some want to watch the tiger shows. I would personally prefer to visit the temples which is an enriching experience. So it really depend on your preferences.
    ok thanks for your help man
    Pentax K-x, Pentax Super A, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Tamron AF70-300mm, Pentax-M 50mm f1.7

It all depends on how you wan it to be.

1. Land of evil deeds
    2. Enriching trip (temples, culture)
    3. Fattening (eat eat eat)
    What i need is the skill and vision of a pro... not a pro camera!

Quote Originally Posted by fergo View Post
    It all depends on how you wan it to be.

1. Land of evil deeds
    2. Enriching trip (temples, culture)
    3. Fattening (eat eat eat)
    Hehe, i think my group will go for the fattening, but myself will go for the Temples, Culture, Shopping and Insects eating(Cos i like to eat special things which i never eat before, but still i won't eat those endangered animals).

Anyway What do you mean by "Land of evil deeds", and if you mean prostitution, then can forget about it liao, cos my GF going with me too. If i go i sure kanna cut off my di*k one......

If I can add a bit more for question 2.

Where to visit..... not sure what is your interest and will you be staying.....

The usual place will be doing the Grand Palace (where the entrance fee includes the Vimanmek Palace in Dusit), Wat Pho, Wat Arun, Klong boat ride etc.

If you like markets... do visit

1.Pak Klong Talat (Flower market) it's open 24 hours but the best time is somewhere really early in the morning.

2.Chatuchak Weekend Market, its huge and lots of photo opportunities

3.Suan Lum nite market, open everynite, smaller and a more organised version of #2.

4.Patpong nite market (caution: it will be between all the seedy bars here)

5. Amulet market (not far from the Grand Palace)

Walk the Chinatown.... where? everywhere.

Take the Chao Phraya express boat up and down the river. You can take the BTS to Saphan Taksin and walk to the pier.

Bangkok is quite safe as long as you don't flaunt yourself.

btw, I'll be there next week......

Quote Originally Posted by rizraz View Post
    If I can add a bit more for question 2.

Where to visit..... not sure what is your interest and will you be staying.....

The usual place will be doing the Grand Palace (where the entrance fee includes the Vimanmek Palace in Dusit), Wat Pho, Wat Arun, Klong boat ride etc.

If you like markets... do visit

1.Pak Klong Talat (Flower market) it's open 24 hours but the best time is somewhere really early in the morning.

2.Chatuchak Weekend Market, its huge and lots of photo opportunities

3.Suan Lum nite market, open everynite, smaller and a more organised version of #2.

4.Patpong nite market (caution: it will be between all the seedy bars here)

5. Amulet market (not far from the Grand Palace)

Walk the Chinatown.... where? everywhere.

Take the Chao Phraya express boat up and down the river. You can take the BTS to Saphan Taksin and walk to the pier.

Bangkok is quite safe as long as you don't flaunt yourself.

btw, I'll be there next week......
    i forget about the name of the hotel cos my friend booked it, and me too will be going there next week. if you see me just call me, i'll be carring a red pentax k-x camera. and thanks for all the advises.

Night life, can go Thong lor, "Iron fairies" or "Saxophone Pub" http://saxophonepub.com/2010/
    , near Victory Monument...these are clean pubs, nice live Jazz stuff..

If purely for drinking, try those pubs along Sukumvit or in fact most places.. sometimes a bottle costs 50 baht all night long..

If you are into fortune telling for fun...do try it out, mine was 90% accurate. There are no lack of fortune tellers all over the place

Some can read fortune from feet instead of palm..

Take it for fun, not too serious though

i forget about the name of the hotel cos my friend booked it, and me too will be going there next week. if you see me just call me, i'll be carring a red pentax k-x camera. and thanks for all the advises.

No worries on your hotel......

Well, I will keep an eye for the red pentax, will be going for street shooting, the photography kind, maybe around the flower market, ban bat, ban krua, klong toei, chatuchak and a day trip to ayutthaya by train.

Quote Originally Posted by rizraz View Post
    No worries on your hotel......

Well, I will keep an eye for the red pentax, will be going for street shooting, the photography kind, maybe around the flower market, ban bat, ban krua, klong toei, chatuchak and a day trip to ayutthaya by train.
    hehe see you

Night life go "RCA"......just jump into any cab and say RCA all cabbie will understand.

RCA is like the pub district the whole area full of univeristy students, office exec, tourist...

Just be alert esp approach by the locals near tourist spots like Grand Palace or temples, by nature they are shy people, so they don't talk to stranger. These scammers will tell stories like temple is closed for whatever reasons and recommend to go to jewellery exhibition or to another temple by tuk tuk. Don't believe them and just smile at them and proceed to the temple which never closed.

Bro,
    I'm actually from Bangkok. Born and raised. I'm currently doing my masters in Singapore

First off!! Thanks for visiting my country!! Our tourism has really been affected due to the previous incidents as you all have known.

Yes bro, feel free. You are fine during the day and at night as long as its a well lit area and field with people, not in the middle of an empty street with barely any lights....

2)Where to visit there?

The above posts have already covered what "most" tourists would go. Since i'm a local, i have a few places to go EAT!
    - SPRING&SUMMER , google it, its an amazing restaurant in sukhimvit area with amazing fusion food with sweets!
    - try the street food! theres a lot of nice beef noodles, etc on the streets.
    - try "secret garden" on Sathorn road.
    - remember to take ur gf to Platinum! she will love it there. Do not waste ur money in the shopping malls

There are many other cool places to go. PM if u want to know more

-watch out for ur stuff bro

- to an extent yes. Just dun go to those gettho places and u'll b fine bro

- I suggest goin to Thonglor area and Ekamai. There are many good clubs where all the local young ppl hang out.
    1. Funky Villa
    2. Muse
    3. Curve
    4. Demo

You will for sure meet international students there!
    http://minus-2.smugmug.com/
    Currently using: 5DmkII+17-40L+24 1.4L+70-200 F4L+430EXII

Some quick shpg pointers:

1)MBK shopping ctr - all the "chiong" stuff like iphone accessories/branded Ts/ watches etc ( rmbr almost 80% are imitation stuff e.g polo ralph ard 200 bhts...billabong bermudas etc

2) Platinum Shpg Ctr - many local wholesalers/distributors. Can get really good and cheap stuff mainly clothings. E.g 3 watches for 75 bhts each !

3) Panthip Plaza - exactly the same as our sim lim sq. was quoted a lens abt 100 sing cheaper than MS color

added some info to this... enjoy yourself there.

Quote Originally Posted by dev2k8 View Post
    Some quick shpg pointers:

1)MBK shopping ctr - all the "chiong" stuff like iphone accessories/branded Ts/ watches etc ( rmbr almost 80% are imitation stuff e.g polo ralph ard 200 bhts...billabong bermudas etc
    there's this photo equip shop fotofile which u can check out

2) Platinum Shpg Ctr - many local wholesalers/distributors. Can get really good and cheap stuff mainly clothings. E.g 3 watches for 75 bhts each !

cheap place to get clothes esp for ladies. but they usually require u to get at least 2pc/3pc for better discount... spend alot here because the price for 1 pc is ex, so end up gettin 2 or more

3) Panthip Plaza - exactly the same as our sim lim sq. was quoted a lens abt 100 sing cheaper than MS color

i missed out this place the last time i went, so no comment on this

2)Where to visit there?

1) Yes

2) grand palace, temples, chinatown, markets etc... go to wikitravel for more details. if you are daring enough, can go visit the outskits, u'll be rewarded

3) Locals who approach you and speaks perfect english, beware of them.

oh yah, one more thing, watch your waist line, can gain quite a bit of weight from all the gd food there

4) can't help u on this

5) if you are a music lover, go to this place called Saxophone pub, happening music there.

can visit night markets too

Quote Originally Posted by Minus-2 View Post
    Bro,
    I'm actually from Bangkok. Born and raised. I'm currently doing my masters in Singapore

First off!! Thanks for visiting my country!! Our tourism has really been affected due to the previous incidents as you all have known.

Yes bro, feel free. You are fine during the day and at night as long as its a well lit area and field with people, not in the middle of an empty street with barely any lights....

2)Where to visit there?

The above posts have already covered what "most" tourists would go. Since i'm a local, i have a few places to go EAT!
    - SPRING&SUMMER , google it, its an amazing restaurant in sukhimvit area with amazing fusion food with sweets!
    - remember to take ur gf to Platinum! she will love it there. Do not waste ur money in the shopping malls

- I suggest goin to Thonglor area and Ekamai. There are many good clubs where all the local young ppl hang out.
    1. Funky Villa
    2. Muse
    3. Curve
    4. Demo

welcome to singapore too! hahaa.. i love your country! the food the people.... unfortunately i dun have the luxury of taking leave and making my way there for a short holiday trip.
    What i need is the skill and vision of a pro... not a pro camera!

Quote Originally Posted by Minus-2 View Post
    Bro,

2)Where to visit there?

1. Funky Villa
    2. Muse
    3. Curve
    4. Demo

Hey bro thanks for this. Will visit your country with my wife first week of November.

Do share with us about how safe is bkk now, especially any signs of riots, etc. I am planning to go in Dec but I don't know if I should book the holidays or not. Thanks...I am planning to go for photography trip too

Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    Do share with us about how safe is bkk now, especially any signs of riots, etc. I am planning to go in Dec but I don't know if I should book the holidays or not. Thanks...I am planning to go for photography trip too
    Will do bro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast