Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feedback Its a Matter of Authority & Credibility

Default Re: Feedback Its a Matter of Authority & Credibility

i think if one is interested in making pictures, one need to be thick skinned.... just do what u like, just follow whatever style u like... u can emulate (copy according to others), get inspired ...

just do it for your own... even if the whole world don't like it, it's ok....

of course, make sure u have a job first

i guess what he means is not to attack other ppl's work... giving non constructive and sarcastic comments.

VR-Man:"Who are YOU to tell me my show sux?! Have you EVER produced a film before huh?!?!

Good read..thanks for sharing
    5D3|1740L|70200F4L|40

Blog Entries

well. on the question of this. i once had a debate with night86mare over this and i still vividly remember it.

my take: if ur not professional, aka ur portfolio sucks, u shldnt be criticising anyone

night86mare's take: u dun have to be a professional to tell if someone's photo is nice or not.

and i concur with night86mare much later on. to give u an idea why....

1: if ur tasting food, do u have to be an expert at cooking to say if a person's food sucks or not? i doubt so.

2:similiarly, for a photo, do u have to be proficient in the art of photography to judge? not true.

i believe that critiques are subjective, and of course it applies not just here, but almost every competition. some judges that i know of dun have that kind of amazing portfolio that some of the CS top members have. yet that will not hamper the judgement what. unless ur checking for technicality, anyone who has an eye for art can be a judge. even a painter can judge composition as this kind of stuff are applied accross disciplines. while some may feel bad being shot by someone else who seems to shoot worse than them, bear in mine its just a learning process, everyone is learning.

my advice on this: ppl viewing critiques shld read with a pinch of salt. its just an opinion, while some may be better in a sense. if ur too egoistic, then its pointless to ask for critiques. might as well post pic and then lock thread.

ppl who are giving critiques, try not to kill the enthusiasm of the ppl. we all been through all these as newbies before. everyone will makemistakes. no point making a critique sound like a "i hope u give up photography" speech right?

just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    Is pros always correct in the first place? Just cos they are pro and experienced doesnt means they are always right? People makes mistakes so do pros.

I think bottom line is one must be able to accept comments from pros, amatuers and non photographers be it good or bad and is always looking to improve.

Reason being simple, sometimes people sees what you don't sees.

true. i tried showing the same photo to pros, amatuers and non photographers who knows nothing at all but just simply enjoying the photos. they have different point of views. and it's really interesting.
    Nikon D90 | N18-105mm | T90mm | SB-600
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post

1: if ur tasting food, do u have to be an expert at cooking to say if a person's food sucks or not? i doubt so.
    well said. i hate bitter taste, so i love sweet durian, but my family say i dont know how to appreciate a good durian. so are they wrong or am i wrong?

i once went to a shang hai friend's house for dinner, though i love "heavy taste" food, i find their food way too oily and salty in comparison to local food. so can i comment their food are too oily and salty?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

i think there is no right or wrong for things like art... everyone is right.

if someone say this pic is good, he is right.. another come and see it, and say this is the worst pic i have seen, he is also right.

next year these 2 guys see the same pic again, and they said this is the greatest pic, they are again right..

end of the day, it matters if u r earning $ from pic or not... if u r earning $$, then u must try to please your client... that's all...

great article. thanks for sharing

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    well said. i hate bitter taste, so i love sweet durian, but my family say i dont know how to appreciate a good durian. so are they wrong or am i wrong?

i once went to a shang hai friend's house for dinner, though i love "heavy taste" food, i find their food way too oily and salty in comparison to local food. so can i comment their food are too oily and salty?
    yep. ur entitled to ur opinions. but it differs for different ppl. so usually, comment in a mild non-offensive way. u dun have to be an excellent durian tree grower to appreciate durians too!

Once you show up your photos to the public, you have to be open up for criticisms. If not, just keep them to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    yep. ur entitled to ur opinions. but it differs for different ppl. so usually, comment in a mild non-offensive way. u dun have to be an excellent durian tree grower to appreciate durians too!
    comment in a mild non-offensive way is the KEY!!!!

one's character is judged by the way he speaks and the things he said.

a great man respect all, even the lowly ones...

IF Makansutra says that the food at a particular stall is fantastic, and we all believe without tasting it, its because Makansutra has credibility.

If the person says your photos are such and such, but pays you, cos its your client, its because your client has authority for that piece of work.

If a anonimous person comments online, without authority and credibility, then you just take it, if u think if it makes sense, otherwise, just throw it out to the rubbish bin like we do for junk mail.

I think the issue is SINCERITY. some are sincere about making the other person be a better photographer, but there are some that just want to insult and demoralise. Some are envious of other's ability.
    Last edited by razor; 30th June 2010 at 06:49 PM.
    It is easier to critique than to create ; www.razin-photography.com
    My studio is available for rent

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyboy View Post
    Scott Bourne gives his 2 cents on forums with critique sections filled with amateurs and rude people.

http://goingpro2010.com/?p=574
    Nice read

Maybe he verbalises why I don't put up pictures for critique. I may break down and cry by all the harsh comments or the 'wah great shots!"

I think I would prefer to share with a group of photography friends my work if I want some honest and constructive criticisms. The anonymity of online forums makes it easier to be careless with one's words.

Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post

VR-Man:"Who are YOU to tell me my show sux?! Have you EVER produced a film before huh?!?!
    Oh man, that's a gem.

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    i think there is no right or wrong for things like art... everyone is right.

if someone say this pic is good, he is right.. another come and see it, and say this is the worst pic i have seen, he is also right.

next year these 2 guys see the same pic again, and they said this is the greatest pic, they are again right..

end of the day, it matters if u r earning $ from pic or not... if u r earning $$, then u must try to please your client... that's all...

Quote Originally Posted by hori View Post
    Oh man, that's a gem.

Agreed.

Taking a photo (ART-for pleasure) is to please yourself. If you keep changing your style to please everyone, then it is not you...not your photo.

"To please everyone is to please no one."

He is happy with you photo but he is not...so how?

If you are happy...then it doesn't matter at all.

Another way to look at it....is the person (comment giver) important to you. Like my wife said: "can you dun take my face at this angle...i dun like". Than I will not do that again.

i think there is a slight difference between critique and opinion. Saying (typing) "I like this picture" may not be very useful to help someone improve, but it is a form of encouragement.

Critique on the other hand requires someone with some knowledge about an area, and probably requires breaking a picture into smaller pieces and analysing the lighting and composition etc. I wouldnt know, I'm not a critic. But I do enjoy looking at the works of others. If I like them, I will say it.

Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    If a anonimous person comments online, without authority and credibility, then you just take it, if u think if it makes sense, otherwise, just throw it out to the rubbish bin like we do for junk mail.

I think the issue is SINCERITY. some are sincere about making the other person be a better photographer, but there are some that just want to insult and demoralise. Some are envious of other's ability.
    Ditto.

While there is much refinement and art in producing a good photo, there is just as much finesse and art in critique

ryan

actually, as he said, it all depends on the genre BUT unfortunately for wedding photography, I think mass appeal is pretty impt right?? so he is shooting himself in the foot....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast