Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you store your photos?

Default Re: How do you store your photos?

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    The power cables in Singapore leading to your home are buried, the chance of damage as a result of current or voltage surge from a lighting strike is very, very minimal if not improbable.
    Do the lightnings know about this?
    If it's not the lightning directly then still there are side effects in the power grid, enough to destroy unsecured electronic equipment.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticFox View Post
    A copy in the following
    1. DVD. Generally, I would burn a DVD every two months or when I reach 4.7 GB.
    2. A copy on the hardisk, needs no explaination
    3. A copy in my external hard disk, a single stand alone one
    That's how i do it too. I like d idea of burning to DVD even tho it's a bit more tedious cos its a different format and lightning strikes and power surges dont affect it (unless direct hit lah )
    5Dmk2 600D Sig35f1.4 Sig50f1.4 85f1.8 SY14f2.8 18200 Tam1750f2.8 580EX2 Oly EP3 14-42X 40-150 20f1.7

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Do the lightnings know about this?

If it's not the lightning directly then still there are side effects in the power grid, enough to destroy unsecured electronic equipment.
    Well, lets see... First of all, the lighting bolt has got to be a sentient being and instead of taking the shortest path to the ground with the least resistance via those tempting looking copper or metallic rods in highly urbanised Singapore as per the law of physics, it somehow decided to strike directly on top of some random underground High Voltage (HV) power cable for some reason. Oh, and this particular lighting bolt has to be one hell of a beast to be able to penetrate meters down the earth and through the High Voltage (HV) power cable surrounded by multiple layers of electrically insulative material and ultimately conduct with the core of copper cables within.

Not saying that it is impossible just highly improbable, you will have better chance of striking the lottery instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    I wouldn't worry about that, the electrical power supply in Singapore is relatively stable even more so after Singapore Power (SP) decided to raise the electricity tariff once again but what or who is to stop you from adopting protective measures to avoid possible damages to your electrical and electronic equipments though a Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) is far more effective than a surge protector in that aspect.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 1st July 2010 at 08:59 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Products-RAID SYSTEM / SATA HDD ENCLOSURE

anyone using the above?
    any comments?

Quote Originally Posted by soeypixels View Post
    Products-RAID SYSTEM / SATA HDD ENCLOSURE

anyone using the above?
    any comments?
    Cheaper to just put a RAID array inside my PC. :P
    Alpha

i already max out every slot in my tower , some alr hanging in mids - manual raid
    plus 1TB external too

just found out this Pegasus RAID Storage with Thunderbolt
    slurp!
    Last edited by soeypixels; 3rd November 2011 at 01:30 AM.

i already max out every slot in my tower , some alr hanging in mids - manual raid
    plus 1TB external too

just found out this Pegasus RAID Storage with Thunderbolt
    slurp!
    Using Synology's DS1511+ and 3x2TB WD Green HD at the moment. Giving me 3.75TB worth of space. It can add 2 extension unit DX510 for up to 15 bays. You can do the math. I don't recommend such configuration though. 2 single point of failures for the esata cable. 1x APC UPS to provide electrical surge protection and proper shutdown should power failure persist.

I highly doubt you will max it out that soon for this configuration
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images

.......Not saying that it is impossible just highly improbable, you will have better chance of striking the lottery instead.

I wouldn't worry about that, the electrical power supply in Singapore is relatively stable .....
    The quality and stability part is definitely true for our power system. But surges can occur if there is a system trip somewhere in the island.

On lightning risks, it's quite real for those living on landed properties. For apartment dwellers, much lower but not zero. A lighting strike on the building can induce a spike in your power system to cause damage.

I live in a hdb apt, I suppose being in the top floor made it worse. I had 2 modems that died after a hit on or near my building. About another 3 occasions of the elcb tripping.

The risk is low but real. Also not to forget that together with the laws of physics, Murphy's Law tends to take precedence. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post
    Using Synology's DS1511+ and 3x2TB WD Green HD at the moment. Giving me 3.75TB worth of space. It can add 2 extension unit DX510 for up to 15 bays. You can do the math. I don't recommend such configuration though. 2 single point of failures for the esata cable. 1x APC UPS to provide electrical surge protection and proper shutdown should power failure persist.

I highly doubt you will max it out that soon for this configuration
    what raid is that?

i guess i will be doing raid 10

i just use a external HDD.. i dont save all my photos. mostly only travel photos ill save..the rest probably just upload to share then delete.
    hmm.. i dont have any problem with regards to not enough spaces to store.

what raid is that?

i guess i will be doing raid 10
    Raid 10(1+0) as claimed by a lot of articles seems to be a better option for faster write and moderately fast read, but on a dedicated H/W RAID Highpoint card that is equipped with dedicated XOR operation, it seems that RAID5 gives better performance than RAID10.

Between RAID 5 and RAID 10, it must be tested to know which is better for your configuration. Not sure on the Synology, because my aim for the NAS is reliability versus speed. In fact, it will be turning to RAID 6 in the near future.

RAID 10 is not redundancy of 2 for all failure scenarios while RAID 6 is. The only advantage is RAID 10 is easier to rebuild for degraded scenarios, but being faster is not definite case. WHen compared to RAID 5, you have to take into account the cache memory (with or without battery backup) and also if the H/W has dedicated XOR engine.

Quote Originally Posted by qystan View Post
    The quality and stability part is definitely true for our power system. But surges can occur if there is a system trip somewhere in the island.

On lightning risks, it's quite real for those living on landed properties. For apartment dwellers, much lower but not zero. A lighting strike on the building can induce a spike in your power system to cause damage.

I live in a hdb apt, I suppose being in the top floor made it worse. I had 2 modems that died after a hit on or near my building. About another 3 occasions of the elcb tripping.

The risk is low but real. Also not to forget that together with the laws of physics, Murphy's Law tends to take precedence. ;-)
    Indeed that's very true. Having system shutdown abruptly is bad for data integrity too.

Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    i just use a external HDD.. i dont save all my photos. mostly only travel photos ill save..the rest probably just upload to share then delete.
    hmm.. i dont have any problem with regards to not enough spaces to store.
    When you use an external HD, do you still keep the same set of photos on your computer ? If it's just 1 copy, then you are in a risky situation just waiting for D-day to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by electron View Post
    That's how i do it too. I like d idea of burning to DVD even tho it's a bit more tedious cos its a different format and lightning strikes and power surges dont affect it (unless direct hit lah )
    You will feel the pain when you need to retrieve it. You will feel the pain when you are storing a lot of RAWs in it and you need to keep on splitting into different discs. You will feel the pain when the DVD just couldn't be read because besides lightning, there are other destructive agent such as air and humidity. When you have sufficient DVDs, you will feel the pain when you need to search for it. But if you don't search for it after 10 years, probably it shouldn't be there after all But you wouldn't bother to check it if they are still useful, because you will painful to even go through the large number of DVD when each of them takes ages to load.

When you use an external HD, do you still keep the same set of photos on your computer ? If it's just 1 copy, then you are in a risky situation just waiting for D-day to arrive.
    yea..am aware of that..so far so good. Even if the HDD decide to fail on me.. then so be it. I just enjoy the moments and taking of the pictures at the point of time to usually a few years. After that i seldom flip through the pictures anyway.. So its ok. New pictures and moment just keeps coming and usually "replaces" the old 1. Most will be uploaded into stuff like FB or what..so i can still view them anyway (unless it also decided to shut down). Then finally..if i really love it so much ill print them out into photo albums. Thanks for the warning and concerns.

anyone here using a Thunderbolt I/O HDD yet? The Thunderbolt port on my mac is desperately waiting to be fed some 10Gbit/s but I havent seen any decently sized HDDs for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SAMUELS View Post
    anyone here using a Thunderbolt I/O HDD yet? The Thunderbolt port on my mac is desperately waiting to be fed some 10Gbit/s but I havent seen any decently sized HDDs for it.
    It will be quite unlikely a single HDD even if SSD can flood a 10Gb/s interface. Even for one of the fastest 550MB/s read OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, you will need 2 of them suppose the 10Gb/s interface should it be ~85% efficient. For write, you will expect a lot more SSD required to flood the channel.
    For normal spindle hard drives, you will need quite a large number of them to make good use.

In fact, I hardly feel even the recently SATA 3G is saturated except for when hard disk cache is used. But I tend to believe hard disk cache efficiency is diminished with file cache that are already found in kernels of operating systems. They are larger and nearer to the kernel for re-use versus hard disk cache.

Bit off topic.

Was at Sim Lim, looking to up my NAS to 2x2TB or 2x3, hd prices doubled...damn!

Reason given was shortages due to the Thai floods. Think it's more opportunistic pricing.

Estimate given was about 6 months to be back to normal.

It will be quite unlikely a single HDD even if SSD can flood a 10Gb/s interface. Even for one of the fastest 550MB/s read OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, you will need 2 of them suppose the 10Gb/s interface should it be ~85% efficient. For write, you will expect a lot more SSD required to flood the channel.
    For normal spindle hard drives, you will need quite a large number of them to make good use.

In fact, I hardly feel even the recently SATA 3G is saturated except for when hard disk cache is used. But I tend to believe hard disk cache efficiency is diminished with file cache that are already found in kernels of operating systems. They are larger and nearer to the kernel for re-use versus hard disk cache.
    Exactly... I have observed that the majority, if not all, thunderbolt storage devices have to be RAID-ed to enjoy the 10Gbps privellege.
    Not so much of trying to hit 10Gbps throughput, but anything above USB2.0 will be great, because Macs don't have 3.0...

Store in the Cloud where a company offers on-line storage for a time-based fee. So that if the company goes bankrupt suddenly, all your photos are gone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast