Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 1st cam

Default Re: My 1st cam

Quote Originally Posted by Ashlee koh View Post
    Hi to all,

I am a newbie without a DSLR, intending to get one soon to start but am gathering info and seek advice before i throw my cash in to this hobby! Which cam would you guys recommend?
    if u got $10,000 to spend, U can buy a Nikon D3s paired with a good lens.

If you're on a tight bugdet, a Sony A230 with kit lens cost around $549 street price (maybe even lesser than that).
    Last edited by torak; 30th June 2010 at 12:17 AM.

How about, do you need a dSLR? Will an advanced compact or one of those superzoom models be a better choice? There are pros and cons, for sure, for both categories. And that is where your intentions in photography will come in. Why did you set your heart on a dSLR in the first place?
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

Big thank you to all your advices! portraits and scenery are the kind of shots that I want to learn and master. As a start, I would prefer to get a second hand cam as what some bro hav suggested. I am setting aside not more than 2k at the moment. Thanks again to dingaroo and wizz747 , you are right, I should have provide you guys with more info so that you can help me.

Big thank you to all your advices! portraits and scenery are the kind of shots that I want to learn and master. As a start, I would prefer to get a second hand cam as what some bro hav suggested. I am setting aside not more than 2k at the moment. Thanks again to dingaroo and wizz747 , you are right, I should have provide you guys with more info so that you can help me.
    2k include lens hmmmm....

which u prefer nikon or most popular canon...

thats where ergonomics step in... u muz touch n feel to make ur decision..

May I suggest getting prime lenses for your photography interests since they are quite stationary subjects. Resale ones of course.

In few words. If you're very new with dSLR.

I would not recommend buying a used one first. Unless you have a buddy who knows what to check for on the used item.
    You gonna know the stuff first before buying it. My honest advice is to get a new one, save yourself the trouble. Easy way out to save money.

My same recommendation is to go to a retail shop and feel the cameras where you could afford.

What do you mean by prime lenses Hori?

I almost got a cannon 550 but somehow, I just want to be sure thats y back up, the new pcs cost ard 1.5k with normal 15 -55mm lense. Is it worth?

I almost got a cannon 550 but somehow, I just want to be sure thats y back up, the new pcs cost ard 1.5k with normal 15 -55mm lense. Is it worth?
    the price guide is here for a good reason. Do check them out. It should be below 1.3k for 550D with 18-55mm kit.

My friend just bought a 550D with 18-55mm and 55-250mm for $1640 at Funan. You should send emails to shops asking them for a quote first before going down to buy

Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    Question is ... HOW MUCH CASH YOU WANT TO THROW?

We can recommend you a $1500, $7000, $15,000 or even a $25,000 camera!!! Take your pick!

Just like buying underwear, have to let us know your preference, g-string, bikini cut, etc. What kind of shooting would you be intending to do? Wildlife? XMMs? Landscape? Night performances?

Sadly, we don't have a magic crystal ball to predict what you have in your mind.

Cheers!
    i love this

Prime lenses are lenses with fixed focal length. For e.g. 50mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.8, etc.

They usually are lighter in weight and have bigger maximum aperture (1.8 vs 2.8 or 4) compared to zoom lenses. Their image quality is quite good too. The cheapest prime lens is the 50mm F/1.8.

The downside is of course the lack of zooming. I recommended them because your photography interests lay towards the more static subjects. Even though, there are some photographers who use prime lenses for the faster-paced actual day weddings.

--
    If you meant 550D and a 15-85mm combo, I think the price is alright. There are good reviews for the 15-85 lens, such as this
    Last edited by hori; 30th June 2010 at 01:01 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12