Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 12172021222324273247 ... LastLast

Thread: LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB! (46!!) Beginning of a brand new era!!

Default Re: LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB! (46!!) Beginning of a brand new era!!

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    Liverpool FC need a new lucky number seven
    July 17. Liverpool Echo

IN the grand scheme of things, the news which filtered through about Milan Jovanovic earlier this week did not grab headlines or trigger huge debate.

Nor should it. After all, Liverpool simply announced their new Serbian striker had been assigned the number 10 jersey ahead of the forthcoming Premier League campaign and, with so many other topics dominating the agenda, this was just an aside.

But pause for a moment and think again; Jovanovic has actually taken charge of one the Reds’ most iconic numbers, the shirt that men such as Barnes and Molby, McDermott and Toshack made famous.

Wearing number 10 traditionally means you have a licence to thrill or the chance to excite – cast your mind back to the exploits of another distinguished possessor of said shirt, Luis Garcia.

Though he may have infuriated some, he was always likely to conjure up something out of nothing – he was, as the song so famously declared, “five feet seven of football heaven”.

Clearly, then, Jovanovic has much to live up to but, even at this early stage, it is fair to say he will be more of a success than its previous derided incumbent, Andriy Voronin.

Hearing the news that number 10 has been assigned, however, brought a similar theme sharply back into focus and increased a sense of bewilderment.

Consider this: the most famous shirt in Liverpool’s rich history remains in mothballs, awaiting someone to bring it back to life.

Roy Hodgson might have a lengthy task list to work his way through at the moment but somewhere on his sheet of things to do must be unearthing a little box of tricks.

Think about it. Generations of Liverpool supporters were brought up on the exploits of Ian Callaghan, Kevin Keegan, Kenny Dalglish and Peter Beardsley, men who remain giants in the club’s history; they were inspirations and played the game in the manner it should be.

Yet since Beardsley crossed Stanley Park in 1991, there has only been one player – Steve McManaman – who upheld the tradition; look at some of the others who have been bestowed the ultimate honour and all you will see is a trail of disappointment.

Dean Saunders never had that something special. Nigel Clough started brightly but faltered badly; Vladimir Smicer’s best moment came when he switched to number 11; Harry Kewell could have been a great but flattered to deceive, while Robbie Keane’s four month stint can best be described as an unsuccessful experiment.

When I came to Liverpool, Kenny gave me his number seven shirt,” Beardsley recalled recently. “What bigger compliment is there than that?

“When you wore it back then, you were a god. The number seven shirt is something special.”

It still is – it just needs someone to come along and restore it to former glories; Beardsley’s choice for the perfect candidate was Steven Gerrard but the skipper’s preference has long been for number eight; that, remember, was his one request when rebuffing Chelsea’s advances and committing to Liverpool in 2004.

Moving Fernando Torres from number nine, meanwhile, is an absolute no-go, as if ever a player was tailor-made to follow in the steps of those great predators Hunt, Rush and Fowler then it is the new World Cup winner; provided he remains at Anfield, he will continue to play as a Liverpool number nine is expected.

If he had a proper number seven behind him, with Gerrard providing the ammunition to both, the future on the field might not be as bleak as many are predicting it will be.

One of the things that supporters wants to see this season is Liverpool play with verve and panache and bring Anfield to life again; think of all those games you sat through during the past 12 months that were devoid of life, soul and creativity.

“Our task is to keep hold of the very good players that we have here and complement them with some other very good ones, who will help us achieve our goals,” Hodgson said shortly after settling into the hot seat.

“We are not going to achieve our goals on organisation alone – we are going to do that by having very good players. I have got to keep the quality of players that it should be at Liverpool Football Club.

“We have to keep the traditions of a good work ethic, players sweating blood for the shirt and never letting the fans down.”

Those characteristics were synonymous with men who gave the number seven shirt its mystique; Callaghan, Keegan, Dalglish, Beardsley and McManaman all wore that jersey with pride – wouldn’t it be nice to think someone to follow their lead might be just around the corner?

joe cole????

curry sauce!!

Roy Hodgson has confirmed he has spoken to Joe Cole but played down talk he is on the verge of joining Liverpool.

Cole is available on a free transfer after leaving Chelsea and has been most strongly linked with Tottenham and Arsenal, but the odds have now shortened on a move to Anfield.

Asked about the situation, Hodgson told Sky Sports News: "I'm not a betting man, so that doesn't actually play a big part for me.

"As far as I know, Joe Cole is still a player looking for a club. I know we've been connected with him and that's good to know - that we've been connected with players of that quality.

"I had a very brief chat with him a little while back but, if you want to know about transfer targets, you'll have to ask [Liverpool managing director] Christian Purslow."
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Viola agree Insua fee

via Soccernet

"Fiorentina have agreed a fee with Liverpool over defender Emiliano Insua.

Insua, 21, played regularly at left back under Rafael Benitez last season, but it appears new manager Roy Hodgson is happy to allow the player to move on as he reshapes his squad.

Insua is now travelling to Italy to discuss personal terms.

A Liverpool spokesman said: "We have agreed a fee for the sale of Emiliano Insua to Fiorentina and given them permission to speak with the player. Emiliano has now left our Swiss training camp and we'll make further comment when appropriate."

The move would leave Hodgson short of options at left back, with Fabio Aurelio also having departed this summer following the expiry of his contract."

kns! now who will play there?

Quote Originally Posted by shunzi View Post
    Viola agree Insua fee

via Soccernet

"Fiorentina have agreed a fee with Liverpool over defender Emiliano Insua.

Insua, 21, played regularly at left back under Rafael Benitez last season, but it appears new manager Roy Hodgson is happy to allow the player to move on as he reshapes his squad.

Insua is now travelling to Italy to discuss personal terms.

A Liverpool spokesman said: "We have agreed a fee for the sale of Emiliano Insua to Fiorentina and given them permission to speak with the player. Emiliano has now left our Swiss training camp and we'll make further comment when appropriate."

The move would leave Hodgson short of options at left back, with Fabio Aurelio also having departed this summer following the expiry of his contract."

kns! now who will play there?
    i think Carra will cover LB till we sign someone..

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by roDz View Post
    i think Carra will cover LB till we sign someone..
    my guess is degen or Agger will take over left back..

Quote Originally Posted by domdomino View Post
    eh, hasnt rafa oreadi left the bldg?
    he loves to do this sorta things..
    or is he back in the guise of bro rodz?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    joe cole????

curry sauce!!

Roy Hodgson has confirmed he has spoken to Joe Cole but played down talk he is on the verge of joining Liverpool.

Cole is available on a free transfer after leaving Chelsea and has been most strongly linked with Tottenham and Arsenal, but the odds have now shortened on a move to Anfield.

Asked about the situation, Hodgson told Sky Sports News: "I'm not a betting man, so that doesn't actually play a big part for me.

"As far as I know, Joe Cole is still a player looking for a club. I know we've been connected with him and that's good to know - that we've been connected with players of that quality.

"I had a very brief chat with him a little while back but, if you want to know about transfer targets, you'll have to ask [Liverpool managing director] Christian Purslow."

Joe cole is england's worst player according to Capello index leh!!!!
    (ok, Green is the worst, but cole is the 2nd from behind)

Quote Originally Posted by kuanwk View Post

hmmm, rafa may move dirty kite to play in that role

Carra has played LB before during his younger days... Agger played they also last season so its another possibility...or rumour has it that RH is bringing in paul konchesky...

Quote Originally Posted by roDz View Post
    Carra has played LB before during his younger days... Agger played they also last season so its another possibility...or rumour has it that RH is bringing in paul konchesky...

Konchesky should be a decent signing, just that he is not young anymore, but what the hell, Insua confirmed leaving, we need to have a new left back!!!

just sign anyone who will play and run till drop dead wearing the shirt!!!
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

we've jus signed our newest no.7!!!

COLE TO EARN BIG AT LIVERPOOL

Betting was suspended on Joe Cole joining Liverpool on Saturday afternoon and the bookies are often a better indication of what's going on than the tabloids.

In this instance, the bookies and the tabloids concur with the News of the World claiming that Cole could be about to sign a £90,000-a-week deal with the Reds.

It would be a hell of a coup for Roy Hodgson, who did a good job of appearing bemused at the rumours on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    just sign anyone who will play and run till drop dead wearing the shirt!!!
    cc meets the criteria!
    but better standby replacement quickly..
    dunno how short the duration fr run -> drop mite be..

cc meets the criteria!
    but better standby replacement quickly..
    dunno how short the duration fr run -> drop mite be..
    with my tummy i will roll along the pitch and mow them all down so that our LFC players can shoot into an empty net!

Betting was suspended on Joe Cole joining Liverpool on Saturday afternoon and the bookies are often a better indication of what's going on than the tabloids.

In this instance, the bookies and the tabloids concur with the News of the World claiming that Cole could be about to sign a £90,000-a-week deal with the Reds.

It would be a hell of a coup for Roy Hodgson, who did a good job of appearing bemused at the rumours on Saturday.

congrats.....joe cole is a good buy.

Deregistered

i hope we wont see something like harry get-well or even lobbie keen.

Just wonder, Joe is coming for money or really want to play for us? But interesting to see a Joe + Stevie behind Torres formation. What a rocket of fire power!

with my tummy i will roll along the pitch and mow them all down so that our LFC players can shoot into an empty net!
    cc:
    managerial candidate,
    player who met the criteria,
    and now, groundsman's uh..assistant too!?

cc:
    managerial candidate,
    player who met the criteria,
    and now, groundsman's uh..assistant too!?
    no choice... the club severely in need of funding... so i triple up

TRANSFER NEWS
    Remy set for Nice talks

By Soccernet staff

July 18, 2010

Nice president Gilbert Stellardo will hold talks with striker Loic Remy on Monday as they await an offer from Liverpool.

Liverpool, Tottenham and West Ham - along with a number of Ligue 1 sides - are all understood to be tracking Remy, 23, but there has yet to be an agreement with Nice.

West Ham are unwilling to pay the transfer fee in a single payment as Nice require and, while Liverpool are said to have agreed a five-year deal with the player, they are yet to make an offer.

"For the moment we're stuck with the status quo, but if (Liverpool make an offer) things will be done swiftly," Stellardo told L'Equipe.

"The amount (offered by West Ham) suits me but not the payment method. West Ham want to buy Loic because they think he could rapidly be worth €10 million more if he plays in England. They don't want to pay us the full sum all at once."

Stellardo also revealed Nice are eager to bring Middlesbrough midfielder Didier Digard back to the club. Digard spent time on loan at Nice earlier this year with an option to sign him permanently for €5 million euros, and the clubs are now negotiating a new agreement for next season.

"We've talked to Middlesbrough about a new loan but with an option to purchase at a cheaper price," he said.

Exclusive: Reds sign Joe Cole

Liverpool FC are delighted to confirm the signing of Joe Cole on a four-year deal.

The England midfielder has agreed personal terms with the Reds and will undergo a medical in the next 48 hours.

Cole becomes the club's second signing of the summer after Milan Jovanovic.

The 28-year-old arrives from Chelsea, where he won three league titles and two FA Cups during a seven-year spell.

He is a product of the West Ham youth system and has represented his country 56 times, scoring 10 goals in the process.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/lates...-sign-joe-cole