Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would be a good camera recommendation?

Default Re: What would be a good camera recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    panasonic lx3
    alamak, ts already bought a camera liao lar.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Not worth to buy Panasonic LX3 now given its high price and its new series LX4 may come out anytime, although some say it will never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    Not worth to buy Panasonic LX3 now given its high price and its new series LX4 may come out anytime, although some say it will never happen.
    I was initially very tempted to get this LX3 camera. But I got my 2nd hand Olympus e450, because it cost the same as the LX3.. hmmmm... and I also got 2 kit lenses. I reckon I can get a macro lense later, and probably be able to finally achieve my goal of taking pictures of my little shrimps.

Blog Entries

shooting pet shrimps in a fish tank ? I dont think ANY compact (even the EX1, LX3 or G11 etc etc ) will cut it (unless subject is smack agains the wall of your tank)

may I suggest to go for an older generation DSLR and a Tamron 100 macro lens + tripod ..... u get more reach into the farther recesses of even a large 5' x 2' tank than any compact can provide you
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    shooting pet shrimps in a fish tank ? I dont think ANY compact (even the EX1, LX3 or G11 etc etc ) will cut it (unless subject is smack agains the wall of your tank)

may I suggest to go for an older generation DSLR and a Tamron 100 macro lens + tripod ..... u get more reach into the farther recesses of even a large 5' x 2' tank than any compact can provide you
    I did get a DSLR, an Olympus e-450.
    I realised after using the camera for awhile that my subject matters, the nocturnal tiny shrimps, are really difficult subject matter for photography.

They are 1-2cm long
    They come out after 10pm at night.
    They dart into little holes for cover when they detect movement

Anybody have any experience with such subject matters? Currently, I still do not have a macro lense, so I take them with the kit lense, a 14-42mm f3.5-5.6
    I set the ISO 400, any more and it is rather grainy
    The shutter speed is very low to get more light.
    What else should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by trelch View Post
    The shutter speed is very low to get more light.
    What else should I do?
    Prefocus manually, tripod, remote shutter release, step back as much as possible to avoid being noticed by the shrimps. Patience.
    EOS

Switch off all the lights in the room and put kiwi on your face so the shrimps can't see you !

<<quickly running away for cover!>>

I assumed you would have the aquarium light on and your room light off. This way you shrimp will not see you.

Use a slightly longer macro as standing too near to the aquarium will see your own reflection. I don't think you can use too slow a shutter speed as the shrimps will move.

btw, what shrimps are you shooting....yamato?
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 3rd July 2010 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Prefocus manually, tripod, remote shutter release, step back as much as possible to avoid being noticed by the shrimps. Patience.
    Thanks! Very good advise. I currently do not have a remote control shutter yet. I think I will still try to be stealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfit View Post
    Switch off all the lights in the room and put kiwi on your face so the shrimps can't see you !
    <<quickly running away for cover!>>

Funny

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    I assumed you would have the aquarium light on and your room light off. This way you shrimp will not see you.

Use a slightly longer macro as standing too near to the aquarium will see your own reflection. I don't think you can use too slow a shutter speed as the shrimps will move.

btw, what shrimps are you shooting....yamato?
    I am shooting about 4 species of Sulawesi Shrimps. Don't have the macro lens yet. Will look at macro lens soon.

Another problem.. these shy shrimps don't come near the tank sides and glasses.. sigh..
    Last edited by trelch; 3rd July 2010 at 10:43 AM.

I think I will have to start a new thread about shooting these shrimps.

Quote Originally Posted by trelch View Post
    I currently do not have a remote control shutter yet. I think I will still try to be stealthy.
    If you are into DIY it takes less than $5 material, some soldering and some plastic works for a wired remote shutter release, plugged into the socket at the side of the camera. I have done it with an old PC mouse. Really fun. Otherwise, for a few bucks more you can get the IR wireless triggers in Mass Sales (if there are some working for your cam model). But: they might trigger the 2sec warning light at the front that's also used for 10sec timer. Could make your shrimps run off.
    There are also radio triggers in Mass Sales. Cost a bit more but really stealthy.
    EOS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12