Thread: Tripod - recent D90 promotional package

Default Tripod - recent D90 promotional package

Hi Seniors,

can kindly advice the recent tripod given for purchase of D90, a good enough for usage? I have been seeing those tripods selling in camera shops looks very sleek/firm. The one given by Nikon package looks bone shaky

what determines a good tripod? there are so many ranges and brands, and comes in different sizes too.

also, any additional items are needed if getting the tripod? as i saw a 'stem'(not sure the specific term) looking item which is used to attach onto the camera base and then to the tripod, is that a must for a start or the camera can be fixed directly without the use of the 'stem'?

Default Re: Tripod - recent D90 promotional package

actually, it depends on your height with the tripod height.
    then the weight the tripod can handle.
    for that D90 promotional package, that tripod is good enough for a beginner.
    Moments

Quote Originally Posted by kuwie View Post
    Hi Seniors,

can kindly advice the recent tripod given for purchase of D90, a good enough for usage? I have been seeing those tripods selling in camera shops looks very sleek/firm. The one given by Nikon package looks bone shaky

what determines a good tripod? there are so many ranges and brands, and comes in different sizes too.

also, any additional items are needed if getting the tripod? as i saw a 'stem'(not sure the specific term) looking item which is used to attach onto the camera base and then to the tripod, is that a must for a start or the camera can be fixed directly without the use of the 'stem'?
    You set a budget, then you go check out shops like CP and TK, where you can find a really decent range of tripods. Consider doing lots of research on mounting systems, like ballheads and panheads, be it geared or non-geared. There are lots of threads here, just do a search on tripods and you'll find pages of tripod discussions going on.

The 'stem' is a centre column, allows you to achieve greater height position beyond the 3 fully extended legs. However, there's a general consensus here to avoid this altogether, as it compromises on stability, which is what a tripod should guarantee you in the first place. They are definitely some models out there that do not have centre columns at all.

People wont even use their interchangeable lens hybrid models on the Nikon tripod, let alone mount a full dslr system. Speaks a lot about that freebie that people initially get excited over, no?
    Where does the ocean go...

Read this for information on tripods. Very useful for newbies, courtesy of the seniors.

Thanks for the above replies, very informative.

appreciate all!

Deregistered

Hi Seniors,

A good tripod?Gitzo

Attach to the camera base?QR plate issit?Or are you talking about the centre column?

Blog Entries

Hi Seniors,

Junk the free one. It is terrible.

Which tripod to get depends on your requirements and budget.

For starters, and for the more budget conscious, check out offerings from Sirui, Benro, Slik and the entry level Manfrotto.

Good place to start looking would be TK foto, CP and OP.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 27th June 2010 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Junk the free one. It is terrible.

Which tripod to get depends on your requirements and budget.

For starters, and for the more budget conscious, check out offerings from Sirui, Benro, Slik and the entry level Manfrotto.

Good place to start looking would be TK foto, CP and OP.
    agree~ it can't support a d90 Horizontal

Its nt worth placing ur thousands of equipment on a crappy tripod..
    Get a trusty one from one of those reputable shops here.. i.e. Tk Foto or Cathay Photo
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

I agree with numnum dd and cleon, why risk, I am sure the tripod isn't "free" at all, the "package" price already inclusive of the tripod. Nothing is free man... Manfrotto benro has beginner price alu tripod at about 200+ which is useable but like what the senior has mention the weight limit and height is the key. Do refer to Denniskee tripod thread for more info
    D90-MB80|N18-105|N50 1.8|T180 M.|GT1541T|Q3T|Up48|SB900|
    BBB Virus will Devour your Soul.

I's just not worth the safety of your camera.

Some food for thought since you've already read the guide by Dennis Kee ...

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    I's just not worth the safety of your camera.

Some food for thought since you've already read the guide by Dennis Kee ...

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

All the best.
    Read this website couple of months back when I ask about tripod... Thanks it's very infomative even on the af-s non af thingy
    D90-MB80|N18-105|N50 1.8|T180 M.|GT1541T|Q3T|Up48|SB900|
    BBB Virus will Devour your Soul.

i agree. The tripod given by Nikon is darn big, bulky, and unstable. especially shots need to be taken like Portrait!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucrezia View Post
    i agree. The tripod given by Nikon is darn big, bulky, and unstable. especially shots need to be taken like Portrait!
    interesting. big, bulky and unstable in the same sentence. my impression of it is small, puny n useless, except for maybe a compact pns
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!