Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: d5000 or d90

Blog Entries

Default Re: d5000 or d90

TS, get the Pentax K-x. Best for your budget.

D90... without doubt!
    Nikon D700 | D90 [50mm f1.4G, 70-200mm VRII f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8]
    AF 660 Polaroid

Unhappy Re: d5000 or d90

The fold out LCD of D5000 is just Not-Right!!!!

D90 cost about $300 more, offers more manual functions
    For a newbie, I was comparing Cano550d, Nikon D90 and D5000.
    Took D5000 because it was cheapest, and picture quality almost same.

Maybe I am newbie, and I could not tell difference between the cameras.
    I just need a good camera to snapshot my active kids indoor and outdoor.

But DSLR is a big jump from P&S, and I suspect I could be happy with any DSLR.
    - outstanding shoots in dim situation (night markets, and indoors)
    - sharp object, and blur background
    - quick burst snapshots

Intend to explore this D5000 for 2 years first.
    Then decide which camera for next upgrade, and lens investment.

Have taken less than 1000 photos, and almost 90% in auto-mode,
    but already very happy with the results.
    Will need to learn more manual-techniques.

Have you tried to grip your shortlisted cameras already? (ie I need to feel comfortable)

Recommendations 1.
    **if cost is no issue, D90 should be better. The D90 has depreciated significantly (Compared to Canon500, or Nikon D5000, and it comes with 105mm lens)

Recommendations 2.
    Once finalised with research and quotations, avoid coming to clubsnap or other photography forums (until u purchase cam).
    Your heart will sway again keke

Quote Originally Posted by kimbug View Post
    The fold out LCD of D5000 is just Not-Right!!!!
    Totally Agree!!!
    Nikon D700 | D90 [50mm f1.4G, 70-200mm VRII f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8]
    AF 660 Polaroid

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremynkl View Post
    2. Go forward, be polite and ask them.
    Say the magic words "Hi. I want to learn DSLR photography, can you recommend some suitable DSLRs to me? Yeah, something like that. Please provide your budget.
    Then, the retail executive there should be kind enough to share with you the brands. Personally, I go with Nikon or Canon. Canon is more popular, Nikon sounds more professional.
    Please... in which dreamland are you? Sales men are there to make money and the majority will do exactly this by suggesting those models with highest profit margin - or simply ignore him because they suspect he has no money. Sales men are not product explain guys and they are not photography trainers - despite all other rumours and the occasional good experience. Any approach of revealing non-knowledge when buying cameras will most likely call for a disaster, regardless which shop. We have seen such stories too many times here. TS must know some very basics and at least the average street price.
    And recommendations like "Canon is more popular, Nikon sounds more professional" are simply ... not helpful at all (politely said). Product reviews have shown multiple times that other brands can well stand and shine next to Canon and Nikon.
    EOS

i was also deciding between d90, d5000 and canon 550d. Went for the d90 as i like the feel of it in my hand more than the other two. you gotta feel comfortable with YOUR equipment. its going to be a part of you. LOL.

Anyway, i believe this qn has popped up many times in the forum. Search the forum. Maybe you're new to DSLR, like me, but definitely I believe you have experience with the search functions.

Sorry if i sound rude.
    Nikon D90 | AF-S 18-105mm | AF 50mm f/1.8D | Tokina 12-24mm f4 | Sigma 30mm f1.4

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by penglee View Post
    D90 cost about $300 more, offers more manual functions
    For a newbie, I was comparing Cano550d, Nikon D90 and D5000.
    Took D5000 because it was cheapest, and picture quality almost same.

Maybe I am newbie, and I could not tell difference between the cameras.
    I just need a good camera to snapshot my active kids indoor and outdoor.
    You will be able to tell the difference when you go shopping for you next lens or two.
    Just take a look at the pricing difference AF-D 50mm/1.8, AF-S 50/1.4G and AF-D 50/1.4D. *hint* only one of these lenses can AF on your camera. But if you like MF, everything's cool with the D5k.

Picture quality wise, D5k, D90 and D300s are all similar.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    You will be able to tell the difference when you go shopping for you next lens or two.
    Just take a look at the pricing difference AF-D 50mm/1.8, AF-S 50/1.4G and AF-D 50/1.4D. *hint* only one of these lenses can AF on your camera. But if you like MF, everything's cool with the D5k.

bro don't so evil la

he did say he was an upgrader from PnS and already blown away by the difference in quality, even in auto mode.
    Hard as it is for myself to believe, the vast majority of DSLR users are pretty happy with their camera and kit lens combo.
    I guess Nikon marketed their cameras succesfully, to sell so many of their entry-level models to newbies.
    Exploring! :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    bro don't so evil la

he did say he was an upgrader from PnS and already blown away by the difference in quality, even in auto mode.
    Hard as it is for myself to believe, the vast majority of DSLR users are pretty happy with their camera and kit lens combo.
    I guess Nikon marketed their cameras succesfully, to sell so many of their entry-level models to newbies.
    LOL. I've been poisoned quite a bit recently, so I unconsciously started poisoning others....

LOL. I've been poisoned quite a bit recently, so I unconsciously started poisoning others....
    That's rather an infection than poisoning
    EOS

this issue will pop up later ..when I need to reach your level of photography (in your blog)

Blog Entries

this issue will pop up later ..when I need to reach your level of photography (in your blog)
    My level? My level very low one leh. BTW.. Thanks for visiting my blog .

buying new lenses has little to do with 'levels' or ability... more so to do with affordability.
    There are newbie photographers going around with over $20K of gear...

so it's not about whether you reach DD123's ability, but rather when you reach the point where you're willing to spend some money on new glass
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Please... in which dreamland are you? Sales men are there to make money and the majority will do exactly this by suggesting those models with highest profit margin - or simply ignore him because they suspect he has no money. Sales men are not product explain guys and they are not photography trainers - despite all other rumours and the occasional good experience. Any approach of revealing non-knowledge when buying cameras will most likely call for a disaster, regardless which shop. We have seen such stories too many times here. TS must know some very basics and at least the average street price.
    And recommendations like "Canon is more popular, Nikon sounds more professional" are simply ... not helpful at all (politely said). Product reviews have shown multiple times that other brands can well stand and shine next to Canon and Nikon.

Greetings. You sounded quite rude, as expected.
    Hahas. Ever heard of the saying, " Think thrice before speaking?"
    I mentioned research is important as it will give you some basic knowledge about the DSLRS the person has set in mind.
    So, he can go there and try out the DSLRs to feel and touch the actual thing.
    Let's put into good words that the person should ask for the models in his mind and touch it to feel the difference and of course talk to a real person who knows something about the DSLR. I know, professional trainers are more wiser. They are more knowledgeable but do you understand what is service
    Tell me, if a sales person talks to you coldly and the price of the thing you want to buy is sky-high, would you even consider about it?

Topic is D5000 or D90, TS got trouble with deciding, esp with posts by ppl who recommended D3X. LOL. (over budget liao wor.)

I am comparing canon with nikon. I Know, other brands are good but if the TS likes nikon that much, you can't force him to go with other brands?

PS: I know, I am a newbie but can't you just help the fellow here who is asking which modelis better? Instead of pinpointing what people has said?
    Last edited by Jeremynkl; 28th June 2010 at 11:18 PM.

Tell me, if a sales person talks to you coldly and the price of the thing you want to buy is sky-high, would you even consider about it?

Trust me, if u are going to buy a camera that is 10k and over, the sales person will not talk to u coldly.

I am a newbie as well. Just for example, I have tried various shops/same products, saying i want to buy 550D, and also 7D. There will be a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    buying new lenses has little to do with 'levels' or ability... more so to do with affordability.
    There are newbie photographers going around with over $20K of gear...

so it's not about whether you reach DD123's ability, but rather when you reach the point where you're willing to spend some money on new glass
    thks Zero, still busy experimenting.
    But I would definitely not mind second item lens

New glass is very $$ haha

Greetings. You sounded quite rude, as expected.
    Hahas. Ever heard of the saying, " Think thrice before speaking?"
    You need to follow your own advice. What he said was not rude, but 100% accurate.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    You need to follow your own advice. What he said was not rude, but 100% accurate.
    True. Saying hi I'm new and I want to learn is like saying hi I'm a carrot, come chop me. Sales people are out to make profit/commission and not care if u new or old bird. Though occasionally u may meet some nice ones but if the shop gets busy or someone else is gonna buy something that yields them better profit/commission, they will tell u to wait and go serve the other person. If ur lucky, they come back to u. If ur not, u just end up waiting endlessly while they serve the other ppl.

Happy or no, that's the truth and u have to face it. Always do ur homework and show some knowledge when talking to the sales person. At least they know u know something and won't try to smoke u out.

get the d90.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast