Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 36789 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 177

Thread: Pentaxians June 2010 Outing - Please Post Your Photos :)

  1. #141
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,043

    Default Re: Pentaxians June 2010 Outing - Please Post Your Photos :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
    First of all, apologies to all if I seemed distant that day. I tend to treat jobs seriously, be it a simple lens test/ tfcd/ photoshoot. I would also like to thank JK for supplying a model and allowing me to try out my lighting techniques, and assisting me in the process.

    Since my DIY softbox didn't work out as planned, we mucked around with bare flashes and a shoot-through umbrella. Was also conflicted about the look I wanted (contrasty/soft/high key/etc) Here are the shortlisted pics. Shot with few hours old M35/2.8


    Farhan, i think this photo (minus the 1 logo) has a lot of potential be it post processing or strobing. Maybe its just my way of looking things, I just found out perhaps using those honeycomb/gridspot mounted to flash might accentuate her shadow. And this lovely model just need a little more coaching on her pose? hehe. With a sultry pose like bending her waist, one leg open up and erm open her mouth and convert it to black and white, might impact alot on viewers' attention.
    I'm no pro lah and i don't understand what high key and low key means yet, haha. Just my 2cents bro.

    You think this one looks better with a flash placed on the floor lighting up the backdrop?
    Charlie Tan loves his SMC 大姑妈
    deviantART | flickr

  2. #142

    Default Re: Pentaxians June 2010 Outing - Please Post Your Photos :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
    I do understand the concept and have ideas floating in my head. But they usually don't go according to plan. I'm still in the process of finding out the limitations of my flash and modifiers so results will vary. I'm interested in HSS since I want to achieve shallow DOF or isolate the subject from a messy background. (I could go for a few AF540s, but I'm a budget shooter)

    Photographers have always been restricted by the sun's position/strength and overpowering the sun and creating our own light has always been a dream. (that's what studios are for) But learning about my equipment limitations and working around/with it has always been something that keeps my mind occupied (in a good way).

    So you don't mind if I borrow a few modifiers for some test runs? Still cracking my head on how to light for this weekend Cosfest...
    I don't think we ran out of strobing juice on the Metz48. For #3, even with the shoot thru it was not at 1/1. For #1,2 it was on 1/2 IIRC. I certainly ran out of brain juice though I was just so drained from trying to settle all the other stuff and not thinking through and being focused on getting the setup right.

    Nothing venture nothing gained.
    It was a fruitful attempt FFIW.

  3. #143
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Far East
    Posts
    1,466

    Default Re: Pentaxians June 2010 Outing - Please Post Your Photos :)

    Quote Originally Posted by eselite View Post
    Farhan, i think this photo (minus the 1 logo) has a lot of potential be it post processing or strobing. Maybe its just my way of looking things, I just found out perhaps using those honeycomb/gridspot mounted to flash might accentuate her shadow. And this lovely model just need a little more coaching on her pose? hehe. With a sultry pose like bending her waist, one leg open up and erm open her mouth and convert it to black and white, might impact alot on viewers' attention.
    I have a few without the logo too. Guess it's a distraction... Also, the model was starting out, so she only came with one pose. Frankly, I'm clueless at posing people. You can be the art director next time.

    I'd love to use more modifiers, but I haven't DIYed them yet. Plus, my softbox didn't work as I'd expected.

    Quote Originally Posted by eselite View Post
    You think this one looks better with a flash placed on the floor lighting up the backdrop?
    We did try some background lighting, but didn't expand on it after a couple of failures. A reflector would have helped too.

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    I don't think we ran out of strobing juice on the Metz48. For #3, even with the shoot thru it was not at 1/1. For #1,2 it was on 1/2 IIRC. I certainly ran out of brain juice though I was just so drained from trying to settle all the other stuff and not thinking through and being focused on getting the setup right.

    Nothing venture nothing gained.
    It was a fruitful attempt FFIW.
    It does make for an interesting challenge of thinking on the fly. But yeah, it goes to show we all have room to improve and need to exchange input with each other more often. That's what these outings are for, right?
    Last edited by Baracus; 29th June 2010 at 03:21 PM.
    Brand loyalty? Pffttt...| Got Flickr?
    I shoot JPEG (got a problem with that?)

  4. #144
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,043

    Default Re: Pentaxians June 2010 Outing - Please Post Your Photos :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Brianskivvy View Post
    Charlie, your stroking erm I mean strobbing techniques are really superb!

    Worthy for advert placement
    Thanks for the kind words Brian! I'm not there yet, it's my virgin stroke erm i mean strobe!

    Quote Originally Posted by teruranse View Post
    stroking? hmmm sounds familar leh
    Hey bro, where were u after lunch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brianskivvy View Post
    It's Cheeky Charlie's speciality
    Cheeky Charlie Chickadee!

    Quote Originally Posted by WhitePaper View Post
    wow! these shots are breathtaking ! my fav!
    Thanks! :hugs:

    Quote Originally Posted by pentriot View Post
    Nice catch Charlie.
    Hardly have the chance to see sky so blue.
    Yahlor, i only realised after a few shots that Leengirl mounted a CPL on her 18-55mm. I'm surprised it gives a pretty refreshing look.
    Charlie Tan loves his SMC 大姑妈
    deviantART | flickr

  5. #145
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,043

    Default Re: Pentaxians June 2010 Outing - Please Post Your Photos :)

    Last but not least, the poster boy of the month!(self proclaimed)
    Taken by Leengirl.
    Charlie Tan loves his SMC 大姑妈
    deviantART | flickr

  6. #146
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Still wondering where I belong
    Posts
    3,434

    Default Re: Pentaxians June 2010 Outing - Please Post Your Photos :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
    I do understand the concept and have ideas floating in my head. But they usually don't go according to plan. I'm still in the process of finding out the limitations of my flash and modifiers so results will vary. I'm interested in HSS since I want to achieve shallow DOF or isolate the subject from a messy background. (I could go for a few AF540s, but I'm a budget shooter)

    Photographers have always been restricted by the sun's position/strength and overpowering the sun and creating our own light has always been a dream. (that's what studios are for) But learning about my equipment limitations and working around/with it has always been something that keeps my mind occupied (in a good way).

    So you don't mind if I borrow a few modifiers for some test runs? Still cracking my head on how to light for this weekend Cosfest...
    i kinda expect this answer...

    its nothing to do with concepts and understanding the limitations of the equipment... like i say, maybe u have yet to understand what im saying.... but it ok... cos half the time im always joking anyway... if u know what im saying... there is no limitation on the equipment... its just knowing lighting theroy thats all...

    dun depend on hss... it will limit you even more...

    i have the flash genie set if u want to try... but the adapter might not fit ur flash head....but i can also borrow what is the most valuable peice of equipment, a light meter... if you know how to use it, it will be the most helpful in strobing...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

  7. #147

    Default Re: Pentaxians June 2010 Outing - Please Post Your Photos :)

    Quote Originally Posted by eselite View Post
    Thanks for the kind words Brian! I'm not there yet, it's my virgin stroke erm i mean strobe!
    Sooner you will be the StrobeKing who likes stroking

    Ok enough of my innuendos. Hahaha
    Body - K-x, KX, ME
    Lens - DAL18-55, DAL55-300, DA 35 Ltd, M 50 F1.7, A 50 F1.7, Sigma 10-20

  8. #148
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Far East
    Posts
    1,466

    Default Re: Pentaxians June 2010 Outing - Please Post Your Photos :)

    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpot View Post
    i kinda expect this answer...

    its nothing to do with concepts and understanding the limitations of the equipment... like i say, maybe u have yet to understand what im saying.... but it ok... cos half the time im always joking anyway... if u know what im saying... there is no limitation on the equipment... its just knowing lighting theroy thats all...

    dun depend on hss... it will limit you even more...

    i have the flash genie set if u want to try... but the adapter might not fit ur flash head....but i can also borrow what is the most valuable peice of equipment, a light meter... if you know how to use it, it will be the most helpful in strobing...
    Communicating ideas online sure is hard... but I get what you mean. (sort of)

    That bold part is exactly my downfall. I'm trying to run before I can walk. There are limitations to each equipment, or rather the appropriateness of using one in a certain condition. I can't expect a flash gun to overpower afternoon light like a 1200W strobe or provide instant feedback like a continuous light source. Learning the subject to background to flash distance with regards to light fall-off and all that jazz too is important. Which is why I need all the practice I can get.

    A lightmeter would greatly help in calculating lighting ratios, but apart from basic metering, I'm a bit lost with the more advanced versions. I was thinking along the lines of reflectors actually, to simulate a slight fill instead of another flash unit.
    Brand loyalty? Pffttt...| Got Flickr?
    I shoot JPEG (got a problem with that?)

  9. #149

    Default Re: Pentaxians June 2010 Outing - Please Post Your Photos :)

    Hey bro, where were u after lunch?

    sorry bro had to run off for another appointment after lunch...

  10. #150
    Member zoom3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,017

    Default Re: Pentaxians June 2010 Outing - Please Post Your Photos :)

    Great pics as usual from you guys. Congrats.

    I didn't think I can make it to this outing, hence did not put my name down. But did manage to. By the time I got there, majority of you have moved on. Stiffed from all the late nights watching soccer, I just took a few pics and then spend the rest of the hour TCSS with some "left behind" Pentaxians

    Here are some pics to proof I was there All pics with the DFA 100 WR.

    1.



    2. Unfortunately, too late for the butterfly farm. Thought I should at least post a butterfly pic. So here goes...



    3. See, I was really there.

  11. #151
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    "River end"
    Posts
    4,249

    Default Re: Pentaxians June 2010 Outing - Please Post Your Photos :)

    Quote Originally Posted by eselite View Post
    Thanks for the kind words Brian! I'm not there yet, it's my virgin stroke erm i mean strobe!
    No wonder bring your flash come and test me...

  12. #152
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Still wondering where I belong
    Posts
    3,434

    Default Re: Pentaxians June 2010 Outing - Please Post Your Photos :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
    Communicating ideas online sure is hard... but I get what you mean. (sort of)

    That bold part is exactly my downfall. I'm trying to run before I can walk. There are limitations to each equipment, or rather the appropriateness of using one in a certain condition. I can't expect a flash gun to overpower afternoon light like a 1200W strobe or provide instant feedback like a continuous light source. Learning the subject to background to flash distance with regards to light fall-off and all that jazz too is important. Which is why I need all the practice I can get.

    A lightmeter would greatly help in calculating lighting ratios, but apart from basic metering, I'm a bit lost with the more advanced versions. I was thinking along the lines of reflectors actually, to simulate a slight fill instead of another flash unit.
    its ok... if u think u get it... good luck then...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

  13. #153
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,043

    Default Re: Pentaxians June 2010 Outing - Please Post Your Photos :)

    Quote Originally Posted by istDeS View Post
    No wonder bring your flash come and test me...
    Des, really have to thank you for figuring out what went wrong, me and terance was fiddling it for the past 5min and still cannot figure what went wrong.
    Charlie Tan loves his SMC 大姑妈
    deviantART | flickr

  14. #154

    Default Re: Pentaxians June 2010 Outing - Please Post Your Photos :)

    Not much from me. Most of my shots were test shots which I will post in another thread once I get all the pictures from the testers. Need to sort them out as well.




    My thanks to Sarah for the help on the lens shootout.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 29th June 2010 at 11:01 PM.

  15. #155

    Default Re: Pentaxians June 2010 Outing - Please Post Your Photos :)

    Fengwei, once again thanks for organising a successful outing. Many good shots of the camera and butterfly too. Below are just several photos from me.

    #1 Ben with his shotgun ..





    #2 Our ever friendly nik34

  16. #156

    Default Re: Pentaxians June 2010 Outing - Please Post Your Photos :)

    #3 Leengirl and partner





    #4 Our ever popular Leengirl


  17. #157

    Default Re: Pentaxians June 2010 Outing - Please Post Your Photos :)

    #5 Bernard trying to get the LBA once more ?





    #6 pinholecam and Sarah


  18. #158

    Default Re: Pentaxians June 2010 Outing - Please Post Your Photos :)

    #7 Aiya how to get all these PENTAXIANS to gather up





    #8 Camera is ready but we were not




    Thanks for viewing

  19. #159
    Member seefei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    1,708

    Default Re: Pentaxians June 2010 Outing - Please Post Your Photos :)


    #4 Beauty & the Beast 2


    #5 Leopard Laceswing


    #6 Common Tree Nymph - was told by the HPark staff that this is a rare exotic species... but then why name it "common"?


    #7 Orange Emigrant

    The friendly HortPark staff had help in the ID of the above butterfly. It took them a few days to revert, hence this late posting. They also intro me to the butterfly circle which has a list of the butterfly commonly found in SG & M'sia. Indeed this has been a fruitful event...
    shoot to remember. flickr

  20. #160

    Default Re: Pentaxians June 2010 Outing - Please Post Your Photos :)

    wow you guys lot of potrait done..i'am not good on potrait, here are my shot..









    Thanks guys

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 36789 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •