View Poll Results: Ever gotten a RUDE comment in clubsnap?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

63 78.75%
  • No

17 21.25%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever gotten a RUDE comment in clubsnap?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Have you ever gotten a RUDE comment in clubsnap?

Lets not let these comments mask the fact that there are also extremely helpful and nice folks in CS as well

In any community there will be those that are outright abrasive by nature or just plain born-to-flame/bait and those that are too nice and even too helpful.......... and the majority who are in between these 2 ends

everyone is human.......... we go through varying degrees of Up/Down cycles..... you WILL catch some on their good days and you will catch others on their bad days

dont take it personally
    Last edited by ed9119; 27th June 2010 at 02:48 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

yes. But not many.
    I think having personal opinion and being plain rude are different thing. The only 1 i came across was sm1 commented 'yucks!' on the thread in which the TS posted portrait of his girlfriend. I think this is plain rude without any reason.
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

i've found the folks here are generally nice people in my opinion. i'd say the type of replies that i've got from my post(s) reflects most of them are mature and kind enough to give frank and positive comments on my pics.

'rude' is subjective. i've always look on the brighter side. shoot more,read more and ask more. we'll improve over time.that's my principle.
    Fun in photography is inFinity
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    example - i am really sorry but even my dog knows how to google.
    I guess the ability to hide behind a monitor really made a person less sociable. I really would like him to show me how his dog google. haha

But back to the truth, I am sure these "RUDE" people are only a minority ( they better be a minority else i am out of here.. ).

Yet i would like to thank all the kind members out there who had helped me or others in getting answers to our often simple questions.

I started this thread, hoping to voice my concerns, concern that a few irritating members are degrading such a good forum. Hoping to let the moderators, administrators know of the suffering that newbies like me are suffering in silent. I want the suffered to know he or she is not alone in this and do not leave and forsake such a good forum because of a few bad eggs, cause they are not majority. And also hope that those who did write such comments would realize the consequences, their lack of consideration is as bad if not worse than newbies asking "foolish" questions.

Because of your inconsideration, I had high blood pressure, insomnia, stress causing IBS thus wasting more money on toilet paper, eating more ice-cream to drown my inferiority thus making me over-weight and becoming a candidate for heart attack! You could have became a murderer with your bad comments! HAHA This paragraphy just joking lah..

Quote Originally Posted by nicZnap View Post
    and i thought calling you auntie was rude enough!!!
    how come all these "rude" ppl suddenly appear out of the woodwork??!!!

niccy....mux meet up for kopi sometime....

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    how come all these "rude" ppl suddenly appear out of the woodwork??!!!

niccy....mux meet up for kopi sometime....
    Zaren is the nicest auntie I met in CS.

Quote Originally Posted by jgjonathangoh View Post
    Care to share some of the rudest comment you have gotten?
    I dunno about you pple but I have seen the below 2 comments many times and though that they are unneccessary:

1) have you used the search function

2) if you have money buy this, if you have no money buy that...

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Zaren is the nicest auntie I met in CS.
    wah....nephew leong so sweet! mux buy u kopi too!!

How many of you have actually gotten a rude comment from other member(s) of clubsnap?
    Personally, I have seen some, esp to newbies who might ask fundamental questions on photography.

Have you gotten stung as well?

Care to share some of the rudest comment you have gotten?
    Hi jg

Not surprisingly, you are not the first, nor will you be the last to raise up this issue. Back in 2005, Wolfgang (mod) also had a thread somewhat related to this. You can read it here http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128909

I've also contributed a reply to that thread, but to quote the part which might be relevant to your question:

This elitism manifests itself in the form of impatient replies in forums ("such a simple thing, you don't even know"), arrogance about one's knowledge/skills ("your shots lack good composition, and I can't stand the halo around the object"), non-sharing of basic information ("oh, I can't tell you the location..you'll have to figure it out yourself) and to even arguments about which brand is better ("XX is better because it has everything you wanted, including a satellite dish!").

The only advice I can offer is to look out for those that are genuinely helpful and extremely open to sharing. These are the people who will make your stay in CS more pleasant and a true learning experience.

As for those whom you personally feel are rude or otherwise, don't fret over them. Afterall, the universe doesn't revolve around them..it's just a delusional fact.
    ebay SG: clippersg
    Chupr: clipper

I guess the ability to hide behind a monitor really made a person less sociable. I really would like him to show me how his dog google.
    my pet goldfish knows how to google.

anyways, for me, rude is when people make personal attacks, and overly abrasive comments for no reason.

for example, if the TS is shooting pictures of his gf and the gf is not so pretty, that's life, you shouldn't make silly comments like, "the model ugly", or "my 50 year old auntie looks better".

as for comments, give benefit of doubt first, then when the TS is obviously just hankering for sugar coated comments, sometimes can try to save him from that hellhole by being slightly sarcastic. of course, slightly sarcastic in clubsnap sometimes can introduce a whole world of pain when people get oversensitive and take it like you insulted their grandmother, grandfather, and pet goat.

[QUOTE=ClipperSG;6245677]Hi jg

This elitism manifests itself in the form of impatient replies in forums ("such a simple thing, you don't even know"), arrogance about one's knowledge/skills ("your shots lack good composition, and I can't stand the halo around the object"), non-sharing of basic information ("oh, I can't tell you the location..you'll have to figure it out yourself) and to even arguments about which brand is better ("XX is better because it has everything you wanted, including a satellite dish!").

I agree. Elitism is one of the main reasons. So sad..Singapore will end up with elites vs the man on the street...just like many other societies

This is a very good question! For
    those rude and sarcastic
    people, they know who they are.

There are a few typically rude people here, but their numbers are small compared to the number of helpful people.

I think it's not rude to mention that people should search for a topic or just look for it. It's often on the first page of the forum where they're posting their question anyway.

Too many people say paiseh when they really mean that they don't want to look for the answer, don't you think?

I've got a few really rude remarks from two people and I feel bad for them, if they're really that unhappy in real life.

Most people are so friendly that the rude people don't even matter.

Rude is very subjective.

example of a very common sight in CS.

Mr A posted a photo.

Mr B wrote: Badly done, I don't understand why you took it this way.

Mr A reply: If you don't like it, please keep your comments to yourself.

Who is rude here????

Some might felt that Mr B is rude and been elitism.

Some might flet that Mr A is rude and can't take comments.

Rude is very subjective.

example of a very common sight in CS.

Mr A posted a photo.

Mr B wrote: Badly done, I don't understand why you took it this way.

Mr A reply: If you don't like it, please keep your comments to yourself.

Who is rude here????

Some might felt that Mr B is rude and been elitism.

Some might flet that Mr A is rude and can't take comments.
    Sometimes ignoring comments is good. If you can make good come out of comments also good. But there are ways and ways of providing criticism. Lets assume photo badly taken.

Viewer options:

1: Wah.. you so lousy one, why go take pic like that one ah.. post some more.. wah..
    2: Don't like your photo
    3: For me your photo does not work because....

Before one is too quick to say 1 and 2 does not happen, I had 2 happen to me during one of my exhibitions. Young chap approaches during opening night:

He says: "actually I don't like your photos"
    I said: "That's ok, now can you tell me why you don't like them?"
    He looks: ... ?? .. blank stare... nothing to say... ??? Err??

Hmm.. If online forums are not for emo people to just blur out their eom-i-ness then I guess a metaphorical place would be like a classroom where everyone is a teacher and a student and where we all share to learn and teach at the same time..

Now help me here, how would you like your Primary / Secondary / University / Polytechnic teacher to teach you based on the previous options: 1, or 2, or 3?

Your point is that the student is in Primary / Secondary / University / Polytechnic, true.. but you are the teacher, help then to understand where they are, and them teach them how to move up to the next level. If you are not patient with them, then that is a problem with you. There are as many bad teachers as bad students.

-- marios

Quote Originally Posted by marios_pittas View Post
    Sometimes ignoring comments is good. If you can make good come out of comments also good. But there are ways and ways of providing criticism. Lets assume photo badly taken.

Viewer options:

1: Wah.. you so lousy one, why go take pic like that one ah.. post some more.. wah..

Before one is too quick to say 1 and 2 does not happen, I had 2 happen to me during one of my exhibitions. Young chap approaches during opening night:
    Options 1-3 happen almost everyday in CS.....

One interesting observation was that the most entertaining outcome from such reply will always be in P&P section.

To me, a forum a just a platform, the mod here actually did a fairly good job not to interfere too much. Which direction CS will be moving forward to is actually depends on the mass here.Those can't take it will eventually leave here.

Was reading this thread a few days ago
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=52

Someone mentioned that there are already no much people posting and TCSS in CS, i believe what he means is after so many sage in the P&P section, lots of people had left.

But what i had see was that there are also more and more outing been organise by members here doing Macro and Cityscape as compare to last time. Things will change thru time.

Although CS photo galleries are still generally sugar-coated, but hopefully things will slowing improve.

ps. I don't give critique in CS, not becasue i don't like to share. Just that i'm always abit blunt and straight forward. Don't want to make people .

Err just to clarify:

I am using "you" here in an abstract way, not necessarily replying directly to Leong23 specifically or suggesting that he is a bad teacher or bad student! Each one of us should judge our own selves as to what we are and how we behave.

-- marios

Quote Originally Posted by marios_pittas View Post

Viewer options:

He says: "actually I don't like your photos"
    I said: "That's ok, now can you tell me why you don't like them?"
    He looks: ... ?? .. blank stare... nothing to say... ??? Err??

Hmm.. If online forums are not for emo people to just blur out their eom-i-ness then I guess a metaphorical place would be like a classroom where everyone is a teacher and a student and where we all share to learn and teach at the same time..

Now help me here, how would you like your Primary / Secondary / University / Polytechnic teacher to teach you based on the previous options: 1, or 2, or 3?

Your point is that the student is in Primary / Secondary / University / Polytechnic, true.. but you are the teacher, help then to understand where they are, and them teach them how to move up to the next level. If you are not patient with them, then that is a problem with you. There are as many bad teachers as bad students.

-- marios

I started joining the cityscape outings and hope one day to join the macro / nature outings along with my daughter. I feel its a great extension of the virtual world extending into the real world interaction in the spirit of sharing and teaching-learning.

-- marios

Options 1-3 happen almost everyday in CS.....

One interesting observation was that the most entertaining outcome from such reply will always be in P&P section.

To me, a forum a just a platform, the mod here actually did a fairly good job not to interfere too much. Which direction CS will be moving forward to is actually depends on the mass here.Those can't take it will eventually leave here.

Was reading this thread a few days ago
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=52

Someone mentioned that there are already no much people posting and TCSS in CS, i believe what he means is after so many sage in the P&P section, lots of people had left.

But what i had see was that there are also more and more outing been organise by members here doing Macro and Cityscape as compare to last time. Things will change thru time.

Although CS photo galleries are still generally sugar-coated, but hopefully things will slowing improve.

ps. I don't give critique in CS, not becasue i don't like to share. Just that i'm always abit blunt and straight forward. Don't want to make people .

Wah... moral education class...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast