Thread: Low Light Light Meter

Default Low Light Light Meter

No, the title isn't a typo.

I'm looking for a light meter that allows metering in low light... very low light... or even better, very very low light. I think it's hard to describe how low, but probably an exposure requiring a few seconds to tens of seconds at ISO100 and f1.4.

Dug around abit and found that digital/electronic light meters are better suited than analog meters in this respect, and read that the Sekonic L308s is a good candidate. On Sekonic's website, the description for the L308s is as follows:

"At ISO 100, the ambient EV range is 0 to 19.9, flash f/stops range from f/1.4 to f/90.9 with a shutter-speed span of 60-seconds to 1/8000th-of-a-second (1 sec to 1/500th for flash)."

Can I assume that it totally fits my requirements? Can anyone who has this model verify? Haha! Like, turn off the lights in your house, meter the street lamps streaming in through the window. Something like that... hee hee!

Thanks!
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

Default Re: Low Light Light Meter

ev 0 is 2 secs on iso100 f/1.4. thats the lowest ev the meter can do.

I am sure you can achieve the required result with a few test shots instead of investing in a light meter.

Thanks for the on-the-spot test, flipfreak. Hmm... gotta look elsewhere, I suppose.

Diavonex, I agree with you if I were using digital.

But it's my fault for leaving out that I usually go around with film camera only. Haha! And I don't have an advanced compact. And I should also add that I own the small and compact L208, and it has worked well for most situations, except those situations which I mentioned I had trouble with. =)

Anyone else with any experience to share?

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    No, the title isn't a typo.

I'm looking for a light meter that allows metering in low light... very low light... or even better, very very low light. I think it's hard to describe how low, but probably an exposure requiring a few seconds to tens of seconds at ISO100 and f1.4.

Dug around abit and found that digital/electronic light meters are better suited than analog meters in this respect, and read that the Sekonic L308s is a good candidate. On Sekonic's website, the description for the L308s is as follows:

"At ISO 100, the ambient EV range is 0 to 19.9, flash f/stops range from f/1.4 to f/90.9 with a shutter-speed span of 60-seconds to 1/8000th-of-a-second (1 sec to 1/500th for flash)."

Can I assume that it totally fits my requirements? Can anyone who has this model verify? Haha! Like, turn off the lights in your house, meter the street lamps streaming in through the window. Something like that... hee hee!

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Anyone else with any experience to share?
    What you need to look for are spot meters capable of metering down to -3 to -5 EV. I'm not sure if any consumer light meter is capable of that level of sensitivity. An incident meter would most likely not be of much help because of the vast expanse of darkness in your shots.

Look up light meter specs sheets. The key players are still Sekonic, Gossen and Kenko (they took over Minolta meters).

Not a light meter, but the Pentax LX (film camera) is supposed to have an exposure metering range of -6.5ev (125 sec at f1.2) to 20ev (1/2000 sec).

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    What you need to look for are spot meters capable of metering down to -3 to -5 EV. I'm not sure if any consumer light meter is capable of that level of sensitivity. An incident meter would most likely not be of much help because of the vast expanse of darkness in your shots.

Look up light meter specs sheets. The key players are still Sekonic, Gossen and Kenko (they took over Minolta meters).
    Wow... hopefully I'll be able to find something affordable. But doesn't really sound like it, I guess? Will take a look at the different brands. Thanks DM!

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Not a light meter, but the Pentax LX (film camera) is supposed to have an exposure metering range of -6.5ev (125 sec at f1.2) to 20ev (1/2000 sec).
    Wah, from -6.5 to 20EV?! That's a super wide range! Haha! Cool cool... I'll keep that in mind, but for now, I'll try to look for a lightmeter first. =) Thanks!

Actually, I guess perhaps I do not NEED such a sensitive one. As long as I can calculate the equivalent shutter speed can already. My problem now with my current lightmeter is that in low light conditions, I don't even see the needle moving. If there's a meter that will react say, if I set the ISO to 3200, then I can just calculate (minus 4 stops) to get to my ISO100. That should do the trick la...