Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help! GND filter

Default Need help! GND filter

Hi,

I am inspired by some of the stunning landscape photo taken by some of the forummers hence i have decided to invest in a GND filter.

Can i ask where can i buy such a filter and how much is it roughly?

Thanks!

Default Re: Need help! GND filter

tianya can be gotten from tago tech. google for the address. $12 per piece.

Are you referring to ND or GND?

Most retail shops like Cathay Photo will have GND, which normally requires a holder and then it's a square-type filter (as the GND line you require may not always be in the centre.. or even horizontally aligned).

If ND, look under the Mass Order section. There are plenty of them selling various screw on filters... price don't really vary much. In fact price variance can be covered by transport convenience already (I walk over to Henessy's coz it's just a stone's throw from my office, thus my preference). Retail shops also have ND.

Just pick one who has stock and buy.. buy.. buy!
    Last edited by wildcat; 24th June 2010 at 11:03 AM.

Cathy photo has no stocks for GND everytime I asked. You can try your luck there.

Otherwise, I usually get from one of the mass sales thread.
    Last edited by ahbian; 24th June 2010 at 11:17 AM.

Tk Foto carries Hitech and Lee if u are serious..

OP/AP?CP should have Cokins

I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

OP sells Cokin GND at $35. I think CP is slightly cheaper, around $32. IIRC, Cokin 1- and 2-stop GND only one model. 3-stop at least 3 different graduation models: soft, hard and one more that graduates across the entire filter. Still gotta get the holder and adapter ring.

Blog Entries

i'm using tagotechs filters... its the cheapest liao

I am looking for a screw on GND filter! is it recommended?

As wildcat say :Most retail shops like Cathay Photo will have GND, which normally requires a holder and then it's a square-type filter (as the GND line you require may not always be in the centre.. or even horizontally aligned) But i am against lugging so many filters out when taking photos! Haha

And which stop do you guys recommend me to buy?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CamInit View Post
    OP sells Cokin GND at $35. I think CP is slightly cheaper, around $32. IIRC, Cokin 1- and 2-stop GND only one model. 3-stop at least 3 different graduation models: soft, hard and one more that graduates across the entire filter. Still gotta get the holder and adapter ring.
    Stocks for GND goes very fast. And Cokin GND8 is usually hard to come by. And the prices of the filters depends. Not all are 35. Some are more ex if I remember correctly. CPL is the most expensive, around 70+ I think.

And yes, CP is always out of stock for ND and GND. I think they are purposely not stocking it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fieryglazer View Post
    I am looking for a screw on GND filter! is it recommended?

As wildcat say :Most retail shops like Cathay Photo will have GND, which normally requires a holder and then it's a square-type filter (as the GND line you require may not always be in the centre.. or even horizontally aligned) But i am against lugging so many filters out when taking photos! Haha
    screw on is not recommended for GND. This is because there is a light side and a dark side for a GND. On a screw on, it will be at 50%. Thing is when we shoot landscapes, we will match the GND according to the composition, which is not always at 50%. So a rectangular filter allows you to slide the filter up down, and adjust the angle as well.

Blog Entries

You can buy Cokin from OP or CP(usually out of stock). If you want the expensive Lee, Hitech filters, go to CP or TK. If you want the very cheap Tianya, you can buy in mass sales.

Or you can look in BnS for used ones. I am selling my set there too.

Quote Originally Posted by CamInit View Post
    Cokin adapter ring+filter holder+filter cost approximately $62.

From CP.

Cokin(77mm) filter ring - $18
    Cokin P series Adaptor - $14
    GND/ND each - Around $31

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Treetrunk View Post
    From CP.

Cokin(77mm) filter ring - $18
    Cokin P series Adaptor - $14
    GND/ND each - Around $31
    Ya, that is the funny thing. CP sells the Cokin ND and GND filters cheaper than other stores. But they never have it in stock... LOL.

CP is the distributor for Cokin in SG btw... I wonder how the other stores get their stock when CP doesn't have them.

Why do I still think you sound like you're looking for ND filter than a GND...

GND is just to darken the sky a bit so that there is a more balanced exposure for sky. It's normally 1 stop, seldom more than 2 stops.

ND filters are darker... hardly anyone gets 1 or 2 stops. So starting from 3 up to 10 stops. If you need to "smooth water" in bright daylight with lots of sun... even 10 stops may sometimes not be enough

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Why do I still think you sound like you're looking for ND filter than a GND...

GND is just to darken the sky a bit so that there is a more balanced exposure for sky. It's normally 1 stop, seldom more than 2 stops.

ND filters are darker... hardly anyone gets 1 or 2 stops. So starting from 3 up to 10 stops. If you need to "smooth water" in bright daylight with lots of sun... even 10 stops may sometimes not be enough
    Actually bro, I use all GND2 (1stop), GND4(2stop), and GND8(3stop) at different occasions. I use the GND2 the least.

As for ND, I use 2 stops, 3 stops and 10 stops. Sometimes I wish I have a 6 stop one, since stacking gives bad results sometimes.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 24th June 2010 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Actually bro, I use all GND2 (1stop), GND4(2stop), and GND8(3stop) at different occasions. I use the GND2 the least.

As for ND, I use 2 stops, 3 stops and 10 stops. Sometimes I wish I have a 6 stop one, since stacking gives bad results sometimes.
    I just bought 6 stop ND yesterday

Didn't realize got so many stops GND one... almost bought a screw-on B+W GND yesterday also.

yar, i need a nd8 and a nd106

BBB

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    yar, i need a nd8 and a nd106

BBB
    Good friends lend each other their filters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast