Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Need advice/suggestion on lens

  1. #1

    Default Need advice/suggestion on lens

    Hi everyone,

    I've start a new thread to seek advices, suggestions and opinions on the lens that I'm intending to get.

    Canon EF-S 15-85mm (f/3.5-5.6)
    This lens is wide, and far focal length enough for a Landscape and a Walkabout shoot, but to me, it's quite costly, around $1k ++.

    Tamron 17-50 (f/2.8 Constant)
    Yes, this price is pretty affordable for me, $600ish. Pretty wide for Landscape and a Walkabout, but I'm afraid about the focal length that it's pretty short for far subject.

    Sigma 17-70 (f/2.8-4.5) Macro
    This seems good, cost around $580ish. Wide is okay for me, Walkabout is quite a far focal length for me, and a additional feature of macro. But I'm afraid cos this lens isn't popular, and I wonder what's the pros and cons about this lens.

    Hope to seek good opinions on this lenses.
    Think fast, aim for the best !

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    197

    Default Re: Need advice/suggestion on lens

    You seem to have two primary concerns: budget, and focal length - specifically at the telephoto end.

    Your sign-off states you have an 18-135mm kit. You should look through the EXIF of the photos that you shot with this lens and see which is your most common focal length that you shoot at. That will provide you with a gauge of whether you need the extra reach. I am just curious though; apart from the extra 3mm at the WA end, you're giving up telephoto range if you were to get the 15-85mm. I'm making this observation based on your two key concerns as stated in your questions.

    Focal length is an area that only you can decide for yourself on whether it suits your needs. If you're talking about image quality, I believe you can easily find sample images of these lenses available online. You can try www.flickriver.com if you haven't done so already. Ultimately, you decide whether the quality justifies the price tag, too.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Need advice/suggestion on lens

    Quote Originally Posted by alcohollywood View Post
    You seem to have two primary concerns: budget, and focal length - specifically at the telephoto end.

    Your sign-off states you have an 18-135mm kit. You should look through the EXIF of the photos that you shot with this lens and see which is your most common focal length that you shoot at. That will provide you with a gauge of whether you need the extra reach. I am just curious though; apart from the extra 3mm at the WA end, you're giving up telephoto range if you were to get the 15-85mm. I'm making this observation based on your two key concerns as stated in your questions.

    Focal length is an area that only you can decide for yourself on whether it suits your needs. If you're talking about image quality, I believe you can easily find sample images of these lenses available online. You can try www.flickriver.com if you haven't done so already. Ultimately, you decide whether the quality justifies the price tag, too.
    Thanks a thousand. The link you've put down is awesome.

    And yes, you are right, what I'm looking at is the Wide V.S Extra Reach V.S Budget.

    I'll read up more about it and then shortlist to my purchase.

    Once again, thanks very much.

    Will appreciate if there's any users of the 3 lens stated above to share their opinions with me.
    Think fast, aim for the best !

  4. #4
    Member voxies09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Need advice/suggestion on lens

    1. you have to fix the focal length that you like
    2. fixed the aperture
    3. fixed the budget
    4. check the review and see sample photo
    Canon Kiss X4 | 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II Kit lens | 50mm f1.8

  5. #5
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: Need advice/suggestion on lens

    I feel sigma 17-70mm is rather good for general walk about and the shorter min focus distance compared to the kit lens is rather useful. However, at 17mm, the distortion is higher than the 18mm kit lens...this can b corrected during pp. Overall, it's faster than the kit lens and thus more useful in low light condition.
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  6. #6
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Need advice/suggestion on lens

    I do think standard large-aperture zoom is good value, coupled with cheap telephoto.
    For example, 17-50/2.8 and 55-200.

    Of course this is just my opinion
    Exploring! :)

  7. #7
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Need advice/suggestion on lens

    Or may I suggest you go for a UWA and keep your 18-135. If you shoot landscapes, UWA is very fun...
    Tokina 11-16, 12-24, Sigma 10-20, Canon 10-20. You pick.

  8. #8
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: Need advice/suggestion on lens

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Or may I suggest you go for a UWA and keep your 18-135. If you shoot landscapes, UWA is very fun...
    Tokina 11-16, 12-24, Sigma 10-20, Canon 10-20. You pick.
    You mean 10-22?

  9. #9
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: Need advice/suggestion on lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey-Boy View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I've start a new thread to seek advices, suggestions and opinions on the lens that I'm intending to get.

    Canon EF-S 15-85mm (f/3.5-5.6)
    This lens is wide, and far focal length enough for a Landscape and a Walkabout shoot, but to me, it's quite costly, around $1k ++.

    Tamron 17-50 (f/2.8 Constant)
    Yes, this price is pretty affordable for me, $600ish. Pretty wide for Landscape and a Walkabout, but I'm afraid about the focal length that it's pretty short for far subject.

    Sigma 17-70 (f/2.8-4.5) Macro
    This seems good, cost around $580ish. Wide is okay for me, Walkabout is quite a far focal length for me, and a additional feature of macro. But I'm afraid cos this lens isn't popular, and I wonder what's the pros and cons about this lens.

    Hope to seek good opinions on this lenses.
    Get the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and a Canon 70-200 f2.8

  10. #10
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Need advice/suggestion on lens

    Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    You mean 10-22?
    yup.. typo.

  11. #11
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Need advice/suggestion on lens

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Or may I suggest you go for a UWA and keep your 18-135. If you shoot landscapes, UWA is very fun...
    Tokina 11-16, 12-24, Sigma 10-20, Canon 10-22. You pick.
    poisonous , but i agree with you
    Exploring! :)

  12. #12

    Default Re: Need advice/suggestion on lens

    Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    I feel sigma 17-70mm is rather good for general walk about and the shorter min focus distance compared to the kit lens is rather useful. However, at 17mm, the distortion is higher than the 18mm kit lens...this can b corrected during pp. Overall, it's faster than the kit lens and thus more useful in low light condition.
    I see I see, Yup that's why I'm seeing the Sigma 17-70.. looks pretty good to me..

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Or may I suggest you go for a UWA and keep your 18-135. If you shoot landscapes, UWA is very fun...
    Tokina 11-16, 12-24, Sigma 10-20, Canon 10-20. You pick.
    I agree with you. I was loaned a Tokina 10-17 fisheye from my neighbour for a week. That is awesome especially when you are at 10mm, however, it's not a pure wide angle.

    Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    Get the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and a Canon 70-200 f2.8
    Cleon, I don't zoom a lot.. so probably i don't need a 70-200, maybe if i will to get a zoom, i will get a 55-250.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    poisonous , but i agree with you
    haha so where's the antidote ??
    Think fast, aim for the best !

  13. #13
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: Need advice/suggestion on lens

    i will def recommend a UWA, like ZCA andDD123, in the likes of Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 11-16 if the budget permits
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    718

    Default Re: Need advice/suggestion on lens

    Stick with your 18-135 if you're comfortable with the variable aperture. Is that a concern for you? And yes, a UWA will open up a whole new world of photography. You should consider that if you're doing slot of walkaround shooting..

  15. #15

    Default Re: Need advice/suggestion on lens

    Thanks for the advices and suggestion guys.

    Decided to stick back to my EF-S 18-135, and I'll be saving up for a Sigma 10-20 or Canon 10-22.
    Think fast, aim for the best !

  16. #16
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Need advice/suggestion on lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey-Boy View Post
    Thanks for the advices and suggestion guys.

    Decided to stick back to my EF-S 18-135, and I'll be saving up for a Sigma 10-20 or Canon 10-22.

  17. #17
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Need advice/suggestion on lens

    Exploring! :)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •