Thread: Forum buying&selling ethics/morals?

Default Forum buying&selling ethics/morals?

Hi Guys,

Jus wanna seek your opinions on the below. Is the buying of equipment from another forum at a lower price and re-selling it here at a higher price considered a breach of ethics?

Curious to know how you guys feel about this situation.

Default Re: Forum buying&selling ethics/morals?

As long as it's legally acquired, you can buy from anywhere and sell at any price you want.

It's largely self-regulating because people more or less know the going price for a particular item. Sell too high, either nobody will buy, or they're straightaway going to ask for a hefty discount.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

I don't see any problem in it. Unless the "merchant" uses underhand tactic like asking for hefty discount during meet-up.

Quote Originally Posted by maisatomai View Post
    I don't see any problem in it. Unless the "merchant" uses underhand tactic like asking for hefty discount during meet-up.
    Ya thats what i felt also. Since it is a genuine transaction between both parties, meaning that both parties had agreed to the price upon dealing, then this should not be an issue at all. Just my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by fieryglazer View Post
    Hi Guys,

Jus wanna seek your opinions on the below. Is the buying of equipment from another forum at a lower price and re-selling it here at a higher price considered a breach of ethics?

it depends.

a situation where it is clearly fair is when first hand lens price goes up, and second hand market rides along with the first hand lens price.

in that case, if i bought second hand 50mm f/1.4 for say, $320, then brand new price at that time was $350. brand new price became $500, i am entitled to sell my lens at a profit of $480.

also, if i took the trouble to bid on ebay to find a bargain, say a rangefinder for $20, and sell it for $120 market price, that's fair too, right?

what is not fair is when you come up with win stories - "hi, i am poor student, my father died in car accident last year, please give me discount", etc.. or lowball consistently to sell at higher prices. in which case you are a trader, or just a plain liar, and that is not ethical in clubsnap.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    what is not fair is when you come up with win stories - "hi, i am poor student, my father died in car accident last year, please give me discount", etc.. or lowball consistently to sell at higher prices. in which case you are a trader, or just a plain liar, and that is not ethical in clubsnap.
    The other one guy wanted a lower price for my 400D and kit lens because he told me he had to support two wives and a mistress.

I took pity on him and gave him $35 discount. Just imagine what you have to go through to make 3 women happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    The other one guy wanted a lower price for my 400D and kit lens because he told me he had to support two wives and a mistress.

I took pity on him and gave him $35 discount. Just imagine what you have to go through to make 3 women happy.
    ROFL! i freaking the above comment. Super funny

normally i found the price is a bit too expensive for those 2nd hand lens in BnS... no warranty, used 1 year+ they are selling like 80% of new item price, some like 50mm f1.8 even more EXPENSIVE than new one..with warranty etc..
    Canon Kiss X4 | 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II Kit lens | 50mm f1.8

Quote Originally Posted by voxies09 View Post
    normally i found the price is a bit too expensive for those 2nd hand lens in BnS... no warranty, used 1 year+ they are selling like 80% of new item price, some like 50mm f1.8 even more EXPENSIVE than new one..with warranty etc..
    it is relative. If you are selling 80% of a 3k item, it is $600 off. If you are selling 80% of a $200 item, it is $40 off. On the other hand, cannot apply a flat rate discount like say $600 across the board. This would mean the one trying to sell you the 50/1.8 would have to give you $400 in order for you to "buy" his lens. So can only rely on the market forces. If your item is in demand, it will sell no matter how high the price.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 24th June 2010 at 01:13 AM.

Blog Entries

well. my take on this case. if u wanna sell, another wanna buy, they agreed and are happy, thats fine.

some ppl sell for profit, some sell for helping some student who wants to learn and giving them a headstart. some con, some cheat.

judge when ur in bns lor. so far i met with reliable sellers. so i'm still lucky

Hi Guys,

frankly, although there is nothing legally wrong, I rather not see this.

Alamak, next time got people/shops constantly monitor clubsnap B&S and snap up the good lobangs the minute is posted and then resell it later on.

I mean if a rich guy wants to sell off his toy cheaply, I would rather a photo enthusiast get the good deal. Rather than sold to a profit making trader....

wymmoon
    Guests

Hi Guys,

Telling 1/2 e story. press e price, deliver to u den sell at profit, ethical?

nothing wrong of course. Its a matter of demand and supply without perfect knowledge (whatever economics I can remember haha). if you manage to sell to us because we couldnt find that cheaper forum then good for you.

Blog Entries

as much as i personally hate flip-traders in this and other forums.......... making money is not a crime ... as much as losing money in a trade is also not a crime ......
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast