Thread: around singapore

Default around singapore

Hello, im actually just a random enthusiast, admittedly do not have a great understanding of pro photography. but i guess the beauty of photography is that one can enjoy it at varying degree of understanding. so this is my first post, just wondering what you guys think.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    these are taken with a gx100, so honestly speaking, you cant really discuss much techniques and lens and apertures and shutter speed stuff. but if you think there is a jarring problem with those, do point it out to me so i can learn to be better. haha.

i would like input on composition. by and large, being a noob, i try to keep my photos simple before i learn to juggle more complex composition. so critiques on such matters will be of great help and interest to me.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    These are actually from a series of photo which i took under the blunt theme of "when you desperately need a holiday and you dont have enough money."

so i guess more or less they are about trying to look at singapore slightly in an escapist manner.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    both the day shots are taken in very good bright day, and the night shot was done in a quite badly lit street with slightly longer exposure with small aperture to reduce the a "sharpness" and amount of lines appearing.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    i guess every photographer kinda like their photos. but of course im sure there are people who have alot to say about it. im jus wanna listen to what people think critically and learn from it i guess.

more will be posted if i dont get murdered in first round. cheers!
    Last edited by knoxknocks; 23rd June 2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Only 1 image per week for critique

Default Re: around singapore

Quite a good attempt. Textbook example of the 1/3 rule. It always take great attention to details to simplify a composition like this one. I'm not too confortable with the trees creeping in from behind the hoarding though. Its not apparent what the structure on the other side is so its a little difficult to read your intentions. Graphically, the photo is quite pleasing.

i think if the blue sky is more saturate and if the yellow building is brighter it will be better.

this doesnt look like taken in singapore, very nice. where is it ah?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

ok i have no idea where to reply coz its actually my first post. haha i'll try this.

kit,

actually im kit too. but thats beside the point.

i agree with you that the tree creeping behind is a bit disturbing. haha. i guess the issue when i was taking it was that if i try to shift it out of sight, i would need to get a lower view point, which will distort the vertical on the hoardings. so its either distorted hoarding or little bushy stuff creeping behind. but thanks for the comment! i kinda wish the tree didnt grow as tall. haha.

dennis,

yeah i guess if i go full blown with the saturation it could be better. its actually a construction side at punngol. i think the yellow thing is some part of some machinary. thanks for pointing that out. cheers!

feel that this can be nicer if you could go lower and hide the bushes beyond the metal sheets..
    Hmm, I feel the sky has to saturate a little more to balance the grass...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by ictrlaltdelyou View Post
    i agree with you that the tree creeping behind is a bit disturbing. haha. i guess the issue when i was taking it was that if i try to shift it out of sight, i would need to get a lower view point, which will distort the vertical on the hoardings. so its either distorted hoarding or little bushy stuff creeping behind. but thanks for the comment! i kinda wish the tree didnt grow as tall. haha.
    Have you tried taking a few steps forward?

that is true. haha.

Hi there, you have a potential winner here. Other than the treeline behind the hoarding, I feel that the cloud texture is not optimal. You might wanna shoot the same under different sky conditions. Juz a thought...

hello lekech, thank you for your kind inputs. i agree that the cloud texture isnt very well captured.

haha that little piece on the left took me quite a while to wait for the wind to blow it there and squeeze it in.

but i guess its not really the kinda of place one would go for a 2nd shooting trip. i've another one with slightly better clouds with similar composition, will post it soon for you guys to wack.

thanks again. (:

do u have a landscape version of similar composition?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

hm? of the spot? i actually do here http://www.flickr.com/photos/1558996...7624091258939/

but i wasnt really talking about that. haha.

For some reason i prefer the landscape version. when i view the portrait version i had some questions which i felt needed to be addressed. The landscape version although not perfectly 1/3 rule but the aspect ratio fits the 3 subjects in the pic.
    5DMk2,400D,EOS3 50mm F1.4,28-75 F2.8,GRDIII 28mm F1.9
    www.flickr.com/jenson_goh

thats interesting. cause i always look at the 2 and think that the landscape one has too many unrelated subjects. but i will keep that in mind when selecting my images next time. thanks for your opinion!

Blog Entries

Hi, I think I like this portrait more. As in, I like the feeling it gives me, the colour and such. I don't know how to put it as I'm beginner. But sometime when i see a photo by gut feeling i will like how its composed but can't give an education respond. Just that, I don't know if I'm thinking too much but the two different cloud is kinda distracting for me. If the sky only has the more pale cloud (on the right, I think), i guess the picture will look more pure.