Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: does the shutter count increase when using video or live mode ?

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: does the shutter count increase when using video or live mode ?

    Actually I notice that when I use live view for taking pictures, the shuttle count seem to increase by 2. Mine is a nikon d5000.

  2. #22
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: does the shutter count increase when using video or live mode ?

    Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11 View Post
    Actually I notice that when I use live view for taking pictures, the shuttle count seem to increase by 2. Mine is a nikon d5000.
    When you switch to live view, the shutter takes 1 count. Then take photo + another 1 count. So total 2 counts when change to live-view to take a shot.
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  3. #23
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: does the shutter count increase when using video or live mode ?

    Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11 View Post
    Actually I notice that when I use live view for taking pictures, the shuttle count seem to increase by 2. Mine is a nikon d5000.
    NASA would be pleased to see this cheap way of getting new shuttles But then, it's only the shutter count of your camera
    EOS

  4. #24
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: does the shutter count increase when using video or live mode ?

    Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    Just use...why be so worried about shutter count. When shutter wear out, just replace. It is cheap. I really don't understand why people are so paranoid about having high shutter count? Just like people buying car and then do not want to have high mileage, and choose to take public transport.
    Some do it just in case they have to sell / want to sell, in order to preserve higher resale value If they just use the car occasionally then renting a car is cheaper.
    EOS

  5. #25
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: does the shutter count increase when using video or live mode ?

    Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11 View Post
    Actually I notice that when I use live view for taking pictures, the shuttle count seem to increase by 2. Mine is a nikon d5000.
    1 shutter count = one cycle of open and close of the shutter.

    Is it true that:

    when you activate live view, the mirror flips open, shutter open. when you fire off a shot, the mirror flips down, shutter closes (1 count), mirror flips up, shutter opens, shot taken, shutter closes (1 more count), thens shutter opens again.

    Fire the shutter 2nd time, mirror flips down, shutter closes (1more count), mirror flips up, shutter opens, shot taken, shutter closes (1 more count), thens shutter opens again.

    2 photos 4 shutter actuations. Correct me if I am wrong?
    Last edited by daredevil123; 24th June 2010 at 01:24 PM.

  6. #26

    Default Re: does the shutter count increase when using video or live mode ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Some do it just in case they have to sell / want to sell, in order to preserve higher resale value If they just use the car occasionally then renting a car is cheaper.
    Buying a camera and have in mind wanting to sell it??? Strange theory....might as well don't buy, then don't have to sell. You cannot earn money from buying and selling cameras....camera is a tool, like a paint brush to an artist. Do you see artist trying to save the paint brush and paint while trying to create their master piece?

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: does the shutter count increase when using video or live mode ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    NASA would be pleased to see this cheap way of getting new shuttles But then, it's only the shutter count of your camera
    haha..opps...sorry about the typo


    Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    When you switch to live view, the shutter takes 1 count. Then take photo + another 1 count. So total 2 counts when change to live-view to take a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    1 shutter count = one cycle of open and close of the shutter.

    Is it true that:

    when you activate live view, the mirror flips open, shutter open. when you fire off a shot, the mirror flips down, shutter closes (1 count), mirror flips up, shutter opens, shot taken, shutter closes (1 more count), thens shutter opens again.

    Fire the shutter 2nd time, mirror flips down, shutter closes (1more count), mirror flips up, shutter opens, shot taken, shutter closes (1 more count), thens shutter opens again.

    2 photos 4 shutter actuations. Correct me if I am wrong?

    Thanks for the clarification...so if I turn on live view and switch off live view again later without taking any pictures, it will still be counted a 1x shutter count?

  8. #28
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: does the shutter count increase when using video or live mode ?

    Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11 View Post
    haha..opps...sorry about the typo







    Thanks for the clarification...so if I turn on live view and switch off live view again later without taking any pictures, it will still be counted a 1x shutter count?
    The sensor needs to be exposed to see in live-view...so shutter has to open. if you disable it, it will close. 1 cycle.
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: does the shutter count increase when using video or live mode ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    The sensor needs to be exposed to see in live-view...so shutter has to open. if you disable it, it will close. 1 cycle.
    Thanks...I also just test it as well. Yes, once you turn on live view, 1 shutter count is gone even if you not taking any pictures..

  10. #30
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: does the shutter count increase when using video or live mode ?

    Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    Buying a camera and have in mind wanting to sell it??? Strange theory....might as well don't buy, then don't have to sell. You cannot earn money from buying and selling cameras....camera is a tool, like a paint brush to an artist. Do you see artist trying to save the paint brush and paint while trying to create their master piece?
    I fully agree to that. Looks weird to me. But what I observed here: especially people who are uncertain whether they will pursue the hobby for a longer period think along this way. But then again, a 6 months old camera with 1000 clicks vs. 10,000 clicks ... again it's not worth to think about $ here. Upgrade Syndrome is a different (amusing) story altogether
    EOS

  11. #31
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: does the shutter count increase when using video or live mode ?

    Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11 View Post
    Actually I notice that when I use live view for taking pictures, the shuttle count seem to increase by 2. Mine is a nikon d5000.
    Don't be too concern with the shutter count. It last at least 100,000 shots.
    You should be more concern in improving to be a better photographer than to worry about shutter count. No point if you don't achieve some good standard in photography even if the shutter count is a million count
    Take the shot!

  12. #32
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: does the shutter count increase when using video or live mode ?

    Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification...so if I turn on live view and switch off live view again later without taking any pictures, it will still be counted a 1x shutter count?
    That is definite.

  13. #33
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: does the shutter count increase when using video or live mode ?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    That is definite.
    Like dd123 said...yes....when you hear the mirror flipping sound...you wud know the camera was getting the sensor...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •