Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

Thread: how to replace a dull sky with a clear blue sky with natural clouds

  1. #21

    Default Re: how to replace a dull sky with a clear blue sky with natural clouds

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Err... can I quote "Content-Aware Fill with Adobe Photoshop CS5"?
    Our friend here is hoping for something free. So how ?

    Seems like this CS5 is very amazing, must save up to get one.

  2. #22

  3. #23
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: how to replace a dull sky with a clear blue sky with natural clouds

    Try Photoscape, increase the backlight to brighten up the dull sky...then saturate+increase contrast...
    *not sure if result is good...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  4. #24
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: how to replace a dull sky with a clear blue sky with natural clouds

    btw, I think there's a free version of Photoshop available that has lesser functions. Free and bundled with basic features. Search for it and enjoy yourself.
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  5. #25

    Default Re: how to replace a dull sky with a clear blue sky with natural clouds

    Wait, isn't fliter>>render>>clouds something different all together? it basically gives you this strange thing that has no semblance to clouds.

  6. #26
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: how to replace a dull sky with a clear blue sky with natural clouds

    OT abit...replacing the sky... suddenly I recall the topic of cheating
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  7. #27

    Smile Re: how to replace a dull sky with a clear blue sky with natural clouds

    Thanks so much for the guidance, you deserve to be a moderator, you methods works.

    also thanks to those who try to help here.

    Really appreciate everyone.

  8. #28
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: how to replace a dull sky with a clear blue sky with natural clouds

    Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    OT abit...replacing the sky... suddenly I recall the topic of cheating
    Nice big smile to you ... but who amongst us have not cheated before

  9. #29
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: how to replace a dull sky with a clear blue sky with natural clouds

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Nice big smile to you ... but who amongst us have not cheated before
    To keep my conscience clear, I try as much not to cheat
    At least not 1/3 where the sky is
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  10. #30

    Default Re: how to replace a dull sky with a clear blue sky with natural clouds

    Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    To keep my conscience clear, I try as much not to cheat
    At least not 1/3 where the sky is

    Fully agree with ovaltinemilo. If gonna change frm grey to blue skies or whatever color you prefer, a pns can do an equally good job - just go back and edit with whatever software you want...sharpen, fake bouquets etc etc.

    A good pix taken with a dslr should have minimal pping to retain its value as perceived by the eye.

  11. #31

    Default Re: how to replace a dull sky with a clear blue sky with natural clouds

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Nice big smile to you ... but who amongst us have not cheated before
    i agree with you, if not why are they appearing in this Digital Darkroom. haha.

    Unless they think when they use PS/CS5/gimp etc for sharpening, increase contrast, brigtening etc are not cheating.

    Photo editing is part and parcel in digital world, it is a skill to let individual like us to enhance the overall picture, isn't it?

    Hence we have dslr with raw format, software like PS, gimp etc.

  12. #32
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: how to replace a dull sky with a clear blue sky with natural clouds

    Quote Originally Posted by takengo2003 View Post
    i agree with you, if not why are they appearing in this Digital Darkroom. haha.

    Unless they think when they use PS/CS5/gimp etc for sharpening, increase contrast, brigtening etc are not cheating.

    Photo editing is part and parcel in digital world, it is a skill to let individual like us to enhance the overall picture, isn't it?

    Hence we have dslr with raw format, software like PS, gimp etc.
    pp to enhance is totally fine..layering the same scene is also fine...I just nv prefer to "replace" the whole sky...
    Last edited by ovaltinemilo; 21st June 2010 at 05:24 PM.
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  13. #33

    Default Re: how to replace a dull sky with a clear blue sky with natural clouds

    Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    pp to enhance is totally fine..layering the same scene is also fine...I just nv prefer to "replace" the whole sky...
    actually, to each of his own. For me, i am very new in digital imaging. Recently just learn abit of sharpening, contrast, now learning layers which is why i use sky as an example. Bro, you are a great help here too.

  14. #34
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: how to replace a dull sky with a clear blue sky with natural clouds

    Quote Originally Posted by takengo2003 View Post
    actually, to each of his own. For me, i am very new in digital imaging. Recently just learn abit of sharpening, contrast, now learning layers which is why i use sky as an example. Bro, you are a great help here too.
    No prob. It's really personal preference for that. Not to challenge..haha..actually if you hope to edit/enhance more with better results I really think Photoshop helps alot. Just that it's not very intuitive/user-friendly if you first started with it. Search the web on how to do it, try it out and you will definitely be more familiar with it.

    Anyway, you downloaded Gimp, correct? hope you play with it more and be more efficient in it.
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  15. #35

    Default Re: how to replace a dull sky with a clear blue sky with natural clouds

    Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    No prob. It's really personal preference for that. Not to challenge..haha..actually if you hope to edit/enhance more with better results I really think Photoshop helps alot. Just that it's not very intuitive/user-friendly if you first started with it. Search the web on how to do it, try it out and you will definitely be more familiar with it.

    Anyway, you downloaded Gimp, correct? hope you play with it more and be more efficient in it.
    my first thought also photoshop, but after seeing the price and weighing the necessity on how often i will use it, i decided to go for freeware.

    how much you paid for your photoshop? i presume CS5?

    yes, downloaded gimp, will explore on that when got time, thanks.

  16. #36
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: how to replace a dull sky with a clear blue sky with natural clouds

    At some point, one stops being a photographer and starts being a photoshopper. To me, if one's intent is to tweak a photograph as what it is, either to make more like how it was (cameras do not always WB correct, etc) or sharpen, tweak the contrast, etc... as long as the photo remains pretty much what it was when it was taken, it is still a photograph, albeit highly tweaked.

    If instead I take a blank slate (your pick of white or transparent BG), and put in the appropriate sky, the appropriate buildings, the appropriate people, the appropriate floor - then change the entire floor pattern and colour, and decide that the moon should be bigger, brighter, so I put one into the pic also, and while I'm it, I managed to salvage an old photo of a T101 Terminator so that looks good peeking from a, oh, lemme put a manhole there in the floor, ...

    ...is that still a photograph?


  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,436

    Default Re: how to replace a dull sky with a clear blue sky with natural clouds

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    At some point, one stops being a photographer and starts being a photoshopper. To me, if one's intent is to tweak a photograph as what it is, either to make more like how it was (cameras do not always WB correct, etc) or sharpen, tweak the contrast, etc... as long as the photo remains pretty much what it was when it was taken, it is still a photograph, albeit highly tweaked.

    If instead I take a blank slate (your pick of white or transparent BG), and put in the appropriate sky, the appropriate buildings, the appropriate people, the appropriate floor - then change the entire floor pattern and colour, and decide that the moon should be bigger, brighter, so I put one into the pic also, and while I'm it, I managed to salvage an old photo of a T101 Terminator so that looks good peeking from a, oh, lemme put a manhole there in the floor, ...

    ...is that still a photograph?


    At some time ago, man's idea of work was to go out to work in the field. Nowadays, we wake up to go to an aircon room and push on plastic surfaces with letters... Now is that work?
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

  18. #38
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: how to replace a dull sky with a clear blue sky with natural clouds

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    At some point, one stops being a photographer and starts being a photoshopper. To me, if one's intent is to tweak a photograph as what it is, either to make more like how it was (cameras do not always WB correct, etc) or sharpen, tweak the contrast, etc... as long as the photo remains pretty much what it was when it was taken, it is still a photograph, albeit highly tweaked.

    If instead I take a blank slate (your pick of white or transparent BG), and put in the appropriate sky, the appropriate buildings, the appropriate people, the appropriate floor - then change the entire floor pattern and colour, and decide that the moon should be bigger, brighter, so I put one into the pic also, and while I'm it, I managed to salvage an old photo of a T101 Terminator so that looks good peeking from a, oh, lemme put a manhole there in the floor, ...

    ...is that still a photograph?


    Preference and taste. Bro wildcat, I am along your line coz I am not into graphic designing.
    Usual tweaks are fine...don't prefer too much...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  19. #39
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: how to replace a dull sky with a clear blue sky with natural clouds

    TS, please note that if you "replace" the sky, you need to make sure the new sky and the foreground can work together in terms of lighting. That means, it has to make sense. Think about it, buildings with dull light, and suddenly on top of that you see a nice bright blue sky...

    Have fun. Gimp is very very advanced already, considering that it is freeware.

    And if you are looking for something similar to content aware delete/fill in CS5, there is a free plugin available for GIMP that do almost the same thing. In fact, I think the functionality from CS5 sort of grew from this plugin. It is called "resynthesizer plug-in". Google it to find the link to download it.

  20. #40

    Default Re: how to replace a dull sky with a clear blue sky with natural clouds

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    TS, please note that if you "replace" the sky, you need to make sure the new sky and the foreground can work together in terms of lighting. That means, it has to make sense. Think about it, buildings with dull light, and suddenly on top of that you see a nice bright blue sky...

    Have fun. Gimp is very very advanced already, considering that it is freeware.

    And if you are looking for something similar to content aware delete/fill in CS5, there is a free plugin available for GIMP that do almost the same thing. In fact, I think the functionality from CS5 sort of grew from this plugin. It is called "resynthesizer plug-in". Google it to find the link to download it.
    i do aware that the sky and the foreground must match well, else it iwll be very artificial.

    thanks for the plugin info. will google and download it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •