Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bottle Tree

Default Bottle Tree

ISO 800, F/5, 1/4000s, Center Weighted Average

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    - Composition, Exposure and focus

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    - Clear photo of objects, not over exposed

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    - Took this while attention a family day function organized by company early in the morning

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    - Think a bit under expose

Picture was cropped slightly and the rest remains the same as taken.

C&C welcomed.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by knoxknocks; 20th June 2010 at 04:20 PM.

Default Re: Bottle Tree

knoxknocks and skylover is it the same person ?

How to get 2 names into one registration, I would like to do that.

Aim is to not over expose, but think it is under expose.. ?

The picture is lacking contrast.

There is no point of interest in the picture, maybe except the sign.
    Last edited by cabbySHE; 20th June 2010 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post

Aim is to not over expose, but think it is under expose.. ?

The picture is lacking contrast.

There is no point of interest in the picture, maybe except the sign.
    haha.. nope. Different person.

Underexpose at which part?
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

I juz realized knoxknocks is the forum moderator.
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

Pls refers to #4 of your post.

Pls refers to #4 of your post.
    noted. Hw abt focus and sharpness of the photo. From wad i see.. seem quite ok. =X

A normal thumb of rule to check your image quality is to open up the file at 100% and start to scroll corner to corner.

Btw , you have to find something to illustrate the bottle tree, not just by showing the signage.

I understand that there are some trees there that looks / shape like a bottle. Includes that into your picture / composition may have strengthen the content.
    Last edited by cabbySHE; 20th June 2010 at 07:07 PM.

Something like this u mean? Correct me if i'm not wrong. Thanks

This is just a too straight forward picture, suitable to be use in some text book illustration purpose but does not portray a feeling of the place.

Your approach is leaning towards the recording style...like

at Bottle Tree, you will see this, and this, and this etc.

Looking at your pictures give me a feeling that the weather is very hot and humid, perspire already just by looking, does not provoke a feel / urge to go there at all.

Have to quickly put on a pair of sunglasses coz of the glare.

How do you feel this place when you're there ?

I would say this is a typical photo taken to remember the place. There is no point of interest to make it special but doesnt mean we shldnt take such shots.

Your washout look is due to the bright sun, if you do not want to do PP, having less of the sky in the photo may help.

The typical problem with such sky/land/sea photos are that the usual idea of 1/3 of each do not work as well here. Try having almost 2/3 water and just a hint of sky or the other way round, depending when the sky or water is more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrflare View Post
    I would say this is a typical photo taken to remember the place. There is no point of interest to make it special but doesnt mean we shldnt take such shots.

Your washout look is due to the bright sun, if you do not want to do PP, having less of the sky in the photo may help.

The typical problem with such sky/land/sea photos are that the usual idea of 1/3 of each do not work as well here. Try having almost 2/3 water and just a hint of sky or the other way round, depending when the sky or water is more interesting.
    yap.. its quite bright and sunny. Actually I find the trees there but interesting but then surrounding the tree is quite plain.

what does pp here refer to? Sorry first time post photo here to get comment not very familiar to the terms used.

Post Processing... refers to all those tweaking in photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by skylover View Post

Something like this u mean? Correct me if i'm not wrong. Thanks
    please observe the rule in Critique Corner. PLS READ BEFORE POSTING - Important Notice to all making Critique Requests

Reminder

Please be reminded that you're only allowed to post 1 picture per week for critique request.

There are queries about the counting of the week, as we cannot standardize when a week starts for all members, the week is calculated from the time the 1st post is made for the preceding thread.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Not that the pic1 is noisy, but technically speaking, no need for ISO800 on a bright burning day. ISO100 will do, and can stop down to f8, shutter speed should still be about 1/125s

Bumping up contrast a little bit may help... ditto bumping up saturations....

Nothing to shout about regarding composition, but its a record of TS's travels so that makes it valuable enough

Happy shooting !
    I probably collect lenses more than I take pictures
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/33270154@N03/

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Sorry.. Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by driveanegg View Post
    Not that the pic1 is noisy, but technically speaking, no need for ISO800 on a bright burning day. ISO100 will do, and can stop down to f8, shutter speed should still be about 1/125s

Bumping up contrast a little bit may help... ditto bumping up saturations....

Nothing to shout about regarding composition, but its a record of TS's travels so that makes it valuable enough

Happy shooting !

Thanks for the advice. Noted with thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by skylover View Post

ISO 800, F/5, 1/4000s, Center Weighted Average

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    - Composition, Exposure and focus

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    - Clear photo of objects, not over exposed

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    - Took this while attention a family day function organized by company early in the morning

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    - Think a bit under expose

Picture was cropped slightly and the rest remains the same as taken.

C&C welcomed.

Thanks in advance!
    looking at the shadow, can tell is taken on a sunny day, the sunny f16 says you can safely set your exposure to f16, 1/(same as your ISO), any ISO setting you desire.

for landscape work, we usually use the lowest ISO setting unless you have special reason.

for composition wise, placing the subject at the intersection points of the one third rule will make the composition more interesting and balanced. Placing your subject at the dead center will be very boring or make viewers confuse about what is your main subject.

as this photo taking at a less flattening lighting situation, a straight on angle, don't think any post production or cropping will able to make it more interesting. maybe in future you can spend more time study the subject first before rise the camera to make the shots, you can also move around your subject to explore other possible angles, after making the initial shot.

hope this help.
    Last edited by catchlights; 21st June 2010 at 12:20 AM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quite a modest effort.

Firstly, you have not observed the the thirds rule. I realized that the restaurant is centered both vertically and horizontally. As the sky is pretty dull, no clear blue sky, can try position the restaurant in the top third horizontally so you'll show more water.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    Quite a modest effort.

Firstly, you have not observed the the thirds rule. I realized that the restaurant is centered both vertically and horizontally. As the sky is pretty dull, no clear blue sky, can try position the restaurant in the top third horizontally so you'll show more water.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!
    Hi dingaroo, by placing the restaurant on the top third horizontally. Doesn't it makes the restaurant smaller in a sense and the focus will be more on the water?

Correct me if i'm wrong. I'm still in the learning stage

Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast