Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: full frame or crop?

Default Re: full frame or crop?

Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    Medium format?
    see the budget.

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    if not a full frame, what sensor size then?
    Medium format?
    Medium format. Maybe the Hasselblad H4D or 3D series featuring 40 to 60 mega pixel and other unique and useful features which you cannot find in normal DSLR.

That is why the price for the body alone is more than 20k.

An example is the True Focus and Absolute Position Lock

"Our new True Focus technology helps solve one of the most lingering challenges that faces serious photographers today, true, accurate focusing throughout the image. The new Absolute Position Lock (APL) processor uses modern yaw rate sensor technology to measure angular velocity in an innovative way, accurately logging camera movement and using these exact measurements to calculate the exact distance needed for proper focus. The H4Ds firmware then further perfects the focus using the precise data retrieval system found on all HC/HCD lenses. This technology takes AF to an entirely new level, allowing photographers to concentrate on their composition, to focus on their creativity, while True Focus takes care of the other, more mechanical focus."

Quote Originally Posted by colourfulfaces View Post
    Medium format. Maybe the Hasselblad H4D or 3D series featuring 40 to 60 mega pixel and other unique and useful features which you cannot find in normal DSLR.

That is why the price for the body alone is more than 20k.

An example is the True Focus and Absolute Position Lock

"Our new True Focus technology helps solve one of the most lingering challenges that faces serious photographers today, true, accurate focusing throughout the image. The new Absolute Position Lock (APL) processor uses modern yaw rate sensor technology to measure angular velocity in an innovative way, accurately logging camera movement and using these exact measurements to calculate the exact distance needed for proper focus. The H4Ds firmware then further perfects the focus using the precise data retrieval system found on all HC/HCD lenses. This technology takes AF to an entirely new level, allowing photographers to concentrate on their composition, to focus on their creativity, while True Focus takes care of the other, more mechanical focus."
    if the magazine has the budget, i don't see why not. but i think the 35mm can handle it pretty well for magazine covers as well. mediacorp uses a 5D if i am not wrong.

if the magazine has the budget, i don't see why not. but i think the 35mm can handle it pretty well for magazine covers as well. mediacorp uses a 5D if i am not wrong.
    Yup. Flipfreak should know. He shoots for local magazines and uses a 1Dmkiii.

Hi, IQ from FF after cropping its soft edges is sharper than the cropped sensor with its IQ uncropped edges with the same image size and angle of view.

I think it is still possible to use FF camera like 5D or 1D to shoot commercial assignment. Sometimes, it is the resolution which the client wants but i think 21mp in 5D is sufficient unless they required higher mp like 40mp or 50mp.

Sadly but true, sometimes it is the equipment that clients are looking for and they feel at ease if they are engaging someone who is highly professional and have knowledge in high end equipments and know how to use them. Probably their mindset is to differentiate those really professional to casual or entry professional. Of cos there are some rich people who have such equipments too so how does the client define professional.

All points down to what the clients want to have and that is why a professional in this field will have those equipment but it is only come to use when the client need them. If not, i believe a FF DSLR is able to do the job.

This is purely my point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    Hi, IQ from FF after cropping its soft edges is sharper than the cropped sensor with its IQ uncropped edges with the same image size and angle of view.
    if u are cropping away, wouldn't it be better to shoot the tighter shot to begin with?

I think it is still possible to use FF camera like 5D or 1D to shoot commercial assignment. Sometimes, it is the resolution which the client wants but i think 21mp in 5D is sufficient unless they required higher mp like 40mp or 50mp.

Sadly but true, sometimes it is the equipment that clients are looking for and they feel at ease if they are engaging someone who is highly professional and have knowledge in high end equipments and know how to use them. Probably their mindset is to differentiate those really professional to casual or entry professional. Of cos there are some rich people who have such equipments too so how does the client define professional.

All points down to what the clients want to have and that is why a professional in this field will have those equipment but it is only come to use when the client need them. If not, i believe a FF DSLR is able to do the job.

This is purely my point of view.
    i totally agree with u. clients are sometimes sold on the type of equipment you are using. but having said that, u have to balance their budget with the type of equipment. editorial rates are quite low so unless u already own a medium format setup, i don't think its wise to jump into it just to land that job. u can always rent it if it is really needed. a 35mm setup is still more flexible than a mf setup anyday unless u are shooting solely studio work. imagine the amt of things u need to bring if u are shooting mf ...

just my pov.

just sharing my thoughts on this la. i am sure there are alot of people lurking here that is 100 times more experienced than me.

i totally agree with u. clients are sometimes sold on the type of equipment you are using. but having said that, u have to balance their budget with the type of equipment. editorial rates are quite low so unless u already own a medium format setup, i don't think its wise to jump into it just to land that job. u can always rent it if it is really needed. a 35mm setup is still more flexible than a mf setup anyday unless u are shooting solely studio work. imagine the amt of things u need to bring if u are shooting mf ...

just my pov.
    just sharing my thoughts on this la. i am sure there are alot of people lurking here that is 100 times more experienced than me.
    Totally agree with you bro. These are our POV. I know there will be some very experienced professional photographers reading this so i hope this will not cause a conflicts.

Are you absolutely sure that MF is required for magazine?

My experience tells me otherwise.

I have not have one client book me based on my equipment use. Most ask abt my equipment losely AFTER they have booked my service. Of course, I am not in the show-off business so equipment is less of the important.

I think if your work speak for itself, there is no need to even talk abt the equipment.

Use what u need and not just what u want at least from my point of view.

Regards,

Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    Are you absolutely sure that MF is required for magazine?

My experience tells me otherwise.

I have not have one client book me based on my equipment use. Most ask abt my equipment losely AFTER they have booked my service. Of course, I am not in the show-off business so equipment is less of the important.

I think if your work speak for itself, there is no need to even talk abt the equipment.

Use what u need and not just what u want at least from my point of view.

Regards,

Hart
    I fully agree with you. Clients choose to work with you becos of your ability to deliver. It will be very unfortunate if their selection criteria is based on equipment -- then they are better off looking elsewhere for someone with the highest end gear at the cheapest possible price. Good luck to them!
    Last edited by snowspeeder; 23rd June 2010 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder View Post
    It will be very unfortunate if their selection criteria is based on equipment -- then they are better off looking elsewhere for someone with the highest end gear at the cheapest possible price. Good luck to them!
    The equipment is only as good as it's wielder

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    The equipment is only as good as it's wielder
    There are folks out there who fail to understand this.

even with MF, there is still the question of "full frame or crop sensor"... "full frame" is a relative term... don't have to get hung up about it...

Quote Originally Posted by brosteady View Post
    im curious as a paid photographer what kind of body do you prefer ? lets say you have a choice of d700 and d300 which will you pick?
    Really as a pro? Any camera also can make it. Even a pns also can.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder View Post
    There are folks out there who fail to understand this.
    This is because not everyone get to see your photos, but most would see your camera in your hands.

I think all of us are right one way or another.

Shooting for commercial client versus consumer is totally a different ball game.

As i have mentioned, sometimes it is the requirement from the client. If they want the highest resolution images and they are not satisfied with just 21mp, then i think the MF will come into the pictures and as a professional, you must have the knowledge to know how to use it if the need arises and not fumble at the last min trying to learn.

Of cos, it is not logical to get the MF camera just because of 1 project but i think as a professional in this field (not refering to me), they might think of investing in such equipment to meet future or unexpected needs from the client. Budget consideration should also be considered too and rental is also a possibility. There are alot of ways to get the job done but remember to meet the expectations and the requirements of the client which are the most important factors so that you can get credited or referral and even for future assignment.

Thats all from me. thanks.
    Last edited by colourfulfaces; 23rd June 2010 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    Really as a pro? Any camera also can make it. Even a pns also can.
    Yes for some situation. However, try to use a PNS in F1 or World Cup and see what you can get out of it.

I think all of us are right one way or another.

Shooting for commercial client versus consumer is totally a different ball game.

As i have mentioned, sometimes it is the requirement from the client. If they want the highest resolution images and they are not satisfied with just 21mp, then i think the MF will come into the pictures and as a professional, you must have the knowledge to know how to use it if the need arises and not fumble at the last min trying to learn.

Of cos, it is not logical to get the MF camera just because of 1 project but i think as a professional in this field (not refering to me), they might think of investing in such equipment to meet future or unexpected needs from the client. Budget consideration should also be considered too and rental is also a possibility. There are alot of ways to get the job done but remember to meet the expectations and the requirements of the client which are the most important factors so that you can get credited or referral and even for future assignment.

Thats all from me. thanks.
    I agree to a certain degree. I'm not too sure of the part about "investing" for the future or unexpected needs. A good portion of the working professionals had adopted a digital workflow where the initial cost could be high. So to many, it really doesn't make good business sense to purchase costly equipment which you may or may not be using at all, while they depreciate in value. Perhaps, its essential to get to know how to work with these equipment so you won't be caught out when the occasion arises.

I still maintain that the single most important thing that a working professional should have is a good portfolio which successfully showcase his/her abilities, not the equipment he/she owns.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast