Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night photos with additional spots

Question Night photos with additional spots

Not entirely sure what are these spots on the images, please see below resized and cropped images. I took these last night, left my filter at home and viewfinder with no cover.

#1 taken by 16-85mm
    #2 taken by 35mm f/1.8

Can anyone kindly advise what's the problem?

#1 (Resized)

#1 (100% cropped)

#2 (Resized)

#2 (100% cropped)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Night photos with additional spots

i suspect lens flare. if u take a look, pic 1 the spots resembele the ones on bridge.

2nd one resemble the 4 extra orange lights and the remaining white ones.

anyone can comfirm?

These are re-reflected light internally to the sensor surface to the inner lens surface and back again into the sensor. The lights are practically reflected and then inverted as it re-enters the sensor.

This problem may be inherent to the grade of anti reflection coating of the lens internals. The source of light may just be too "strong" with respect to the rest of the other light source. Stopping down the lens (use higher aperture values) may help at times.
    Last edited by sulhan; 19th June 2010 at 11:27 AM.

Blog Entries

Another term for those lights is called "ghosting"

Funny I never get too much ghosting problems when shooting at night at the same location at Tanjong Rhu. But I was using a UWA then.

Have to admit, I never used my 35mm to shoot any long exposure night scene.

Ghosting issue.

Read it up.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by wmayeo
    Not entirely sure what are these spots on the images, please see below resized and cropped images. I took these last night, left my filter at home and viewfinder with no cover.
    So i presume that there was no filter attached to your lens.
    The point about the viewfinder w/o cover... you suspect some light leaked in from the viewfinder? Can just cover with hand

Quite puzzling to see the ghosting. Will try one day with my 35/1.8 (so far never used for night landscapes) to see if this issue crops up.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    The point about the viewfinder w/o cover... you suspect some light leaked in from the viewfinder? Can just cover with hand

Quite puzzling to see the ghosting. Will try one day with my 35/1.8 (so far never used for night landscapes) to see if this issue crops up.
    Hmm.. just curious. Why will light leak in from viewfinder? Theoretically while taking a shot, the light path from viewfinder to the sensor will be blocked as the the focusing mirror will be flipped up.

Unless of course...by some funny reflection inside the body, and there was a gap somewhere, so the light reached the sensor?
    The best things in life are free.

Quote Originally Posted by sulhan View Post
    These are re-reflected light internally to the sensor surface to the inner lens surface and back again into the sensor. The lights are practically reflected and then inverted as it re-enters the sensor.

This problem may be inherent to the grade of anti reflection coating of the lens internals. The source of light may just be too "strong" with respect to the rest of the other light source. Stopping down the lens (use higher aperture values) may help at times.
    ok thanks, may try that.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Another term for those lights is called "ghosting"

Funny I never get too much ghosting problems when shooting at night at the same location at Tanjong Rhu. But I was using a UWA then.

Have to admit, I never used my 35mm to shoot any long exposure night scene.
    First time encountering this problem, may try again somewhere to shoot tonight.

After using 16-85 then swap with 35mm to check, oh it's there again.
    Is there any way to prevent it?

My friend's 50D was working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Ghosting issue.

Read it up.
    thanks, will read up more about it.

no filter used, purposely took off before i left home. Suspect only.

Quote Originally Posted by wmayeo View Post
    no filter used, purposely took off before i left home. Suspect only.

Light leaking...
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

2 lenses and same issue. Likely problem with body. Use blower clean body and sensor and try again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sulhan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by gymak90 View Post
    Hmm.. just curious. Why will light leak in from viewfinder? Theoretically while taking a shot, the light path from viewfinder to the sensor will be blocked as the the focusing mirror will be flipped up.

Unless of course...by some funny reflection inside the body, and there was a gap somewhere, so the light reached the sensor?
    I've not experienced it before, but an experienced CSer, lkkang, told me this "phenomenon" does indeed happen.
    If you look at the photos of the D700 and D3 viewfinder area (HERE), you'll notice a little twist switch that actually blocks out the viewfinder completely. They must've done that for a reason

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gymak90 View Post

Some light can still leak through the flipped mirror. Especially in long exposures.

When you buy your camera, it should come with a viewfinder cover (Nikon's cameras come with a plastic one). Higher end cameras like D700 and D3 series have a viewfinder cover built into the camera.

Some light can still leak through the flipped mirror. Especially in long exposures.

When you buy your camera, it should come with a viewfinder cover (Nikon's cameras come with a plastic one). Higher end cameras like D700 and D3 series have a viewfinder cover built into the camera.
    Agree with you. I think it was recommended in the D300s manual(pg 191) to use the DK-5.

mine don't have leh .... I go sue Nikon now! hehehehe just kidding... what to do... use hand to cover lor...

Blog Entries

mine don't have leh .... I go sue Nikon now! hehehehe just kidding... what to do... use hand to cover lor...
    Bro, you camera too power already...

Ok let me rephrase that... In extremely long exposures...

BTW went to makan at TPY zichar again. tabao home. Generally good feedback.. *sorry for the slight OT*

Bro, you camera too power already...

Ok let me rephrase that... In extremely long exposures...

BTW went to makan at TPY zichar again. tabao home. Generally good feedback.. *sorry for the slight OT*
    OT forgiven.. tks for the sappork!

anyway, back to the topic...
    i have not noticed any negative impact of the viewfinder being exposed during long exposures... Guess I haven't gone into really LONG exposures. hehehe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast