Thread: Exposure on D5000 and D90

Default Exposure on D5000 and D90

Hi all,

This is my first post in this forum and would like to seek view from all the experts

Today myself and friend took some pictures with our D5000 and D90. With exactly the same settings, our picture looks different. His looks more bright, I understand that D90 have been LCD thus there might be some difference due to this.

I compensate my Exposure with +0.7EV, then I managed to get a similar brightness as compared to his. All these are observation from our camera LCD screen.

The pictures have been uploaded to my flickr with files named according to the exposure. Pls help to provide your view on which is the correct setting? Thanks!

Would like to know if this is normal or should I bring my camera back to Nikon for some adjustment?

Default Re: Exposure on D5000 and D90

Can you open your photos in photoshop and look at the histogram? you should be comparing histograms rather than LCD images. Btw, I do feel that at 0EV, shots were underexposed. When you said same setting, are you really talking about at 1/125s F5.6 etc or the setting in the camera? Also, are you and your friend framing exactly the same such that you can get same meter reading? that needs to be a real planned test..haha..

Anyway, I don't really think it's a problem. Just looking at your own histogram and compensate.
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

hi! thanks for the input! yeah am still waiting for my friend to send me his photo to do a comparison. My guts feel is there is some diff...

Same setting is referring to aperture and shutter speed. environment and framing is similar but not exactly the same thanks!

if possible, do post the pics with histogram and exif for further discussion
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Are the two of you using the same lens/ focal length??

There are too many variables between the two cameras; as such you will not be able to get identical results.

1. Lens

2. Image Sensor

3. Image processor

4. Metering mode

5. In camera settings e.g. saturation, contrast
    Last edited by Diavonex; 19th June 2010 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by larree View Post
    Hi all,

This is my first post in this forum and would like to seek view from all the experts

Today myself and friend took some pictures with our D5000 and D90. With exactly the same settings, our picture looks different. His looks more bright, I understand that D90 have been LCD thus there might be some difference due to this.

I compensate my Exposure with +0.7EV, then I managed to get a similar brightness as compared to his. All these are observation from our camera LCD screen.

The pictures have been uploaded to my flickr with files named according to the exposure. Pls help to provide your view on which is the correct setting? Thanks!

Would like to know if this is normal or should I bring my camera back to Nikon for some adjustment?
    Your +0.3EV shot looks about correct exposure.
    If you next get the chance, try to shoot with exactly the same shutter speed, aperture, and ISO as your friend, taking care to have almost the same framing as well, i.e. when scrolling from one pic to the next, negligible difference.

Then you can see clearly if somehow there is some difference in the exposure.

But if you're talking about 0EV on your camera and 0EV on his camera having difference, then it certainly is possible. Some cameras are biased towards slight over/under-exposure. The metering mode might also play a part.
    Exploring! :)

Blog Entries

hi! thanks for the input! yeah am still waiting for my friend to send me his photo to do a comparison. My guts feel is there is some diff...

Same setting is referring to aperture and shutter speed. environment and framing is similar but not exactly the same thanks!
    Are ISO set the same? Is Auto ISo for both cameras turned off? or set the same?

In-camera picture styles settings set the same?

Same lenses?

Hi all! Sorry for the late response!

Would like to apologize for not providing clear information, will try to do it here again.

We are using the same:
    - Lens (70-300mm)
    - ISO manually set to 1000
    - Metering is set to the same (matrix)
    - Image sensor and processor (i believe D90 and D5000 using the same? correct me if i'm wrong, newbie here)
    - Focal length, aperature and shuttle speed all set to the same.
    - Metering will have slight difference since the framing in the court might differs abit
    - In camera style is set to standard

My friend will be sending me his photo tonight, will post both our photos with EXIF for all expert comments. Many thanks!

Hi all,

that's perfectly normal d5000 tends to underexpose, d90 tends to overexpose, in fact dpreview sees that overexposing for d90 as an issue actually and was corrected in d5000

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5000/page20.asp

"However, the other thing we took issue with on the D90 - its willingness to overexpose - seems to have been corrected. In most situations, the D5000 appears to err on the side of underexposure. This means you may sometimes have to add a bit of positive exposure compensation to make your images reflect the brightness of the original scene but has the advantage that you're less likely to suffer from large numbers of over-bright images with unrecoverable detail (you can pull-up detail you've captured, but you can't pull down detail you haven't)."

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...ew=nikon+d5000

"My experience with the D5000 suggests the camera is prone to slight underexposure in difficult, high contrast situations in order to preserve highlight details. This is essentially the opposite problem that the D90 had, which tended to overexpose slightly during our tests. For those photographers who don't want to use the 3D Matrix metering, center weighted and spot metering options also available."
    Last edited by gimumancer; 21st June 2010 at 10:02 AM.

Blog Entries

Hi all! Sorry for the late response!

Would like to apologize for not providing clear information, will try to do it here again.

We are using the same:
    - Lens (70-300mm)
    - ISO manually set to 1000
    - Metering is set to the same (matrix)
    - Image sensor and processor (i believe D90 and D5000 using the same? correct me if i'm wrong, newbie here)
    - Focal length, aperature and shuttle speed all set to the same.
    - Metering will have slight difference since the framing in the court might differs abit
    - In camera style is set to standard

My friend will be sending me his photo tonight, will post both our photos with EXIF for all expert comments. Many thanks!
    When using matrix metering, the scene capture will affect the metered results. What I suggested is a controlled test, with a tripod locked into place. so the view is perfectly the same.

I believe, even if there is a difference, it will be slight.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    When using matrix metering, the scene capture will affect the metered results. What I suggested is a controlled test, with a tripod locked into place. so the view is perfectly the same.

I believe, even if there is a difference, it will be slight.
    TS, this is a good way to peform a test... however, I wud suggest...just continue shooting and compensating since lighting condition changes all the time
    Different cameras calculate slightly differently.
    Last edited by ovaltinemilo; 21st June 2010 at 10:26 AM.
    RGB Metering & Focusing.