Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Failure to give way to YOG vehicles is a Traffic Offence

  1. #1

    Default Failure to give way to YOG vehicles is a Traffic Offence

    Just heard from the news that it is an offence for failure to give way to official YOG vehicles with penalty equivalent as the same as with an emergency vehicle.

    What do you think? Is it fair to do so?
    Last edited by eyes; 18th June 2010 at 11:24 PM.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

  2. #2
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Failure to give way to YOG vehicles is a Traffic Offence

    Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    Just heard from the news that it is an offence for failure to give way to official YOG vehicles with penalty equivalent as the same as with an emergency vehicle.

    What do you think? Is it fair to do so?
    really meh
    where u hear from?

  3. #3
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Failure to give way to YOG vehicles is a Traffic Offence

    Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    Just heard from the news that it is an offence for failure to give way to official YOG vehicles with penalty equivalent as the same as with an emergency vehicle.

    What do you think? Is it fair to do so?
    What a bloody load of crap.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  4. #4

    Default Re: Failure to give way to YOG vehicles is a Traffic Offence

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    really meh
    where u hear from?
    News @ 11, Channel U.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

  5. #5
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Failure to give way to YOG vehicles is a Traffic Offence

    nvm i found for u.
    http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_542255.html
    still ok bah. something like a bus lane only.
    i suspect this is because they are supposed to ensure atheletes reach their location within half an hour. at least thats wadi remember from the trainings.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Failure to give way to YOG vehicles is a Traffic Offence

    4 Demerit Points

    Exceeding speed limit of vehicle by up to 20km/h.
    Exceeding speed limit of the road by up to 20km/h.
    Failing to give way to oncoming traffic at controlled junction.
    Failing to give way at uncontrolled junction.
    Failing to give way at junction.
    Failing to give way at roundabout.
    Crossing double white lines.
    Crossing road divider.
    Hindering flow of traffic.
    Failing to give way to ambulance or fire brigade or police vehicle.
    Driving while carrying load on a motor vehicle in a dangerous manner.
    Stop or allow vehicle to remain at rest on shoulder of an expressway.
    Stopping or remaining at rest on the carriageway of an expressway.
    Forming up incorrectly when turning left or right.

    In addition, a composition amount is imposed as follows:

    Light Vehicle (unladen weight of 2500 kg and below): S$130.00
    Heavy Vehicle (unladen weight exceeds 2500 kg): S$160.00
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

  7. #7

    Default Re: Failure to give way to YOG vehicles is a Traffic Offence

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    nvm i found for u.
    http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_542255.html
    still ok bah. something like a bus lane only.
    i suspect this is because they are supposed to ensure atheletes reach their location within half an hour. at least thats wadi remember from the trainings.
    If you pay COE & Road Tax & cannot use Bus Lanes half the time already, will you still say it's okay?
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

  8. #8
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Failure to give way to YOG vehicles is a Traffic Offence

    maybe I not driver so ill never understand... sorry

  9. #9

    Default Re: Failure to give way to YOG vehicles is a Traffic Offence

    A lot drivers think that because they pay road tax they deserve the rights to run over cyclists too.

    Singaporean got to get rid of the mentality of owning the roads just because they pay road tax. It is the same for treating civil servants like their actual servants because they pay tax. Can't we be nice to each other? How much time will you lose?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, Singapore
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: Failure to give way to YOG vehicles is a Traffic Offence

    Quote Originally Posted by theonlyone View Post
    A lot drivers think that because they pay road tax they deserve the rights to run over cyclists too.

    Singaporean got to get rid of the mentality of owning the roads just because they pay road tax. It is the same for treating civil servants like their actual servants because they pay tax. Can't we be nice to each other? How much time will you lose?
    well some cyclists act like they own the road and do not keep to the side of the road. this makes it dangerous for the vehicle coming up, because the bicycle is much slower. the vehicle behind must either slow down abruptly, or choose to switch lanes - both of which can be dangerous to other vehicles.

    the most dangerous are those cyclists that weave left and right. it's like you can just about squeeze past them in the lane, but you never know when they will swing out again.

    from a safety perspective, i would say that cyclists dont belong on the singapore roads because traffic is too fast and roads are narrow
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

  11. #11
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: Failure to give way to YOG vehicles is a Traffic Offence

    Quote Originally Posted by antacid View Post
    well some cyclists act like they own the road and do not keep to the side of the road. this makes it dangerous for the vehicle coming up, because the bicycle is much slower. the vehicle behind must either slow down abruptly, or choose to switch lanes - both of which can be dangerous to other vehicles.

    the most dangerous are those cyclists that weave left and right. it's like you can just about squeeze past them in the lane, but you never know when they will swing out again.

    from a safety perspective, i would say that cyclists dont belong on the singapore roads because traffic is too fast and roads are narrow
    I'd hate to see another motorist-only point of view or cyclist-only point of view. Frankly, I see the negative side of both, and actually more negativity on the cyclists side (seen enough of them running red lights, weaving in and out)

    That said, I disagree with the first sentence wrote here because a cyclist who feel that a road is too narrow for a car to squeeze by, does have a right to move further out to prevent any attempt by a motor vehicle to endanger the cyclist's own life by "trying" to squeeze where the laws of physics of not having two solid objects occupy the same space at the same time, will cause more damage to the cyclist than the motorist. I'm sure there are times when you wonder why road already so narrow the cyclist still don't give way - try being the cyclist and then you will understand. It's called defensive riding, and yes, if you are driving and cannot move out to the next lane, the next best option is NOT to run down the cyclist, but is to slow down.

    Things have definitely improved in the last couple of years especially from taxis and public buses, but we still know what the car forum people bitch about till today.
    Last edited by wildcat; 19th June 2010 at 02:23 AM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: Failure to give way to YOG vehicles is a Traffic Offence

    Quote Originally Posted by theonlyone View Post
    Singaporean got to get rid of the mentality of owning the roads just because they pay road tax. It is the same for treating civil servants like their actual servants because they pay tax. Can't we be nice to each other? How much time will you lose?
    Well... I see more cyclists who think they own the road than cars I am tempted to think it's a Singapore mentality also.

    And when something does happen, I can't believe the mob mentality that some cyclists have.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Failure to give way to YOG vehicles is a Traffic Offence

    I guess YOG has more rights to the road than other road users; they're now an emergency.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

  14. #14
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Failure to give way to YOG vehicles is a Traffic Offence

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Well... I see more cyclists who think they own the road than cars I am tempted to think it's a Singapore mentality also.

    And when something does happen, I can't believe the mob mentality that some cyclists have.
    well... do cyclists (most of them) have basic understanding on the highway code and stuff? i kinda dun think so.

    well. how often do u see a cyclist signal with his right hand waving out to say he wanna turn right?

  15. #15

    Default Re: Failure to give way to YOG vehicles is a Traffic Offence

    This can only happen here, so as to facilitate the organizer to make things happen ( on time ).

  16. #16

    Default Re: Failure to give way to YOG vehicles is a Traffic Offence

    Actually, athens 2004 and beijing 2008 did the same thing. They set up lanes for olympic vehicles. Singapore simpky followed that model. Nt sure about the penalties tho
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: Failure to give way to YOG vehicles is a Traffic Offence

    Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    If you pay COE & Road Tax & cannot use Bus Lanes half the time already, will you still say it's okay?
    Well.. you hv a choice don't pay lor.. (and don't drive).........

    Anyway, I feel that it is ridiculous to accord the same "priority status" to the YOG vehicles to be like emergency vehicles.. It's only a sports event, not an emergency..

    Not to mention that Singapore is so small.. even if it is a big place like China, can't they just leave the hotel 1 hour earlier to cater for any possible delays?!

    So, is the extra few minutes rest of the whoever in the YOG vehicle more precious than that of the businessman or CEO or the average Singaporean or resident who have to give way to the YOG vehicles.......?!

  18. #18

    Default Re: Failure to give way to YOG vehicles is a Traffic Offence

    So a 3 lane road will becomes... one for bus, one for YOG convoy, leaving one to be shared by all vehicles.

  19. #19
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: Failure to give way to YOG vehicles is a Traffic Offence

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    well... do cyclists (most of them) have basic understanding on the highway code and stuff? i kinda dun think so.

    well. how often do u see a cyclist signal with his right hand waving out to say he wanna turn right?
    Most of those I know, will signal in one form or another, either by looking back to check for traffic and/or indicating with hand signals. Those who don't, I just assume they will eventually be eliminated through some form of statistic on the road.

    Anyway this is off topic. If further discussion needed, can open another thread and I can share with you my dead beaten horses or cows or dogs.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    谁是你
    Posts
    2,706

    Default Re: Failure to give way to YOG vehicles is a Traffic Offence

    Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    Just heard from the news that it is an offence for failure to give way to official YOG vehicles with penalty equivalent as the same as with an emergency vehicle.

    What do you think? Is it fair to do so?
    To avoid being stuck in a jam, the organizer should just activate the air force helicopters to airlift them to the venues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •