Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laptop or a Macbook pro

Default Re: Laptop or a Macbook pro

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    u are totally wrong. u are not paying for the pro tag.

the build for Macbook and Macbook Pro is different! One is cheap plastic one is solid aluminum. And Macbook ram up to 4G while Macbook Pro up to 8G.

btw, Acer to me sucks, battery dies out fast and the tech support is non existent.
    If you take care of ur notebook well I don't see how build quality is important. And if I wanted something powerful I would use my desktop, not a laptop. 4GB RAM is enough for me.

I agree tech support for Acer sucks, my laptop was ready for collection after servicing and they didn't even say anything, they say must go check the website yourself. But battery I think depends on which model you get and how you use it, as I said my laptop can last a full 8 hours if doing Word document only (with occasional browsing of the net)

Do you need a mac? Or are you just interested by joining the herd??

Do you prefer a Mac OS or Windows based OS? This will be the main deciding factor.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    I don't think backlit keyboard is really important, and 2GB of RAM difference shouldn't cost that much. imo you're just paying for a "pro" tag behind. And those prices are in USD.
    i agree backlit keyboard is nice to have but at times when you happen to be in a dim environment, the backlit keyboard is a huge plus.

actually we are no longer paying for the "pro" tag. not sure if you are aware but apple added "pro" features to the higher end macbook range and re-introduced it as entry level macbook pro at a lower price point. also the max 8gb ram will be useful as you move to the realm of 64-bit. the latest photoshop cs5 is 64-bit enabled for mac and it will be able to use more than the 3gb limit the 32-bit versions could.

and btw....the prices i listed are in S$. do go check out apple online store or retail shops if you don't believe me.

* funny not many complain sony or fujitsu laptop expensive

http://assets.hardwarezone.com/retai...Notebook_0.pdf
    http://assets.hardwarezone.com/retai...Notebook_2.pdf
    Last edited by madmacs; 19th June 2010 at 01:35 PM.

A Mac of course, been using it for 5 years and upgraded it 3 times from the Powerbook G4 to the latest Mac Book Pro, no anti-virus software used, computer does not hang, very intuitive, and most importantly, it doesn't run on Windows.
    Chris
    5D2 / 5D3 / 16-35 2.8L II USM / 24-70 2.8L / 100 2.8L IS Macro/ 70-200 2.8L IS

Just a question, what are the main advantages of snow leapord vs windows?
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

Quote Originally Posted by chris0804 View Post
    A Mac of course, been using it for 5 years and upgraded it 3 times from the Powerbook G4 to the latest Mac Book Pro, no anti-virus software used, computer does not hang, very intuitive, and most importantly, it doesn't run on Windows.
    just gave away my 12-year old powermac g3 beige desktop to a friend a few mins ago. still very good working condition after all these years, and now running OS X 10.3.9.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty628 View Post
    Just a question, what are the main advantages of snow leapord vs windows?
    this question could start a war you know.

best you read about snow leopard here.

Actually I have the ThinkPad T61 which is 3 years old with 8GB of RAM, it blows my friends MacBook Pro which is about a year old away when we do a test on Photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    Actually I have the ThinkPad T61 which is 3 years old with 8GB of RAM, it blows my friends MacBook Pro which is about a year old away when we do a test on Photoshop.
    In what way?

And if i get a mac, does it mean i can't play dota or modern warfare 2?
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    i agree backlit keyboard is nice to have but at times when you happen to be in a dim environment, the backlit keyboard is a huge plus.

actually we are no longer paying for the "pro" tag. not sure if you are aware but apple added "pro" features to the higher end macbook range and re-introduced it as entry level macbook pro at a lower price point. also the max 8gb ram will be useful as you move to the realm of 64-bit. the latest photoshop cs5 is 64-bit enabled for mac and it will be able to use more than the 3gb limit the 32-bit versions could.

and btw....the prices i listed are in S$. do go check out apple online store or retail shops if you don't believe me.

* funny not many complain sony or fujitsu laptop expensive

http://assets.hardwarezone.com/retai...Notebook_0.pdf
    http://assets.hardwarezone.com/retai...Notebook_2.pdf
    Ok sorry about the price thing, my knowledge of Apple products is obviously outdated lol.

But anyway, not many people really do use so much RAM...8GB RAM so what? Some people only want to do word processing but get 8 GB RAM because they think higher number means better...Most users would have trouble using up even 2/3GB of RAM, why need 8 GB?

As for Sony and Fujitsu laptops, idk much about them, but they're definitely overpriced. That's why not many people use them, unless they don't know what they're doing, or have not enough banks to store their money in

Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    i think its the RAM. my previous T61 was slow as hell whenever 1gb+ of its 2gb was used up. my current W500 doesn't fare much better with windows. it ran a lot faster after i replaced windows with linux.

Ok sorry about the price thing, my knowledge of Apple products is obviously outdated lol.

But anyway, not many people really do use so much RAM...8GB RAM so what? Some people only want to do word processing but get 8 GB RAM because they think higher number means better...Most users would have trouble using up even 2/3GB of RAM, why need 8 GB?
    if you are doing word processing and email then a netbook will suffice. if you are into heavy photoshop and video editing then you will appreciate the additional RAM. my mac pro is loaded with 14GB and once i start working with aperture and photoshop, more than half the RAM can easily be used up.

Smile Re: Laptop or a Macbook pro

It's better to use Macbook/Macbook Pro than a normal laptop. My experience is that Mac does not have virus but a normal laptop always invaded by different types of virus. Even with protection.

Quote Originally Posted by MGohzxc View Post
    It's better to use Macbook/Macbook Pro than a normal laptop. My experience is that Mac does not have virus but a normal laptop always invaded by different types of virus. Even with protection.
    Most of the time, it's the user's fault when the computer is infected.

Quote Originally Posted by hori View Post
    Most of the time, it's the user's fault when the computer is infected.
    i agree. the key phrase is "Most of the time". anti-malware vendors will always be a few steps behind the creators, so any computer will be vulnerable - just that some are a lot less vulnerable than others - with protection or otherwise.

If Mac is so good, why is there a Windows software to run Windows on Mac?

I dont remember seeing a software to run Mac on Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by doubleeyelids View Post
    If Mac is so good, why is there a Windows software to run Windows on Mac?

I dont remember seeing a software to run Mac on Windows.
    cos sometimes no choice have to run some software that does not have any mac equivalent. eg. i use vmware fusion to run some of my company's windows-only in-house apps.

on a similar note, why do some folks want to hack mac os x to run on their formerly-windows machines?

anyway its not whether mac is good or windows is good. its which you are comfortable with and happy to use.
    Last edited by madmacs; 19th June 2010 at 11:20 PM.

If you take care of ur notebook well I don't see how build quality is important. And if I wanted something powerful I would use my desktop, not a laptop. 4GB RAM is enough for me.

I agree tech support for Acer sucks, my laptop was ready for collection after servicing and they didn't even say anything, they say must go check the website yourself. But battery I think depends on which model you get and how you use it, as I said my laptop can last a full 8 hours if doing Word document only (with occasional browsing of the net)
    u are wrong again. Macbook no matter how u take care, cos of the material of the plastic, very fast it gets scratches!

In the long run, you will save money with a Mac. It will probably serve you longer, without the need to "upgrade" every couple of years. My last mac laptop lasted me 8 years and is still being used as a "hand-me-down' by someone else now.

Haha...this has become a thread on pc vs mac, i guess what TS really want to know is whether to use a win pc or a mac as a better complement for photography, just to sidetrack a little bit.....personally i switched over to a macbook (aluminium) 2 yrs back, n i've not looked back since, 20 yrs of using windows pc & 2 yrs on a mac, the only regret i have is, y didnt i switch over earlier. U only need 1 reason to use a mac STABILITY full stop. Of course the other plus points are a great as well, beautiful graphics, better web surfing experience, simplicity of use, great ergonomics, and did i mention its so darn stable?? 2 yrs n it has never chrashed or hanged on me, no pesky trojans, no unwanted alterations of my browser settings due to trojans etc. And for mac users who install windows, its usually for 2 reasons:
    a) certain s/w that works better on windows like excel/co specific custom s/w etc
    b) new mac users who are either too lazy to tryout a new OS or fear learning how to use it (its as simple as 1-2-3 really) or they buy cos of the external design n thinks its cool using a mac but still install a windows in it, which in this case i think they will be better off using a win pc/laptop and continue spending more time/money buying n fiddling with anti-virus s/w n spend 5 hrs a day trying to hunt down n remove those trojans.
    Last edited by offwhite; 20th June 2010 at 12:32 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast