Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 62

Thread: My initial white KX preview, compared to eos1000d

  1. #1

    Default My initial white KX preview, compared to eos1000d

    Hi Guys, juz wanna share some opinions abt my KX. This is one of those rare occasion where it's not a canon!

    The KX is quite pretty in white and seems to possess all the features that needed.

    AF is pretty fine, similar to my eos1000d. I m generally a single point AF shooter most of the time, so the much talked about 'no active AF point display' is fin with me. of course it better if they offer it!

    Nikon menu & buttons drives me nuts, but pentax menu layout are ez to learnt. So I got acquainted with it easily w/o reading in-depth of the manual.

    After using various m4/3 cam, the AF comparatively is god-sent! like wat a dslr should be. it pretty much similar to my eos 1000d. AF is fast but a little louder.

    One of the key feature is the 4.7fps burst mode with 17 frames. but i only managed 3 frames !!! what happened? I found with lens distortion/CA correction turned on, it only shoots 3 frames & stopped! A real waste, i think as i cant leave them on all the time. Let me know if yr cam behaves any differently!

    batteries AA type, which i am not very excited about, but not a deal breaker for me. will tell more aft a week of usage.

    Viewfinder seems a little dimmer/smaller than my eos1000d.fyi, i am not a spec wearer.

    Ergonomics are fine, feels more solid than the 1000D.

    One thing I love my eos1000d is the self timer wif burst mode, so kids love to shoot themselves jumping/leaping zany style. for the KX, i guess need to rely on a remote.

    Another reason to like the KX is the in-camera effects much like my olympus ep1/epl1. this is fine and works very well.

  2. #2
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: My initial white KX preview, compared to eos1000d

    U are talking about the film KX or the digital K-x?

  3. #3

    Default Re: My initial white KX preview, compared to eos1000d

    Quote Originally Posted by powergoo View Post

    batteries AA type, which i am not very excited about, but not a deal breaker for me. will tell more aft a week of usage.
    imo, i find this one of the best aspect of the camera when i bring it on holiday and there are limited charging opportunities.

    it gets worse in winter when batteries go all cranky in the sub-zero temp. so the flexibility to use AA is a bit plus to me.

  4. #4

    Default Re: My initial white KX preview, compared to eos1000d

    Quote Originally Posted by detritus View Post
    imo, i find this one of the best aspect of the camera when i bring it on holiday and there are limited charging opportunities.

    it gets worse in winter when batteries go all cranky in the sub-zero temp. so the flexibility to use AA is a bit plus to me.

    well the proprietary batteries in my Canons has never gave me any problems even in sub-zero temps. I generally dun need to charge when I bring 2 fully charged batteries.

    This is also where battery grips comes in handy, u can choose to use AA or twin lithium -ion batteries...although with increased weight/size penalty.

    But that's juz my preference

  5. #5

    Default Re: My initial white KX preview, compared to eos1000d

    Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    U are talking about the film KX or the digital K-x?

    haha the digital one for film I hv the canon F1s and Nikon F ! both a real beauty...refine yet tough..made from a bygone era...

  6. #6

    Default Re: My initial white KX preview, compared to eos1000d

    er... comparison of k-x with eos 1000d is quite inappropriate right?

  7. #7
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: My initial white KX preview, compared to eos1000d

    Quote Originally Posted by evolutioner View Post
    er... comparison of k-x with eos 1000d is quite inappropriate right?
    Should compare with C550D

  8. #8

    Default Re: My initial white KX preview, compared to eos1000d

    Should be alright to compare with 1000D since both is Entry level. But better if compare with 550D. lol

    Thanks for the review!

    FPS i think rely on the memory card speed. So far I dun find a problem. Just dun activate the distorning etc function and its fine.

    Though, I found it weird using burst mode on two lenses.

    1) Tamron 17-50 and other lens when I took a pic, the K-x like to take a moment to process.
    2) Tamron 28-75 I had some differentiation on this, after shutter, the pic process very very fast. Even using burst mode, it very fast then other lenses. Dunno why.

    Maybe I take a video and show?
    My Flickr iownthislensthatlensthislensthatlens

  9. #9

    Default Re: My initial white KX preview, compared to eos1000d

    Quote Originally Posted by evolutioner View Post
    er... comparison of k-x with eos 1000d is quite inappropriate right?
    Why not? They are around the same price. Just featureset not so similar
    I don't subsidize marketing campaigns.

  10. #10

    Default Re: My initial white KX preview, compared to eos1000d

    Firstly, why canon 1000d is coz I used to own one, so I am in a position to compare.
    No used comparing to a cam I hv not use, then it will be more of a feature/desktop comparison.
    Specifications are 1 thing, actual usage will prove if the specs are true....eg. not all AF system are made the same even though they have the same no. of AF points

    2ndly, the price bracket is similar, so the KX is a lot of money for the price.

  11. #11

    Default Re: My initial white KX preview, compared to eos1000d

    Quote Originally Posted by powergoo View Post
    Firstly, why canon 1000d is coz I used to own one, so I am in a position to compare.
    No used comparing to a cam I hv not use, then it will be more of a feature/desktop comparison.
    Specifications are 1 thing, actual usage will prove if the specs are true....eg. not all AF system are made the same even though they have the same no. of AF points

    2ndly, the price bracket is similar, so the KX is a lot of money for the price.
    Are you the one that uses 1000D for your Japan trip?
    My Flickr iownthislensthatlensthislensthatlens

  12. #12

    Default Re: My initial white KX preview, compared to eos1000d

    wa..how u know huh? am i being stalked!!! haha

  13. #13

    Default Re: My initial white KX preview, compared to eos1000d

    Quote Originally Posted by powergoo View Post
    wa..how u know huh? am i being stalked!!! haha
    I like your travel pic of places of japan that u went. U went every detail about it. love the IQ of 1000D also. Coz at first u use PnS then u upgrade to Eos1000D in the travel thread.

    I love japan, but havent go there yet. So your travel pic does drool me over. lol
    My Flickr iownthislensthatlensthislensthatlens

  14. #14

    Default Re: My initial white KX preview, compared to eos1000d

    Ok, regarding some reported issue about clipping highlights, it's true and so u hv to be careful on the exposure.
    The metering isn't spot on sometimes. The canon eos1000d is more reliable in this respect.

    I love the fisheye effects! or rather....most of the effects!

  15. #15

    Default Re: My initial white KX preview, compared to eos1000d

    Hello Powergoo,

    M4/3 user here (GF1).. thinking of trying the Pentax k-x.
    How's the battery life (eneloop)? HOw many shots can you get?

    Is the WB darker?

    I was at SLR Revo last Sun,... get to feel the camera but shopguy says can't turn on due to shutter count.



    Thanks in advance...

  16. #16
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: My initial white KX preview, compared to eos1000d

    Quote Originally Posted by wksoh View Post
    Hello Powergoo,

    M4/3 user here (GF1).. thinking of trying the Pentax k-x.
    How's the battery life (eneloop)? HOw many shots can you get?

    Is the WB darker?

    I was at SLR Revo last Sun,... get to feel the camera but shopguy says can't turn on due to shutter count.



    Thanks in advance...
    Battery life average 900-1000 without LV and flash.

  17. #17

    Default Re: My initial white KX preview, compared to eos1000d

    Quote Originally Posted by wksoh View Post
    Hello Powergoo,

    M4/3 user here (GF1).. thinking of trying the Pentax k-x.
    How's the battery life (eneloop)? HOw many shots can you get?

    Is the WB darker?

    I was at SLR Revo last Sun,... get to feel the camera but shopguy says can't turn on due to shutter count.



    Thanks in advance...
    hi, my 1st set natteries not depleted yet..but is better than gf1 which i had.

    can try cam @ alan photo 2nd funan. price is only 10 more @ 79+.

  18. #18

    Default Re: My initial white KX preview, compared to eos1000d

    Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    Battery life average 900-1000 without LV and flash.
    Wow....! I'm impressed! Do you need a specific charger to achieve that?.. I read about individual channel Maha chargers.. Thanks Cleonbus.. I think you're the right guy I can find out more.

    Does the white balance tend to be darker for photos? (Can fix with EV though).

    Can help me answer In case you know: How does the Bokeh of the 77mm f1.8 compare with Canon 85mm f1.8? (When taking full body portrait - not shoulder / head shots).. I'm planning to take pictures with person standing and bokeh at the back - without going to full frame (can't afford + the size). I tried to search for 77mm f1.8 stadning portraits but are too few in flicker.


    I've been doing homework.. .. considering Canon 550D and the Pentax k-x. For Canon's price, I figure I can get an extra lens with Pentax K-x.

    Many sincere thanks
    Last edited by wksoh; 23rd June 2010 at 12:05 PM.

  19. #19

    Default Re: My initial white KX preview, compared to eos1000d

    Quote Originally Posted by powergoo View Post
    hi, my 1st set natteries not depleted yet..but is better than gf1 which i had.

    can try cam @ alan photo 2nd funan. price is only 10 more @ 79+.
    Thanks for the tip..
    Let me know your 1st charge can last how many shots.. Are you using standard Sanyo chargers?

    Thanks for the tip on where to demo too..

  20. #20
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: My initial white KX preview, compared to eos1000d

    Quote Originally Posted by wksoh View Post
    Wow....! I'm impressed! Do you need a specific charger to achieve that?.. I read about individual channel Maha chargers.. Thanks Cleonbus.. I think you're the right guy I can find out more.

    Does the white balance tend to be darker for photos? (Can fix with EV though).

    Can help me answer In case you know: How does the Bokeh of the 77mm f1.8 compare with Canon 85mm f1.8? (When taking full body portrait - not shoulder / head shots).. I'm planning to take pictures with person standing and bokeh at the back - without going to full frame (can't afford + the size). I tried to search for 77mm f1.8 stadning portraits but are too few in flicker.


    I've been doing homework.. .. considering Canon 550D and the Pentax k-x. For Canon's price, I figure I can get an extra lens with Pentax K-x.

    Many sincere thanks
    I'm using the 2hr Sanyo charger.WB nope.Unfortunately,i do not own both the FA 77mm f1.8and EF 85mm f1.8 so i cannot tell you about the bokeh of both lenses.

    As for price,K-x(300mm kit)is $1103.A 550D 18-55 kit is $12xx(Street price).After getting the K-x,i think you still have enough money to get some accessories

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •