Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Now it's my turn!

Default Re: Now it's my turn!

comparatively, it seems the exposure was enhanced and yes, pic was cropped too
    Last edited by papajanggo33; 17th June 2010 at 03:30 PM.
    Fun in photography is inFinity
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by wdEvA View Post
    seems like the image has been cropped (modified) as well.
    Ya. They cropped to suit the layout i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by soeypixels View Post
    OT: this reminds me of the thread about SPH using one of CSer's photo
    btw whats the results?
    Ya. That was the time my heart was thinking sue them la! KNN! They deserve it. haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by icarus View Post
    Seriously... if they stole my pic, i will just look up a lawyer and shoot them a letter asking for public apology and $$$$...
    Ya, you think so easy? I was in your shoes few months back. You don't mind engaging lawyer for me? I can split the pay out with you half half haha.

Seems like I will be meeting the copyright legislate tomorrow.

Posted on fredmiranda to ask for help and sure enough, they seem to know more about this. Well whatever they say, I'm not 100% sure of the full meaning, but if you could uncode this comment please help me by telling me.

If you had the copyright and contact info in the IPTC data, it is pretty simple... register the image with the copyright office in the US (you have, I think, 90 days from publication date and can do this online), invoice them for usage and damages, and they have to pay. US law carries damages for unauthorized use, which can be as high as US$150K. A copyright lawyer would likely take the case on a contingency fee basis. CNN knows better and is hoping you'll just be chuffed with the publication.

Whatever it says, i will pay a visit to the copyright office tomorrow since I'm on holiday and see what can I do without brining in lawyers in to the picture.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lamergod View Post

Posted on fredmiranda to ask for help and sure enough, they seem to know more about this. Well whatever they say, I'm not 100% sure of the full meaning, but if you could uncode this comment please help me by telling me.

If you had the copyright and contact info in the IPTC data, it is pretty simple... register the image with the copyright office in the US (you have, I think, 90 days from publication date and can do this online), invoice them for usage and damages, and they have to pay. US law carries damages for unauthorized use, which can be as high as US$150K. A copyright lawyer would likely take the case on a contingency fee basis. CNN knows better and is hoping you'll just be chuffed with the publication.

Whatever it says, i will pay a visit to the copyright office tomorrow since I'm on holiday and see what can I do without brining in lawyers in to the picture.
    wa. ur in US?

IMHO, I think what you're doing is really going over board. They only take one picture from you right? And you want to go to court. Say you sue them, lawyers help you win. Then ask yourself, who are you going up against? How much do you think your picture they used could fetch you? Will it pay your legal fees? Will they pay for your legal fees instead? Will you even WIN the case? You said you're a student, so I'm right to assume that you don't have a stable source of income. When you lose the case, who's gonna pay for your fees? Your parents? Please, think twice. I'm a student too. Da shi hua xiao, xiao shi hua wu. Just send them an email and claim for compensation fees or ask them to remove. You think this is gonna be like some drama where the good people always win? You're threading on thin thread now, be careful. Every action has a backlash. Weigh your consequences before going ahead with your "lawsuit". Thats IMHO. But if you're gonna go ahead with trying to sue them, then GOODLUCK! Shall cheer for you as a fellow CS'er and as a fellow student! Update more, whether you win/lose. Just wanna know the outcome
    littlemissmassacre.tumblr.com photolog

Quote Originally Posted by littlemissmassacre View Post
    IMHO, I think what you're doing is really going over board. They only take one picture from you right? And you want to go to court. Say you sue them, lawyers help you win. Then ask yourself, who are you going up against? How much do you think your picture they used could fetch you? Will it pay your legal fees? Will they pay for your legal fees instead? Will you even WIN the case? You said you're a student, so I'm right to assume that you don't have a stable source of income. When you lose the case, who's gonna pay for your fees? Your parents? Please, think twice. I'm a student too. Da shi hua xiao, xiao shi hua wu. Just send them an email and claim for compensation fees or ask them to remove. You think this is gonna be like some drama where the good people always win? You're threading on thin thread now, be careful. Every action has a backlash. Weigh your consequences before going ahead with your "lawsuit". Thats IMHO. But if you're gonna go ahead with trying to sue them, then GOODLUCK! Shall cheer for you as a fellow CS'er and as a fellow student! Update more, whether you win/lose. Just wanna know the outcome
    After I re-read the comment, I seem to miss out one part,

My bad, I thought I could get away without lawyers.

US copyright laws are different from Singapore
    wrong place to seek advice

these teaches us a lesson not to post our pictures online
    even if you want to post, post it with the smallest possible size xD
    Moments

To be entirely honest, engaging lawyer, suing them is just too far into the game.

Just email them and ask for clarification and perhaps if you want to, ask for compensation and if they will probably might pay you for the one off fee. But on the otherhand, they might just ignore you.

I don't know about suing, but I don't know how much you will get from this drama. First thing is that if you do not make money from your trade, it is very difficult to justify the compensation amount especialy if they did credit you.

So do yourself a favour, email them nicely and ask for more details... Often, it is better to talk to people nicely to sort things out. Try to find a win-win situation is better than win or lose case right?

But hey... Ur work is getting notice... Which isn't a bad thing right?

Relax and calm down.

For your info, I was in this situation quite a few times each year but you just need to balance the pro and cons before acting on it. Of course mostly is going for win win situation and no need to have the "sue you" mentality all the time.

Hart

Quote Originally Posted by axis90x View Post
    these teaches us a lesson not to post our pictures online
    even if you want to post, post it with the smallest possible size xD
    Well if your layout is like football365, you would need to post with thumbnail size to get pass them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    To be entirely honest, engaging lawyer, suing them is just too far into the game.

Just email them and ask for clarification and perhaps if you want to, ask for compensation and if they will probably might pay you for the one off fee. But on the otherhand, they might just ignore you.

I don't know about suing, but I don't know how much you will get from this drama. First thing is that if you do not make money from your trade, it is very difficult to justify the compensation amount especialy if they did credit you.

So do yourself a favour, email them nicely and ask for more details... Often, it is better to talk to people nicely to sort things out. Try to find a win-win situation is better than win or lose case right?

But hey... Ur work is getting notice... Which isn't a bad thing right?

Relax and calm down.

For your info, I was in this situation quite a few times each year but you just need to balance the pro and cons before acting on it. Of course mostly is going for win win situation and no need to have the "sue you" mentality all the time.

Hart
    I've got plans in my head now after an experience man told me what to do. And I believe not many people can match his experience in copyright infringement in Singapore. But yup, talking nicely is the way to go.

Blog Entries

Well if your layout is like football365, you would need to post with thumbnail size to get pass them.

I've got plans in my head now after an experience man told me what to do. And I believe not many people can match his experience in copyright infringement in Singapore. But yup, talking nicely is the way to go.
    yep. i'll suggest that u drop a message to the people who used the photo and try see if can get some compensation.

or else check the tnc of whereever u uploaded ur photo. photobucket allows ppl to use images. while u may state ur tnc when u upload, eventually its the hosting company that has teh final say i think

Our advice to you is just simply to bill them for usage and modification of the photo. Then you can choose to license the use out to them. It's good exposure for you, and you also signal to them that while your images are good enough to be used, they should not expect a free ride and instead, work to get your images on a professional basis.

Something simple like that is more advisable as a first step, I feel, and it helps you to build good relationship with an organisation who could be your next major client. Keep it civil

Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhunden View Post
    Our advice to you is just simply to bill them for usage and modification of the photo. Then you can choose to license the use out to them. It's good exposure for you, and you also signal to them that while your images are good enough to be used, they should not expect a free ride and instead, work to get your images on a professional basis.

Something simple like that is more advisable as a first step, I feel, and it helps you to build good relationship with an organisation who could be your next major client. Keep it civil
    Well said. I think that for me to just sit here and bask in the glory is as good as how free lunch photographers are spoiling the market. If all news agencies just keeps ripping off photos from the net, where will it leave those people getting paid?

Well said. I think that for me to just sit here and bask in the glory is as good as how free lunch photographers are spoiling the market. If all news agencies just keeps ripping off photos from the net, where will it leave those people getting paid?
    Support...keep quiet/inaction and you'll encourge them to keep on ripping... got to shout out...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

don't be too quick to accept that advice you received on the other forum... I've nothing against that forum or any other forum or any user in particular, but that assertion seems a bit speculative, and does not take into account fair dealing (or fair use in the American context)...

and if you were to try, as suggested, to litigate in the US, then there would be the question of whether US courts and laws would have jurisdiction in this case as you, the plaintiff, is in Singapore and the possible defendent can be claimed to be an organisation based in Hong Kong (Turner Broadcasting System Asia Pacific) even if the parent organisation is American (Time Warner)... if you litigate in the US, it'll probably bounce around due to this fact...

by the way, the image seems to have been taken down... just in case you have not actually saved the webpage in its entirety before the take-down, here's a cache of that page with the image up courtesy of Google... pdf print it or something YMMV
    Last edited by theRBK; 18th June 2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: for precision: "webpage" instead of "website"

This discussion really makes an interesting read. It's almost obvious who are the "seniors" amongst the respondents.

The most important lesson learnt here is need to be able to think clearly and calmly what to do next.

Not everything can be settled in court, so let's not get too quick to take on that route whenever we're faced with problems, whether big and small. Sometimes "no action is good action"...taking a leaf from ancient Chinese philosopher Laozi's teachings on "无为 wu wei". Yes, we may take a beating or two sometimes, but that doesn't mean hitting back is the best answer...

My work requires me to speak to lawyers occassionally...and guess what...most of them will usually NOT ask you to take legal action if there are other ways to resolve problems.

All the best to Lamergod and to everyone here.
    Last edited by LifeInMacro; 18th June 2010 at 01:52 PM.
    Family | Health | Happy-ness. . . my Flickr here

They removed the pic.. Quite a good pic I must say. Let us know when you have any update. But of cos, dun reveal on the forum anything that can hurt your case.
    Please Don't Report This Post To A Moderator

yeah can't see the image anymore, so TS can you tell us what happened?
    I shoot with my D300S . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

Quote Originally Posted by r0n1n View Post
    yeah can't see the image anymore, so TS can you tell us what happened?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiao_shin View Post
    They removed the pic.. Quite a good pic I must say. Let us know when you have any update. But of cos, dun reveal on the forum anything that can hurt your case.
    Thanks for your compliment. Even if they took down the picture, I've still got screenshot. And according to the law(US which CNNGo claim to use), even if they have taken down, it is still an offence which has been committed.

Right now, I'm writing an invoice for them. I've also been consulting a lawyer that is my brother's friend and am still finalizing how much I should charge them for the picture.

Thanks for your compliment. Even if they took down the picture, I've still got screenshot. And according to the law(US which CNNGo claim to use), even if they have taken down, it is still an offence which has been committed.

Right now, I'm writing an invoice for them. I've also been consulting a lawyer that is my brother's friend and am still finalizing how much I should charge them for the picture.
    good luck to you. I would think you will get nothing out of it.
    Fighting against the big boys will cause you more harm than just let it go or write them a note.

What more, your pictures are being published in high profile or traffic website and they have credit you. Therefore, you should be thanking them rather than sueing them cos you get more exposure now. Do you think it is easy for your picture to be able to get publish in the website again? having a good relationship is better than making enemy or cause others to blacklist you.

Unless you are a professional working for agency or some companies and these pictures are used for other purposes then you might be able to justify a case for it. However, these are personal pictures taken for own keeping and will worth much lesser.

Even if you get $100, do you think it worth all the troubles and time to settle this?

Above are just my opinion. Cos i can see that people in SGP is kicking alot of fuss with such things.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast