Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My Personal Crusade

oh...those are chinese characters? seems like sq blocks on my page. ... cannot see cannot see...

*fwaint*... have fun among yourselves if you wish, just don't create too much havoc that moderators have to step in to take action.
    Last edited by willyfoo; 22nd April 2004 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    togu, this palace got chinese reader, but i doubts poems .... wer got time if we all keep busy shooting ...

lol, so true. Let's go shooting!!

Apologies Stefen, let me paste a screen capture.

HAha.. this is funny.. One man's work to change the whole world( or forum)! Heh.

p.s; i've seen him in action already! I wonder when am i gonna be next :|

Default Serving up good English in S'pore

'SORRY ah, I donch know.'

Poor English like this commonly used phrase is the target of this year's Speak Good English Movement, which will focus on improving the English spoken by cabbies, shop assistants, waiters and others in the service industry.

The National Library Board, the Society For Reading And Literacy and several other organisations will conduct programmes for those who do not speak the language well or at all.

Citing figures from last year's Manpower Ministry Labour Market report, Acting Manpower Minister Ng Eng Hen, who launched the campaign yesterday at The Arts House at the Old Parliament House, said 64 per cent of job vacancies in the private sector are in the service industry.

And, a survey by the Singapore Tourism Board showed that there will be 4,000 openings in the hotel sector alone by year-end, indicating that the service sector will continue to grow and is poised to fuel the economy.

This is why, he said, it is important that service staff speak well. Doing so, he added, would make a good impression on visitors and a good example for Singaporeans.

Parents and teachers, too, should try and speak the language well so they can be role models for their children, he added.

Activities to promote good English will be held throughout the year. In one, women wanting to learn the language to speak to their children in it can take free classes through the Women Learning English (Wish) programme at 12 community centres.

Over the next two months, there will be talks at selected libraries on the importance of reading aloud, and on using English to communicate with one's family, among others.

Extracted from: http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sin...47027,00.html?

Since you're so free, mark compos for me lah!

togu: You seem to be a fan of Cao Zhi?

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    togu: You seem to be a fan of Cao Zhi?
    Woohoo... the palace Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon ...

* togu bows

Give the man a Tiger .... This is a hot day man, need to cool it down ...

Hmmm ... red dragon
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Hello everyone! Firstly, I would like to thank the moderators for keeping this thread open, even if only to see if I stop my actions. Secondly, to those who have in one way or another supported me, thank you, too.

I did not set out to convert people into Queen's English speakers. People who live in the UK do not even speak like that anymore. What I'm striving to do, with the help of others who feel the same way, is to make Singaporeans (at least those in this forum) aware that there is a correct way and a wrong way to speak and write English.

In Singapore, we have our own particular brand of English, Singaporean English (SE). This is often confused with Singlish. SE plays by the rules of proper English but with our own local flavour. American English (AmE) is in some ways different from British English (BrE). Likewise, Singaporean English is different from AmE and BrE. But this does not mean that SE has no rules.

It is acceptable and even inevitable that mistakes are made from time to time while speaking and writing English. However, is it acceptable when whole conversations and essays are littered with errors? Common mistakes include the incorrect usage of tenses and errors in concord. If you have a reasonably good command of English, try speaking and writing it badly. It is difficult. Therefore, those who speak and write it badly all the time really need help and guidance.

I cannot agree that it is offensive to correct someone else's English. Tetrodeís suggestion to PM the edited version to those involved is a good idea, but I will not take it up. It would defeat my purpose. Therefore, I will carry on with what I do, not in defiance of forum rules, but in keeping with my objectives. However, I understand that I may be barred from the forum as a result of my actions. If this should happen, I will bear no animosity to those responsible. But then you will have lost a supporter of this forum and closed the door in the face of one who only sought to instruct and enlighten.

It is beyond me that anyone should be so resistant to correction. Especially when this correction can only lead to a positive outcome. Are you saying that if you make a mistake nobody has any right or responsibility to show you where you went wrong and help you not to make it again?

I guess thatís all I have to say about this matter. I will carry on with my crusade. If you tell me to stop correcting you, I will and allow you to carry on making mistakes. If you do not react when I edit your posts then I will take it that you allow me to carry on. If the moderators bar me from this forum, then I will say goodbye here.

If you are so inclined, please point out my language errors. I'm sure there are!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang
    No need to Lilz

I've been eyeing this thread for awhile now and Stroma, may i perhaps gently remind you that, even with good intentions (and i'm sure you know what the road to hell is paved with), you might still offend the sensibilities of fellow forum users. Good or bad english, the perogative of this forum is to improve the standard of photography.

So, as it stands, i am asking you nicely to stop. Consider this a simple request to freeze and desist. i hope you'll understand where i am coming from.

Cheers.
    Actually, it is 'cease and desist'. You seem to be a man of virtue, so please capitalise your I's when referring to yourself. You deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    agree with wolfgang. even tho this is kopitiam, insulting CSers are definitely not the purpose of kopitiam, rite? just my opinion... i really hope the moderators will canned this thread.
    Edited:
    I agree with...
    ...insulting CSers is definitely...
    ...I really hope the moderators will can this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by gadrian
    But I thought this is "kopitiam".. you know coffee shop talk. A place where we can talk anything.. as long as it is within the sosial and legal limit.

Then if the perogative of this forum is merely to improve the standard of photography.. this section called kopitiam should be abolished. Seriously..

You give someone a playground to play nonsense that is what is happening. If the starter of this thread actually goes around and starts editing everyone's thread in other parts of this forum.. then I think action needs to be taken.. but it he stay within the confines of kopitiam and this thread.. heck.. I will go along for the ride.

Lighten up man.. have a cuppa.. the mornings to early to be getting grouchy.
    Edited:
    ...if the prerogative...
    ...but if he stays within...
    ...the morning's too early...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang
    Oh no, i am far far from grouchy but honestly, but waking up multi PMs regarding this thread and having complaints directed at me isn't something i particularly enjoy.

Besides, you made the point yourself. This place is for people to talk about issues, not for correcting or pointing out deficiencies in the language skills of others. This isn't a language school. Nobody has requested for his "services".

And yes, you will go along for the ride. But for the people who felt offended or objected to his postings, what am i to do? Tell them that you are enjoying the ride so too bad? I would request that you remember that there are other forum users whose needs are to be catered to besides your own.

And please understand the term "prerogative" when I talk about this forum and photography. While this section is made for bantering and some off photography topics, nobody said this was a carte blanche situation for one and all to go around offending sensibilities, posting their rants and be really anal-retentive and start harping on other's way of expressing themselves in the English language.

I hope you can understand where i am coming from.

Good Day.
    Edited:

(Ok, this is not an edit. Just my reply.)

"Nobody has requested for his "services". " - some public services were not requested for, but they are still carried out. When they are not carried out, people will make noise.

"posting their rants and be really anal-retentive and start harping on other's way of expressing themselves in the English language." - Sorry, was I ranting? I didn't mean to. And as far as memory serves, this is the first time I've been called an anal-retentive. Maybe the Minister for Education would like to rename all teachers as Anal-retentives and call September 1 as Anal-retentives' Day.

[QUOTE=Darren]Nightbreed,

Laudable though your intentions are, we unfortunately have to put a stop to this before the postings degenerate into a slinging, slanging match of members defending
    1) their right to post without undue judgement or harassment from others (of which your "crusade" barely falls into)QUOTE]

Taken at face value, your sentence would mean that I have not done anything wrong, since my crusade 'barely falls' into any form of error.

Aiyah, waste so much bandwidth and storage space leh but hey I had a good laugh over all this.

BTW moderators this place should not be called Kopitiam anymore.
    It should be renamed Coffee House.
    More high class and correct leh.

Quote Originally Posted by goering
    Different people have differernt levels of tolerance. I personally do not find it fun. There are no shortage of ways of having fun

I will continue to do so in the light of any criticism, ostracism and threats of physical violence. .... I will persist until the day you pry my cold, dead fingers from the computer keyboard.

The above statement alone is an invitation to flames. I therefore take a dim view of what nightbreed has been doing. It smells more like a trolling attempt- could this be another experiment to see how tolerant CS'ers are?

I would like the moderators/admins to lock this thread
    Some people will take offense with your nick. Unless you are REALLY called 'goering' and are not referring to Hermann Goering, a Nazi.

http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/Holocaust/goering.html

And humour seems to elude you. Imagine a moderator calling ME anal-retentive...

Sorry, this should've been PM'ed, huh?

No lar, Good speaking and writing English kopitam ...
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Aiyah, waste so much bandwidth and storage space leh but hey I had a good laugh over all this.

BTW moderators this place should not be called Kopitiam anymore.
    It should be renamed Coffee House.
    More high class and correct leh.
    No no! I disagree! 'Kopitiam' retains the local flavour. Should be kept!

Ah, than Singlish is also local flavour what, so we will keep it as it is lah.
    As long as people can understand one another it is OK, does not matter Singlish or Queenlish also can.

Quote Originally Posted by nightbreed
    No no! I disagree! 'Kopitiam' retains the local flavour. Should be kept!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast