Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 124

Thread: My Personal Crusade

  1. #21

    Default

    Why don't you quit being a nuisance and MYOB?

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightbreed
    I am SO sorry to have to edit your post, Gadrian, but those of us who are fighting the good fight must be ourselves as pure as we can be. And whether it be American or British spelling, there is still the CORRECT forms of spelling.

    Edited:
    ...of the decapitation of the English language...
    ...known to Mankind...
    ...not even pure breed. It is an assimilation...
    ...to the Roman and even Nordic languages, with influences by Cornish and Welsh...
    ...The proper usage of English therefore comes into question.
    ...Is what we hear on the television...
    ...By what standard do you judge...
    ...Which is proper and which is accurate?
    ...sacreligious corruption...
    ...sleepless nights and many many cups...

    Thank you.
    ...of the decapitation of the English language... - I will use a spell-checker the next time.
    ...known to Mankind...
    ...not even pure breed. It is an assimilation...
    ...to the Roman and even Nordic languages, with influences by Cornish and Welsh... - there is nothing wrong in the original spate of Cornish and Welsh. the preceeding statement already qualifies influences.
    ...The proper usage of English therefore comes into question. - It was meant as a question.. not as a statement. You often need to understand the objective of the sentence before saying if it is right or wrong.

    ...Is what we hear on the television...
    ...By what standard do you judge... - sorry, that was a typing error.
    ...Which is proper and which is accurate?
    ...sacreligious corruption... -> please check your dictionary.. orginal spelling is correct.
    ...sleepless nights and many many cups... the comma was meant as a stress point. removing it adds less emphasis on sleepness nights.

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightbreed
    I am embarking on a Crusade. A Crusade to rid badly written and punctuated English in any forum that I am registered in. By no means am I the most qualified person to do this. I am not even an authority on the Language. But I know bad English when I come across it. And this is the main reason for my Crusade.
    Edited:
    I am embarking on a Crusade to rid every forum in which I have registered of badly-written and badly-punctuated English. Although I am neither the most qualified person nor an authority on the English language to do this, I recognise bad English when I see it. And this is the main reason for my Crusade.

    I will continue to do so in the light of any criticism, ostracism and threats of physical violence. I will endeavour to bring light to this Dark Age of English Language Usage, where English is so badly mangled by careless, indifferent use of grammar, spelling and punctuation. I will persist until the day you pry my cold, dead fingers from the computer keyboard.
    Edited:
    I will continue to do so despite any criticism, ostracism or threats of physical violence directed at me. I will endeavour to enlighten this "Dark Age of English Language Usage". I will persist until the day you pry my cold, dead fingers from the computer keyboard.

    How will I do this? I will re-write any examples of bad English I come across and re-post it again in its corrected form. I may not be able to do so for each and every post, but I will try. I am neither omnipresent nor omniscient.
    Edited:
    How will I do this? I will re-write any text that is written in bad English and re-post the corrected version in the forum. I may not be able to correct every post, but I will try. I am neither omnipresent or omniscient.

    I am doing this because of the blatant abuse of the Language in its everyday form, especially in local forums. This has spread its insidious influence into everyday writing practices.

    So take this how you will. Here I make my stand. And I urge the like-minded to take up arms and join me!
    Edited:
    I am doing this because the blatant and daily abuse of the English language, especially in the local internet forums, has spread its insidious influence into the writing of English in everyday and commonplace situations.

    So, take this message in whatever way you like. I make my stand here, and I urge like-minded people to take up arms and join me!
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    West side of S'pore
    Posts
    5,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mervlam
    Why don't you quit being a nuisance and MYOB?
    What is a MYOB?

    Hey...since we are talking abt "crusades"...how about a crusade against acronyms? For e.g "My 20 MP DSLR's DOF using the WA lens with i-TTL flash with CLS is better than your P&S cam with TCs with its small FOV and dim EVF." Show that to any layman and chances are he'll end up scratching his head.

    So the corrected version would be, "My 20 Mega Pixel Digital Single lens Reflex camera 's Depth of Field using the Wide Angle lens with intelligent Through The Lens flash with Creative Lighting System is better than your Point & Shoot cam with Tele Converters with its small Field of View and dim Electronic Viewfinder".

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garion
    What is a MYOB?

    Hey...since we are talking abt "crusades"...how about a crusade against acronyms? For e.g "My 20 MP DSLR's DOF using the WA lens with i-TTL flash with CLS is better than your P&S cam with TCs with its small FOV and dim EVF." Show that to any layman and chances are he'll end up scratching his head.

    So the corrected version would be, "My 20 Mega Pixel Digital Single lens Reflex camera 's Depth of Field using the Wide Angle lens with intelligent Through The Lens flash with Creative Lighting System is better than your Point & Shoot cam with Tele Converters with its small Field of View and dim Electronic Viewfinder".
    MYOB = mind your own business!!!
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  6. #26

    Default

    MYOB = Mind Your Own Business

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Town of Queens doing PORT-9YOU
    Posts
    12,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garion
    So the corrected version would be, "My 20 Mega Pixel Digital Single lens Reflex camera 's Depth of Field using the Wide Angle lens with intelligent Through The Lens flash with Creative Lighting System is better than your Point & Shoot cam with Tele Converters with its small Field of View and dim Electronic Viewfinder".
    Edited:

    "My 20-megapixel digital single-lens reflex camera's depth of field, using the wide-angle lens with intelligent "Through The Lens" flash and "Creative Lighting System" is better than your Point-and-Shoot camera with tele-converters, dim electronic viewfinder, and its small field of view.

    PS: this paragraph doesn't make sense, how to compare wide with tele?

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    hErE lAh
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Nightbreed

    I suggest that you stop being a nuisance before somebody reports your
    post(s) to the moderators for "public harassment".
    Last edited by lavenderlilz; 21st April 2004 at 02:31 PM.

  9. #29

    Default

    English Schmenglish.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Behind the viewfinder...
    Posts
    5,851

    Default

    Yawnzzzz.......

  11. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightbreed
    I am embarking on a Crusade. A Crusade to rid badly written and punctuated English in any forum that I am registered in. By no means am I the most qualified person to do this. I am not even an authority on the Language. But I know bad English when I come across it. And this is the main reason for my Crusade.

    I will continue to do so in the light of any criticism, ostracism and threats of physical violence. I will endeavour to bring light to this Dark Age of English Language Usage, where English is so badly mangled by careless, indifferent use of grammar, spelling and punctuation. I will persist until the day you pry my cold, dead fingers from the computer keyboard.

    How will I do this? I will re-write any examples of bad English I come across and re-post it again in its corrected form. I may not be able to do so for each and every post, but I will try. I am neither omnipresent nor omniscient.

    I am doing this because of the blatant abuse of the Language in its everyday form, especially in local forums. This has spread its insidious influence into everyday writing practices.

    So take this how you will. Here I make my stand. And I urge the like-minded to take up arms and join me!
    Lighten up pple
    From what he wrote, this is clearly just some bo liao jokes that he thought up, maybe because of too much free time. No harm intended, no personal attack and peppered with humour here and there.
    If you feel offended by him correcting your post or whatsoever, just PM him not to do that again. from past postings he seems to be a nice and reasonable person and all. Let's keep CS a warm and friendly place yah

    Cheers

  12. #32

    Default

    my snglish vary powderful, dun prey prey ..
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the void.
    Posts
    1,323

    Default

    Please do not misuse the word "Crusade". It is really a very politically incorrect and discriminating term.

  14. #34
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,867
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    nightbreed, you as a relative newbie, IMHO, pls learn to keep your head down and learn more abt the rules of posting. posting demeaning comments of CSers' use of the English language will only invite flaming and condemnation from the seniors and pros out there.

    i'm a relative newbie, like you. i spent a lot of time observing how to seniors posted b4 even venturing to make my 1st post. so, do learn and not to make too much "enemies" out there? else you might not have too many CSers who are willing to give constructive comments to your pics or to be your shoot-buddy.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  15. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic
    Please do not misuse the word "Crusade". It is really a very politically incorrect and discriminating term.
    I dont think it is.. used in a certain context it can mean more of a personal challenge then other things.. but with more impact to its outcome. I think we are all being too sensitive here..

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Redhill
    Posts
    1,044

    Default

    Well, I don't really want to care too much about what others write, but I was taught good English (not exactly Queen's English, but good enough) and I intend to use that, even in SMS.

    It is strange that Nightbreed is considered a nuisance when he is pointing out something that is so relevant, prevalent and true, but we allow endless debates of film vs. digital, Canon vs. Nikon, etc.

  17. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightbreed
    I am embarking on a Crusade. A Crusade to rid badly written and punctuated English in any forum that I am registered in. By no means am I the most qualified person to do this. I am not even an authority on the Language. But I know bad English when I come across it. And this is the main reason for my Crusade.

    I will continue to do so in the light of any criticism, ostracism and threats of physical violence. I will endeavour to bring light to this Dark Age of English Language Usage, where English is so badly mangled by careless, indifferent use of grammar, spelling and punctuation. I will persist until the day you pry my cold, dead fingers from the computer keyboard.

    How will I do this? I will re-write any examples of bad English I come across and re-post it again in its corrected form. I may not be able to do so for each and every post, but I will try. I am neither omnipresent nor omniscient.

    I am doing this because of the blatant abuse of the Language in its everyday form, especially in local forums. This has spread its insidious influence into everyday writing practices.

    So take this how you will. Here I make my stand. And I urge the like-minded to take up arms and join me!

    What a load of bollocks...

  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    In Paradise
    Posts
    546

    Default

    nightbreed.... you IS rocks!!

  19. #39
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default

    If we spend time learn English, where we find time taking photos hah?

    I thank if you correct me.

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    on the roads out there
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Is it a really big deal of not writing "proper" english on a forum?
    I think it helps make the discussions more friendly and lively.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •