Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Flash Flood In Orchard Road!

Default Re: Flash Flood In Orchard Road!

Quote Originally Posted by xhui View Post
    But PUB did say their frequency of checking of the drains and canals for blockage is 3 months.. Guess it's a combination of the sudden high amount of water rushing in (within a short span of interval) and the debris collecting. Was almost a scene waiting to happen. Now everyone's asking who is going to pay.
    if i'm not mistaken, it was 6 months previously. now they are upping it to 3 months interval...

again... if what La Fontaine mentioned is true, then wouldn't the sudden rush of water have swept away whatever debris (small in size) that have been accumulated?
    Last edited by mohgui; 18th June 2010 at 03:54 PM.
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    if i'm not mistaken, it was 6 months previously. now they are upping it to 3 months interval...
    But on hindsight, if these "debris" were collected "naturally", this incidences can happen anywhere (that is it can be proven that the same amount of rainfall measured for other parts of singapore is equivalent).

But they did not, (other then the regulars, BT, cluny, stevens rd, etc).
    Licence to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    this is the most logical reason the authorities could put the blame on and the average joes will find it convincing enough. so they will just brush it off as someone didn't do a good job in cleaning the drains.

but for the more advanced thinker... there could be some other reasons and the choked drain explanation is just a cover up. a conspiracy theory perhaps?
    Drains and sewers are supposed to be Self Cleaning. Unless, some extra-ordinary thing happened that caused the choke.

Well, PUB said that they are gonna to inspect more frequently, not cleaning more frequently.

Conspiracy? Well, I do not know the answer. Need CSI help la.
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

Very soon, we will see PUB advertise for 18 vacancies of Longkang inspectors.

They will be carrying dSLR that can shoot at very high ISO and muz b attached with a very powderful flash. Dunno if they can geotag the pic.

They will go back to the office and report to Mr Yap and said, "It's all clear, Sir."
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

Quote Originally Posted by La Fontaine View Post
    Very soon, we will see PUB advertise for 18 vacancies of Longkang inspectors.

They will be carrying dSLR that can shoot at very high ISO and muz b attached with a very powderful flash. Dunno if they can geotag the pic.

They will go back to the office and report to Mr Yap and said, "It's all clear, Sir."
    and you'll soon need to appease those people sweating their finances out at the "Pay your taxes yet" thread.
    Licence to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by La Fontaine View Post
    Drains and sewers are supposed to be Self Cleaning. Unless, some extra-ordinary thing happened that caused the choke.

Well, PUB said that they are gonna to inspect more frequently, not cleaning more frequently.

Conspiracy? Well, I do not know the answer. Need CSI help la.
    There are no such thing as self-cleaning canal. The PUB outsource the cleaning to the cheapest contractors that they can find.

When you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Last time I remember seeing news report where the cleaner dump the rubbish into drain so that they don't have to walk long distance to rubbish bin.
    see link
    http://forums.sgclub.com/singapore/c...ish_27046.html

Quote Originally Posted by DrSpock View Post
    Don't worry lah, By then NASA/Taikonaut/Cosmonaut/Nipponaut/Euronaut/Indianaut will join forces to fly Friendship 1 & 2 to send a electron bomb to distintegrate Apophis so better start training the drillers now!
    LOL... something like the 'red matter' is even better....

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    "once in every 50 years" is a term to describe the severity and probability of the flood. It does not literaly means this kind of flood will happen once in exactly every 50 years apart.
    the skies will open and the rains will pour, because they looked at their watch and thought "oh, it's 50 years again!"

Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go View Post
    There are no such thing as self-cleaning canal. The PUB outsource the cleaning to the cheapest contractors that they can find.

When you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Last time I remember seeing news report where the cleaner dump the rubbish into drain so that they don't have to walk long distance to rubbish bin.
    see link
    http://forums.sgclub.com/singapore/c...ish_27046.html
    Ya, saw so many roadside sweepers just simply sweep all those dry leaves into the drain. Many people still having the mindset that drain is a rubbish bin.

I think this flooding in orchard road, the prime shopping district, is totally unacceptable. A huge embarrassment to Singapore. The relevant authorities should be held responsible for this event and not an act of god, and the victims should be compensated accordingly.
    HX300/ EPL6/ EOS60D/ 17-55mmF2.8IS/ 100mmF2.8Macro/ 135mmF2L/ 70-200mmF4LIS/ 300mmF4LIS

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Ya, saw so many roadside sweepers just simply sweep all those dry leaves into the drain. Many people still having the mindset that drain is a rubbish bin.
    Because cleaners from third world countries, where drain is rubbish bin and sewage.
    Naturally, they will sweep all rubbish into drain.

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPoP View Post
    I think this flooding in orchard road, the prime shopping district, is totally unacceptable. A huge embarrassment to Singapore. The relevant authorities should be held responsible for this event and not an act of god, and the victims should be compensated accordingly.
    I think this is the more embarrass thing to happen during the "GREAT" SG sales
    If this happen in YOG, all Singaporean will need to find a hole and hide their faces

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go View Post
    Because cleaners from third world countries, where drain is rubbish bin and sewage.
    Naturally, they will sweep all rubbish into drain.
    i dunno abt u. but i kinda find it discriminating. perhaps u could say they didnt do a good job. or something else. but 3rd world? it just sounds like ur looking down on them. perhaps i'm reading too much or wad. but i shudder at the use of 3rd world sorry if i sound like a retard

anyways. it seems like the lochness monster has moved and is now living in our canals. and he accidently blocked the pipes with his tail

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456