Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crop factor in dx

Default Crop factor in dx

Does the tokina 11-16 dx lens is already cropped for medium format dslr or its as it is? How about the other nikon dx lenses? Google doesn't really give me anything...or I'm searching for in the wrong way.

Something like

11x1.5 crop factor=16.5
    12x1.5 crop factor=18
    16x1.5 crop factor=24

Default Re: Crop factor in dx

You need to multiply with 1.5 as per your calculation. The DX lens is only indicates that it worked on DX camera. It is not big enough for FF camera.

The term you used is incorrect. DX format refers to cameras which have a smaller sensor (or also known as "cropped"). Medium format is a different format altogether. All lenses are labelled with reference to commonly known "full frame" standard. So you have to multiply the focal lengths by 1.5, 1.6 or even 2, depending on the camera(brand) in question.

Quote Originally Posted by garbled View Post
    Does the tokina 11-16 dx lens is already cropped for medium format dslr or its as it is? How about the other nikon dx lenses? Google doesn't really give me anything...or I'm searching for in the wrong way.

Something like

11x1.5 crop factor=16.5
    12x1.5 crop factor=18
    16x1.5 crop factor=24
    I checked your post history and some of them you've been advising people like an expert in photography... Now you come back and ask this sort of question??
    I'm very puzzled...
    Exploring! :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I checked your post history and some of them you've been advising people like an expert in photography... Now you come back and ask this sort of question??
    I'm very puzzled...
    LOL Bro, don't be so direct leh... wait people

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Hannor.. I also scared scared now. After I dish out "advise" then later ask this kinda of question... *can see ZCA shake head*

Keke. Kidding ya. ZCA no angry, k?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Hannor.. I also scared scared now. After I dish out "advise" then later ask this kinda of question... *can see ZCA shake head*

No matter what, you are still going to give that talk about perspective distortions at the coming outing at Helix right?

Mai Siam.

ya lar bro ZCA..
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post

No matter what, you are still going to give that talk about perspective distortions at the coming outing at Helix right?

Mai Siam.
    Yah..bernard.. u better do a gd job on 26 Jun.. make it a lengthy one.. say 15 mins ok.. me, DD123 and ZCA will be watching closely *give pressure*
    My Flickr|My Son

Something like

11x1.5 crop factor=16.5
    12x1.5 crop factor=18
    16x1.5 crop factor=24
    bro, not medium format man.. thats would be somewhat up to 36mm x 48 mm, which the 1.5X will not apply (its not meant to anyway). Tokina 11-16 is never designed for FX usage, much less Medium Format.

As what Kit has mentioned, DX refers to a smaller sensor size and DX lenses are lenses which manufactured to only cover the smaller sensor of it. DX lenses will work properly on FX cameras too but at the expense of major dark corners (vignetting)
    Are u referring to FX instead? Which is actually 36mm X 24mm in 135 film.

Hope this clarfies man
    My Flickr|My Son

Maybe I'm not being too clear about my question.

What I meant is, since its a dx lens am I getting the full "11-16" in a dx camera?

OOoh,,,lastly,,,Zerocoolastra, you're digging my old post? I'm apalled and feeling creepy at the same time.

No. Since your camera have a crop factor of 1.5x, 11-16 will become 16.5-24 in 35mm format (aka full format).

HTH.
    Nikon D90 | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by zapper10 View Post
    You need to multiply with 1.5 as per your calculation. The DX lens is only indicates that it worked on DX camera. It is not big enough for FF camera.

aaah this one, this is the one....thanks all for the clarification....

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I'm very puzzled...
    Har ya bro...TS ask, just reply lol. Otherwise don't shoot him leh. Sometimes expert also got bad hair days right?
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

What I meant is, since its a dx lens am I getting the full "11-16" in a dx camera?
    No, because of the DX sensor, the 11-16 will only be 16.5-24mm equivalent. The DX lens specification just means that the lens was designed primarily to be used on crop sensor bodies.

*wow.. didn't know so many people replied in the time I was sending this out*
    Last edited by Scoop; 16th June 2010 at 02:15 PM.

OOoh,,,lastly,,,Zerocoolastra, you're digging my old post? I'm apalled and feeling creepy at the same time.
    You are still getting the full 11-16. What you are not getting is the same DOF.

And ya...I thought you are the expert based on your past postings.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    You are still getting the full 11-16. What you are not getting is the same DOF.

And ya...I thought you are the expert based on your past postings.

DOF?? Did you mean to say field of view (FOV)??

stalker you! ahaha
    Last edited by garbled; 16th June 2010 at 02:36 PM.

curious mah.... I see you have 100+ post count, so I kaypoh kaypoh check your post history...

Found out you sold D90 and bought D700... and you were telling people "this lens is DX.... that lens is FX...." and so on and so forth...
    So now you come and ask if 11-16DX is really 11-16, so i'm scratching my head here...

11-16mm is the true focal length of the lens asembly inside the Tokina lens. What most people are trying to compare is Field of View (FOV), otherwise ___mm doesn't really make much sense.
    For whatever reason, 35mm film (or FX/FF in DSLR terms) was taken as the reference... hence the the crop factor of 1.5x from DX to FX to get the same FOV.

Hence, 11mm on DX and 16.5mm on FX should yield almost exactly the same field of view when you snap and compare them side-by-side on a monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    bro, not medium format man.. thats would be somewhat up to 36mm x 48 mm, which the 1.5X will not apply (its not meant to anyway). Tokina 11-16 is never designed for FX usage, much less Medium Format.

As what Kit has mentioned, DX refers to a smaller sensor size and DX lenses are lenses which manufactured to only cover the smaller sensor of it. DX lenses will work properly on FX cameras too but at the expense of major dark corners (vignetting)
    Are u referring to FX instead? Which is actually 36mm X 24mm in 135 film.

Hope this clarfies man
    probably confusion with the naming... thought FX/FF was referred to as 'full-format' or whatever, so DX should be medium format... hehehehe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast