Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: [ZerocoolAstra] - makan + food photography outing, 15 June (tues) - Show ur pics here

Default Re: [ZerocoolAstra] - makan + food photography outing, 15 June (tues) - Show ur pics

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Good attempt!

I do think the flash in front (was it your onboard?) was a bit too strong. It casts a very hard shadow of the dish.

Thanks for the encouragement.. will take note of that.. Ya, I was using my onboard flash

Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Yup agreed with bro ZCA ur inbuilt flash did more harm than good, iszan, u did triggered our strobes with cls right? Normal if I have to use on board as comm, I will set to M power 1/128..

I felt gd attempt aso
    Thanks bro, well yes I set it to Group A Channel 1.. For the flash, I set it to M mode, 1/250 Exp -1.3.. For such instant, do I actually try to reduce the strength of the onboard flash? Like 1/1.3 or lower?
    "If ur pictures aren't gd enough, u're just not close enough..." | Flickr

Default Re: [ZerocoolAstra] - makan + food photography outing, 15 June (tues) - Show ur pics

Quote Originally Posted by iszan View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement.. will take note of that.. Ya, I was using my onboard flash

Thanks bro, well yes I set it to Group A Channel 1.. For the flash, I set it to M mode, 1/250 Exp -1.3.. For such instant, do I actually try to reduce the strength of the onboard flash? Like 1/1.3 or lower?
    ok I'm not too knowledgeable about this area, but I THINK if you set the onboard to M mode, dialling in negative flash EV does nothing.
    I think trying to modify the light somehow, by putting tissue paper, or changing the angle, would have done the trick.
    Exploring! :)

ok I'm not too knowledgeable about this area, but I THINK if you set the onboard to M mode, dialling in negative flash EV does nothing.
    I think trying to modify the light somehow, by putting tissue paper, or changing the angle, would have done the trick.
    Ok can next time, will try something like different.. or if not get NNB's Nikon SG-31R IR panel.. well learn something new today, cos I m rather new to flash photography, as I do not use flash most of the time..
    "If ur pictures aren't gd enough, u're just not close enough..." | Flickr

OMG! I just realised how much i have missed this dish! Fantastic photos you guys!

8. Hot Plate Tofu

Thats all for me~ As mentioned to Bro ZCA, i only managed to take 7 dishes with the last 4 in a rush.. *Actually i understand where ZCA coming from , Food getting cold mah and worried we guys hungry also*

I have some more shots of each dishes from different angle, will post if i have the time..
    Bros, do comment on the WB, exposure, presentation and such..

I took JPEG + RAW.. So anything can be easily corrected. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by iszan View Post

No Bro, actually all u need to do is to set to minimum power (full manual) for onboard and play ard with TTL with the rest of the groups compensating accordingly..
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Yup, if not, u can consider adding the below instead of the dedicated nikon flash cover, which diffuse the light fairly gd enough to affect ur overall flash expoeure.

Which is easily accessible and relatively cheap from mass sales. We called it pop up flash diffuser, GF called it the puffer
    My Flickr|My Son

Yup, if not, u can consider adding the below instead of the dedicated nikon flash cover, which diffuse the light fairly gd enough to affect ur overall flash expoeure.

Which is easily accessible and relatively cheap from mass sales. We called it pop up flash diffuser, GF called it the puffer
    tissue paper tie 2 rounds... boleh!
    Muahahahahaha

No Bro, actually all u need to do is to set to minimum power (full manual) for onboard and play ard with TTL with the rest of the groups compensating accordingly..
    hmm. if i'm not wrong. i think u can set the on-camera flash to "-" in the setting.
    "The flash will still goes off but it will not have any effect on the photo? **think i read it somewhere in CS

anyway. GREAT PHOTOS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaowei View Post
    hmm. if i'm not wrong. i think u can set the on-camera flash to "-" in the setting.
    "The flash will still goes off but it will not have any effect on the photo? **think i read it somewhere in CS

anyway. GREAT PHOTOS!!
    Oh, I tried, still there's flash output from the on board man... Hee..

Anyway tks for ur comments! ( on behalf of the rest)
    My Flickr|My Son

Quote Originally Posted by Gaowei View Post

anyway. GREAT PHOTOS!!
    I tried before, photographing myself in the mirror, with the on-board set to commander mode and '--'... I could barely see myself, but the output is not totally zero.
    So it depends how demanding you are (and NNB is VERY demanding of his equipment! ). For me I'm cool with the minimal output.

So it depends how demanding you are (and NNB is VERY demanding of his equipment! ). For me I'm cool with the minimal output.
    muhhaaa..got meh~?!?
    My Flickr|My Son

Quote Originally Posted by BikerPh0t0z View Post

Wow, this one looks really yummy.

Hi, here are some of my humble shots. Worked on some contrast and saturation on pp.

Somehow these image look less saturated after I upload them to flickr, not sure why.
    Last edited by jellyfishy; 19th June 2010 at 11:52 PM.

jellyfishy... Thanks for the photos!

The colours and exposure look good to my noob eyes... I find the overall photo 'yummy'. There are some critique I would like to offer though:

1) The depth of field is a bit too thin in my opinion
    2) The low angle makes it hard to see more of the dish
    ---> Shooting from a slightly higher angle and more downward would sort of cure both 'problems', since more of the dish would be in the same focal plane as well.
    cheers!

omg, its past my dinner time n Im looking at this thread tat made me lagi hungry
    U guys really did a great job by makin me drool with all e food pix!!

jellyfishy... Thanks for the photos!

The colours and exposure look good to my noob eyes... I find the overall photo 'yummy'. There are some critique I would like to offer though:

1) The depth of field is a bit too thin in my opinion
    2) The low angle makes it hard to see more of the dish
    ---> Shooting from a slightly higher angle and more downward would sort of cure both 'problems', since more of the dish would be in the same focal plane as well.
    cheers!
    Thx ZCA. I always like my food shots to have shallow DOF as that will make the food the centre of attention. Maybe this doesn't work so well when a dish doesnt have a distintive point of attention.

Quote Originally Posted by jellyfishy View Post
    Thx ZCA. I always like my food shots to have shallow DOF as that will make the food the centre of attention. Maybe this doesn't work so well when a dish doesnt have a distintive point of attention.
    I think mostly the DOF was all right, except the beef on the hot plate (last photo) the DOF was too thin in my opinion.
    If you ever photograph food professionally next time, must ask the client whether they would like to have part of the dish OOF
    some clients may not...

wow. good stuff. never knew you guys were organising such an outing!

include me the next time please!

I think mostly the DOF was all right, except the beef on the hot plate (last photo) the DOF was too thin in my opinion.
    If you ever photograph food professionally next time, must ask the client whether they would like to have part of the dish OOF
    some clients may not...
    Thx for the advice bro

Quote Originally Posted by badtzdiana View Post
    omg, its past my dinner time n Im looking at this thread tat made me lagi hungry
    U guys really did a great job by makin me drool with all e food pix!!

I think that's the most important measure of a good food photo? (at least for our standard anyway)...

If you see the photo and drool, it's a good photo!
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 20th June 2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: added quote

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast