Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Suzhou & Shanghai

  1. #1
    Member CharlesPhotography78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    256

    Default Suzhou & Shanghai

    Hi All, need some advise for my coming business trip to Suzhou and Shanghai. Will be there for 9 days and i think i need a TOUR GUIDE. Anybody got lobang for tour guide there? Thank you in advance!
    Stay foolish, Stay Hungry - STEVE JOBS
    i love to shoot!! V3 - the animation people

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,431

    Default Re: Suzhou & Shanghai

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPhotography78 View Post
    Hi All, need some advise for my coming business trip to Suzhou and Shanghai. Will be there for 9 days and i think i need a TOUR GUIDE. Anybody got lobang for tour guide there? Thank you in advance!
    Hmm. you probably can look for some paid translators there. Anyway it shld be easy to get around. You may want to check out the flickr group 'Shanghai Flickr Meetup' etc.
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Suzhou & Shanghai

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPhotography78 View Post
    Hi All, need some advise for my coming business trip to Suzhou and Shanghai. Will be there for 9 days and i think i need a TOUR GUIDE. Anybody got lobang for tour guide there? Thank you in advance!
    Since you are on business trip, how many days you have for actual sightseeing? Normally, the hotels in Shanghai or Suzhou should have travel agency to help you. Go for the better 4-5 star hotels.

    Suzhou is abt 1hr from Shanghai if you take the "Dong Che Zu"动车组train. From there you can take a taxi to your hotel and ask the hotel beforehand to provide you a guided tour around Suzhou.
    D200_AF-S 70-200 F2.8G VR_Tokina 12-24mm F4_TC-17E II

  4. #4

    Default Re: Suzhou & Shanghai

    BTW, Zhouzhuang seems to be a go sightseeing place as according to my China colleague's recommendation around Suzhou.

    http://www.travelchinaguide.com/attr...zhouzhuang.htm
    D200_AF-S 70-200 F2.8G VR_Tokina 12-24mm F4_TC-17E II

  5. #5
    Member CharlesPhotography78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    256

    Default Re: Suzhou & Shanghai

    Quote Originally Posted by JacePhoto View Post
    Hmm. you probably can look for some paid translators there. Anyway it shld be easy to get around. You may want to check out the flickr group 'Shanghai Flickr Meetup' etc.
    Thanks dude!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fumio View Post
    Since you are on business trip, how many days you have for actual sightseeing? Normally, the hotels in Shanghai or Suzhou should have travel agency to help you. Go for the better 4-5 star hotels.

    Suzhou is abt 1hr from Shanghai if you take the "Dong Che Zu"动车组train. From there you can take a taxi to your hotel and ask the hotel beforehand to provide you a guided tour around Suzhou.
    Work 3-4 day and 5-6 days R&R. Noted and will check when i reach there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fumio View Post
    BTW, Zhouzhuang seems to be a go sightseeing place as according to my China colleague's recommendation around Suzhou.

    http://www.travelchinaguide.com/attr...zhouzhuang.htm
    Thanks DUDE!
    Stay foolish, Stay Hungry - STEVE JOBS
    i love to shoot!! V3 - the animation people

  6. #6

    Default Re: Suzhou & Shanghai

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPhotography78 View Post
    Hi All, need some advise for my coming business trip to Suzhou and Shanghai. Will be there for 9 days and i think i need a TOUR GUIDE. Anybody got lobang for tour guide there? Thank you in advance!
    Hi TS,

    If you can read and speak Chinese, I would suggest you go by yourself.
    If you can't, you can ask for your hotel's help. They will recommend suitable day tour.

    Jinjiang (http://www.jjtravel.com/) is one of the good tour provider and expensive.

    It is possible to do Suzhou in a day tour, if you not particular.
    However, for photography, I would always like to do it myself.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Jurong
    Posts
    524

    Default Re: Suzhou & Shanghai

    TS

    If you should still have not good option when you are there, PM me. Maybe I can give you some ideas where to go and shoot.

    I travel there every month.

    Cheers

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    the little red dot
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Suzhou & Shanghai

    i went Suzhou last dec but did not join any tour when I was there. However, what i know is that when you reached Suzhou railway station, you will be approached by many tour agents. Perhaps you could grab a deal there? But I do not know how safe it is or if it's cheaper to just hire a guide there. In addition, there's many guides stationed at the tourism sites; and when you look touristy enough, they will just come to you, asking if you need a guide to do some explanation etc.

    To add on, I skipped Zhouzhuang and visited Tongli instead as it is less crowded

    Pretty much enjoyed my stay there. It's as if I've travelled back into the old China!

    HAVE FUN!
    thesimpletonFlickr |canon/佳能|

  9. #9
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Suzhou & Shanghai

    Shanghai is quite simple and very foreigner friendly. Every hotel will be able to give you a city map with local tourist spots. And the subway all have english and all have good maps.

    If you want to wander out of town to nearby attractions, go to this government run tour agency.

    Chinese site:
    http://www.chinassbc.com/

    English site:
    http://www.chinassbc.com/english/

    Chinese site is better. They have a lot of information. You can hire tour guides if you really need (I think is not necessary). But the best things they offer are local tour packages, and tons of day trips to the nearby attractions.

    If you need more info, you should visit the following thread. I've already covered a lot of ground in there, including camera shopping advice in Shanghai.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...light=Shanghai

  10. #10
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Suzhou & Shanghai

    Quote Originally Posted by Fumio View Post
    BTW, Zhouzhuang seems to be a go sightseeing place as according to my China colleague's recommendation around Suzhou.

    http://www.travelchinaguide.com/attr...zhouzhuang.htm
    It is actually easier to get to Zhouzhuang from shanghai than from Suzhou. Shanghai offers complete package day trips to and from Zhouzhuang on a daily basis, and very cheap too. See the first 2 links in my post above.'

    Here are some info about Zhouzhuang, and of course my pictures taken in zhouzhuang during winter a while back. Enjoy.
    http://darthbertz.blogspot.com/2009/...r-morning.html
    Last edited by daredevil123; 17th June 2010 at 08:12 PM.

  11. #11
    Member CharlesPhotography78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    256

    Default Re: Suzhou & Shanghai

    Quote Originally Posted by swhyge View Post
    TS

    If you should still have not good option when you are there, PM me. Maybe I can give you some ideas where to go and shoot.

    I travel there every month.

    Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by simpleton View Post
    i went Suzhou last dec but did not join any tour when I was there. However, what i know is that when you reached Suzhou railway station, you will be approached by many tour agents. Perhaps you could grab a deal there? But I do not know how safe it is or if it's cheaper to just hire a guide there. In addition, there's many guides stationed at the tourism sites; and when you look touristy enough, they will just come to you, asking if you need a guide to do some explanation etc.

    To add on, I skipped Zhouzhuang and visited Tongli instead as it is less crowded

    Pretty much enjoyed my stay there. It's as if I've travelled back into the old China!

    HAVE FUN!
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    It is actually easier to get to Zhouzhuang from shanghai than from Suzhou. Shanghai offers complete package day trips to and from Zhouzhuang on a daily basis, and very cheap too. See the first 2 links in my post above.'

    Here are some info about Zhouzhuang, and of course my pictures taken in zhouzhuang during winter a while back. Enjoy.
    http://darthbertz.blogspot.com/2009/...r-morning.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Shen siung View Post
    Hi TS,

    If you can read and speak Chinese, I would suggest you go by yourself.
    If you can't, you can ask for your hotel's help. They will recommend suitable day tour.

    Jinjiang (http://www.jjtravel.com/) is one of the good tour provider and expensive.

    It is possible to do Suzhou in a day tour, if you not particular.
    However, for photography, I would always like to do it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Shanghai is quite simple and very foreigner friendly. Every hotel will be able to give you a city map with local tourist spots. And the subway all have english and all have good maps.

    If you want to wander out of town to nearby attractions, go to this government run tour agency.

    Chinese site:
    http://www.chinassbc.com/

    English site:
    http://www.chinassbc.com/english/

    Chinese site is better. They have a lot of information. You can hire tour guides if you really need (I think is not necessary). But the best things they offer are local tour packages, and tons of day trips to the nearby attractions.

    If you need more info, you should visit the following thread. I've already covered a lot of ground in there, including camera shopping advice in Shanghai.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...light=Shanghai
    Wow! Thanks you Bros for the suggesting and tips. Doing some research and going to make this trip fruitful!! CHeers!
    Stay foolish, Stay Hungry - STEVE JOBS
    i love to shoot!! V3 - the animation people

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •