Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Settings for street photography

Default Settings for street photography

Hi everyone, I am a newbie here and interested in street photography. Any of the veterans here care to share the settings they commonly use for street shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by leodo
    Hi everyone, I am a newbie here and interested in street photography. Any of the veterans here care to share the settings they commonly use for street shooting?
    depends on your camera...and lighting conditions and wat u are taking...
    loads of stuff to work out...if u using dslr no problem....snap and snap till u get it right....

if using to film...like my f401...then take and take and write down your settings and learn when u develop the film...expensive and oldschool....

but film's got feeling...

what kind of camera do you intend to use for your street shoots?

I am using a Canon A80. Well, the current settings I am using is Aperture priority using ISO 100. I am mostly dissatisfied with my pictures, because a lot of times they turn out not so sharp. (well, maybe its my skills )

Anyway, thanks for the replies, hope more are coming

if they turn out not so sharp...i tink its the film...coz wif iso100 if u shake abit while holdin ya cam the photo will blur....try iso200 instead....

too bad it's A80.

if it's film or dslr i can tell you typical settings all the way up till iso 3200.

but well
    just shoot a little more and get used to whatever gear you have and you'll get the hang of everything.

I think regardless what camera you are using, there's no fixed method or recommended settings for street shoot. Dun limit yourself to the settings.
    Does that mean you can't take night street shots with ISO 100? Of coz not... your creativity is your only limitation.

Technically, you have hand shake therefore it's not sharp at ISO100. Keep training and shooting!

There is no such thing as fix setting in street photography. Anyone will have his/her own style of shooting. It depends on the photographer, how he/she wanted to present his/her work to the audience.

"..f 8 and be there..." ;-)

Some factors to consider:

ISO: the higher you use, the more flexibility in terms of apertures and shutterspeeds. When you use ISO 100, you are normally limited to a wide open aperture and relatively slow shutterspeeds (below 1/60).

Exposure: manual metering off your hand is best. If that is too advanced/troublesome, AE or Tv should be acceptable, but you have to accept that your camera will get fooled sometimes.

Lens length: 35/50 mm lengths (film) are preferred. Any wider and you get distortion which does not look good for people. Any longer, and depth of field and working distance is not good.

Having said the above, Henri Cartier Bresson used Tri-X (ISO 400), and a M3 and got great results. David Alan Harvey (National Geographic) uses Velvia/Provia (ISO 50/100) on an M6 and got great results too. I guess the key thing is to be out there taking the pictures. Technique will slowly but surely be learnt as you take more pictures.

Lens cap off and go.

yup...juz practice....like me haha

Thanks for all the advices!

you are welcome...so u wanna come for the newbie shoot on sat?? little india??

One good way is manually set to hyperfocus distance then take the shoot. But then hor, must be able to judge the distances correctly.

Think the whole beauty of street is that there is NO such thing as a specific setting. For that matter, even a totally out of focused or with handshake blur is accceptable. Its what you want to capture that is important...

set to P mode and shoot

Set shutter speed to around 1/125th on ISO 125 B&W or around 1/250th to 1/500th on ISO 400 B&W (depending on light conditions), set aperture to f/11, set hyper-focal distance on lens to focus between 1.5m to infinity... and shoot. Don't have to worry about focusing at all as anything between 2m to infinity is in focus!

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by zodnm
    set to P mode and shoot
    Easiest way to start.

don't mind ~ I like night photography evening abt 7 ok ?

Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    you are welcome...so u wanna come for the newbie shoot on sat?? little india??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast