Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eos S300 or Nikon F75?

Quote Originally Posted by snapboy
    I dont use the dioptre.. but it says it the manual tat it only affect the view of the photographer and not the picture..
    Dioptre adjustment is for photographers who wear spectacles. Adjusting it enables them to look through the viewfinder and see a clear picture without wearing spectacles.

I personally was in the same position as you not too long ago, and I went for the F75, mainly because I liked how it feels in my hands and it look nicer (to me). Your first step into an SLR system is basically based on how much you like the first camera and how it feels to you. Accessories and lens wise, not much to choose from between Nikon and Canon.

Quote Originally Posted by cs_sim
    Actually I huv also tried Minolta Dynax 5, e gd thing abt its is e eye control feature however feedback that I great frm some photography friends are that their svc in S'pore is pretty poor. Also is e small button beside e F75 called a diopter?
    I guess their service is pretty average. I would not say it is poor, but neither would I say it is anywhere near fantastic either. What is the cost for the F75 and EOS300?

buy the canon

i can lend u L lens to play with ;-)

Default Eos S300 or Nikon F75??

Think e promotional price for Eos 300 is abt $650, Body + 28-90mm lens + 75-300mm len. Not sure if it comes w bag. As for N75, also getting body and lenses for approx $800+ - $900.

Think e promotional price for Eos 300 is abt $650, Body + 28-90mm lens + 75-300mm len. Not sure if it comes w bag. As for N75, also getting body and lenses for approx $800+ - $900.
    Hmm... if you're planning to spend about $1k, then I might suggest that you get a better body than EOS 300 or F75. Those systems that come with the 75-300mm lens may be tempting, but kit lens are ultimately inferior lenses. You might just regret later lor!

Actually, if you don't mind second hand, think someone was selling his Dynax 7 somewhere!
    I also saw someone selling Dynax 5xi with 28-80mm lens at $100 somewhere too! If you want, you might wanna get that, and I can lend you my 70-300mm lor!

The guy sellin the Dynax 5xi posted his thread here.

Thanks for e advise but think for a start i don't want to spend over 1K on e body alone. By e way, how to tell if a 2nd hand cam is in gd condition?

Thanks for e advise but think for a start i don't want to spend over 1K on e body alone. By e way, how to tell if a 2nd hand cam is in gd condition?
    How to tell the cam is in good condition? Well, try it out on all sort of settings, check that everything is in working order, and if you are fussy, check for cosmetic defects. A working cam is a good cam in my opinion lor!

I asked myself the same question a few months ago.
    F75 or 300v.
    I ended up with F75. And no regret. (not that 300v is not good). Dont think too
    much. Whatever decision you make, you will not regret it because you will love it.

bout the kit lens being lousy lens....personally if its the F75, and the lens are nikkor lens...then no problem...normally for nikon...no need to tink...the nikkor lens will produce the best results...

for canon however, i heard my friend say tt sometimes sigma or tamron lens work better....and not canon lens...not sure if its true....

basically i tink u are a budget person....try to get the most out of ya 1k....basically i tink almost all AF film cameras are good...in terms of photo quality... haha

Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    bout the kit lens being lousy lens....personally if its the F75, and the lens are nikkor lens...then no problem...normally for nikon...no need to tink...the nikkor lens will produce the best results...

for canon however, i heard my friend say tt sometimes sigma or tamron lens work better....and not canon lens...not sure if its true....

basically i tink u are a budget person....try to get the most out of ya 1k....basically i tink almost all AF film cameras are good...in terms of photo quality... haha
    Personally, after buying the F75 with the kit lens (28-80G), I find that the built quality is :thumbsdown: but if you can look past the poor built quality, optically speaking its not bad as long as you stop it down.

Erm nikkors will produce the best result? compare to what? Canon? Sigma? Tamron? Carl Zeiss optics?

yup...for the older models....if your body is nikon...its best to use nikkor for multiple reasons....tt's wat the manufacturer told me...

for normal conditions.like streets..i feel nikkor is the best...compared to other consumer brands like sigma tamron etc...

Also anywhere I can get some quick tip or lessons on how to use my slr?
    switch to p mode, shoot a few rolls. Can try photo.net for some tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash
    switch to p mode, shoot a few rolls. Can try photo.net for some tips.

i tink if wanna get this kind of SLR best is learn the oldschool way...dun expect to get great shots right away...dun expect to even get normal shots...

take a roll of film...do bracketing...and write down the settings for every shot...when develop liao...then start questioning y!!

learn the hard way...i using AF cam also never touch the AF before...been using the manual from day one...dun be scared of the cam...once u get the hang of it can liao...can build feeling with cam also leh

Actually i'll be going to e States end May so don't think i have enough time to explore e M mode. So for e time being think i'll juz make do w Auto mode. By e way anybody knows what shuttle speed i shld use for taking pics of waterfall? N for night portrait is it a must to use tripod?

for night i recommend u use tripod...coz camera shake will blur the whole photo...

if u wanna freeze the water movement...try shutter priority...use 1/125 or 1/250 depending on water speed...tt's the setting i use for my nikons....so i not sure about u...

hope the information is useful

night portrait:

indoor: the indoors lighting make handholding possible ,ISO400, aperture priority, f4, flash exposure set to -1 compensation, bracket the exposure in 1/2 stops

outdoor: no main source of lighting => must use tripod, ISO 800 or 400, aperture priority, f4 or f2.8, flash exposure set to -1/2 stop, bracket the exposure in 1/2 stops

if u want the outdoors scene to be in focus as well the ngot to use f5.6 of f8 => it will effectively be a long exposure on tripod with flash for the model in the portrait

waterfall: the typical trend is to use lower shutetr speed + tripod so that
    1. the rocks and grass and all other stationary object in the scene wont come out blurry
    2. the water turns out in a dreamy blur

=)

Thanks Witness n Clive! By e way Clive what range of shutter speed is considered slow? Around 100+ as suggested by Witness or?

Thanks Witness n Clive! By e way Clive what range of shutter speed is considered slow? Around 100+ as suggested by Witness or?
    1/100 is considered fast... though I doubt that it's fast enough to freeze the water droplets coming down from the fall. Usually a slow shutter speed like 2 seconds is used for special effects, like that of a waterfall, where the splash all blur out into a dreamy white mist. Then again, it depends on how fast the fall is. I'd had to put a shutter speed of 30 seconds to achieve that effect when I was shooting the pseudo-waterfall in the Botanical Gardens lor!

Think you might need at least 1 second to get the sort of dreamy look, in which case a tripod is quite essential. If it's a bright day, you might not be able to get that 1sec even at f22, so you might need to slap on a polarising filter or neutral density filter to enable you to get a >1sec exposure. Check this link for examples of how the waterfall looks at various exposure: waterfalls

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast