Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 56

Thread: SBS and MRT will not increase fares

  1. #21
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hangyong
    I will do it willingly man.. for that kind of pay cheque... please put me first in the line if the opening is there...

    but unfortunately, they wun wan me coz I am not pro government policies.

    lets face it. I hae already said that you are not wrong. So why keep pushing me?
    i'm not pushing you. but where is your sense of conscience when you said you'd do it for the "fat cheque" alone? and questioning the existence of responbilities?

    question is, are you responsible for what you say in the first place? remember one thing - the government is for the people, and made up of the same people. if you are not for the government - may i rephrase it to - "not for the people", who are you for? what kind of policies do you have?

    as for an opening, i can't help you. i'm only a lowly civil servant myself

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Jurong West Extension
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    i'm not pushing you. but where is your sense of conscience when you said you'd do it for the "fat cheque" alone? and questioning the existence of responbilities?

    question is, are you responsible for what you say in the first place? remember one thing - the government is for the people, and made up of the same people. if you are not for the government - may i rephrase it to - "not for the people", who are you for? what kind of policies do you have?

    as for an opening, i can't help you. i'm only a lowly civil servant myself
    they do it for the people?? haha... what kind of responsibilities have they ever shouldered? and what conscience are you talking about? biang...

    not for the gov does not equal not for the people.. get that straight.

    I dun wan this threat to go off topic.. discuss about policies, go to my blog... or start another thread... I rest my case here...

  3. #23

    Default

    YES SIR, hangyong and sehsuan please rest your case here. Otherwise KKNIGHT ONG
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

  4. #24

    Default

    we're all entitled to our freedom of speech, it is in one of 3 major rights we have written in the constitution. shouldering responsibility of what we say is another matter altogether.

    regarding the topic of this thread, we can be very sure of one thing,
    In the long run, public transport fares WILL increase, Taxes (GST) WILL increase. One day, we'll be like london or tokyo. For Eg, min wage in london is abt 4.3pounds/hr. min price of a tube(their MRT) is 1.6POUNDS. imagine how freaking ex that is. VAT (their GST) is 17.5%. On the good side, medical and educational fees are heavily subsidised etc.

    Every government has their ways to govern. And most citizens will compare it's own with other systems and complain about its own. Its just human nature. When one is not happy, either they kaopeh (In forums etc) or write to ST/MPs, etc, but in the end little is done. The ONLY way to change things is to JOIN the white army, as mentioned by some minister. But along the way of enlistment, u'll prolly be brainwashed into an elitist.

    Be thankful everyday we have 'fast' and 'efficient' public transport. Prices hikes WILL come.

    peace out.

  5. #25
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hangyong
    they do it for the people?? haha... what kind of responsibilities have they ever shouldered? and what conscience are you talking about? biang...
    what have you now, that are fruits of the past government's drives? IT? education? medical? unless everything, or almost everything you have now, are derived by yourself, then you are truly bearing fruit not of the government, but of yourself.

    something i hope you roughly understand the concept behind: "He without sin among you, cast the first stone". alternatively, if you want to question Mr Lim's past works, you can contact him at lim_boon_heng@pmo.gov.sg

    Quote Originally Posted by hangyong
    not for the gov does not equal not for the people.. get that straight.
    i agree there's a mistake, because i made an assumption here. apologies for this.

  6. #26

    Default

    AMPA * WPPI * J team

  7. #27

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by hangyong
    not more than a few cents? lets just say $0.05 per trip lah...

    one day 2 million commuters (for bus + taxi + MRT, as seen in ads in MRT stations). lets divide it evenly between the 3. that means each day bus and MRT takes 1.3million commuters.

    multiply that with $0.05, thats $66,666.67 per day! lets say every month, only 20days will have people taking bus and MRT, and all other days its empty, they take in $1.3million per month! multiply that by 12 months, and you get $16million in a year!

    thats just by ADJUSTING the fare by $0.05.

    many peopl will think that $0.05 is not alot lah... can lah... they not taking alot.. very fair....

    well, I say do your maths right.
    With regards to your number crunching, you have made your point.

    Now, it is my turn. First, I am quoting what the minister said.

    Second, By quoting him, I am not necessarily in total or partial agreement with his statement.

  8. #28
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    oops.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Jurong West Extension
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    With regards to your number crunching, you have made your point.

    Now, it is my turn. First, I am quoting what the minister said.

    Second, By quoting him, I am not necessarily in total or partial agreement with his statement.
    sorry reachme2003... when I quoted you, I was not trying to fire at what you said... just wanted to carry on from where you ended (with my own opinion)...

    I agree to what you said totally coz I think the same way as you do too... at least in this instance...

    *peace*

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Jurong West Extension
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    hahahahaha.... me also

  11. #31

    Default

    my 2 cents,

    we have a pretty effecient public transport system linking our small island,
    on this, I am pretty happy abt it.

    Cost wise a little on the high side,
    take a typical family man like me, me and wife working plus with a small boy, so at times we take cab when fetching him home,
    I did some rough estimate and even though we take public transport, stayed near MRT, our monthly transportation exp is close to 10% of our combined take home pay,
    if I were to buy car, worse, think got absolutely no saving liao

    if u add in increase in GST, property tax, conservancy charges, power bill, bus and MRT fare, plus if pay remain same or decrease

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    谁是你
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    With the Nicoll Highway closes for months, the bus, rail companies and LTA have a good excuse to justify an increase....buses need a detour to get to their destination. MRT costs increase due to repair costs of the tunnel... LTA to increase ERP to better manage the increase congestion on the other roads due to more cars unable to use highway.

    Quote Originally Posted by hangyong
    I think you should keep this article in a safe place...

    lets see if they will increase... if they do, we can finally see how truthful they are...

    but come to think of it.. they can always come up with a reason and say that they have no choice but to increase... back to sq one...
    Last edited by kiwitan; 21st April 2004 at 12:07 PM.

  13. #33
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    kiwitan, you mean, nicoll highway, not ECP, i think?

  14. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwitan
    With the Nicoll Highway closes for months, the bus, rail companies and LTA have a good excuse to justify an increase....buses need a detour to get to their destination. MRT costs increase due to repair costs of the tunnel... LTA to increase ERP to better manage the increase congestion on the other roads due to more cars unable to use highway.
    Excuse me! In case you haven't read the papers yet...

    From Straits Times - Longer journeys, delays ahead as traffic is diverted

    "Because of the forced diversion, the Electronic Road Pricing charge for motorists when they drive past the Kallang Road gantry during morning rush hour on weekdays will be lifted."

    Now, who's saying LTA is going to increase ERP charge on alternative routes?

  15. #35

    Default

    Sigh. Some people will love to tekan the government no matter wat the gov does.

    Recall last time during NS, when some of my colleagues starts scolding the government, i would remind them that they are part of the government. Love to see the shock of revelation on their faces.

    Another incident was happened when a bunch of colleagues of mine was sitting at a kopitiam and one of them was slaming a new gov policy implimented. I had to tap the complainer on the shoulder and nicely tell him that the chap who implimented the policy was sitting with us.

    I personally was not spared too. I have tried starting a paper recycling project in my gov sector. There was people was didn't know the project was my "baby", come complain to me how the government spends time on unless projects like these. Sigh agin.

    Then I cutting down the workload of the people by writing programmes to automate paperwork. Kena again from ignorant souls who thinks that those programs are methods from the government to "spy" on their work.

    Sigh again. I guess many do not realize the government is not made up of certain individuals but people in your immidiate vicinity (including that nerdy relative of your in the IRS). Many have tend to de-associate themselves so much that they do not see how to contribute and lurks in a corner complaining. Outside my previous work, I have personally writen to different gov sectors to suggest improvement and is impressed by the responds.

  16. #36
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    Poon, curiously, which branch of the civil service are you in?

    although it's still fairly well believed to be generally true, remember the idea of the six degrees of connection. supposedly true, you'll know practically anyone (well, i'm not so sure about the others far across the other side of earth) via a connection of six people in between. just happens Mr Lim is my 2nd degree...

  17. #37

    Default

    The paper recycle still on in our company ....
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

  18. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    Poon, curiously, which branch of the civil service are you in?

    although it's still fairly well believed to be generally true, remember the idea of the six degrees of connection. supposedly true, you'll know practically anyone (well, i'm not so sure about the others far across the other side of earth) via a connection of six people in between. just happens Mr Lim is my 2nd degree...
    I was refering to my NS days lah. Was so overly garang that most people thought i was a high ranking, high profile regular . Even my direct incharge sometimes forget and once scolded me something like this, "Poon, your performance has fallen to be only slightly better then most mid-lvl officers." I wanted to remind him that i not only lower in rank then what he decribed, but only NS as well.

    Anyway i can now be your 1st lvl of degree on the other side if earth.

  19. #39

    Lightbulb sorry?

    Quote Originally Posted by hangyong
    sorry reachme2003... when I quoted you, I was not trying to fire at what you said... just wanted to carry on from where you ended (with my own opinion)...

    I agree to what you said totally coz I think the same way as you do too... at least in this instance...

    *peace*
    No need for apology. As members here, we are only stating our personal views.

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    431

    Default

    they say they willl not increase this year..... but when their term 'this year' start..... last year i suposed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •