Thread: focusing

Default focusing

hi, jus attend a frd's wedding and during table shots, found out that the photographer will focus away from the group and point back at the group and finally full press the shutter button. what is the photographer trying to achieve here?

Default Re: focusing

He's metering the exposure off a different place from that of the table
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

he is using the centre point to focus then recompose.

Either one, or both of the above.

for a group shot i am not sure why he would do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Either one, or both of the above.
    But wouldn't tat be out of focus when he shoot at the group. I mean if I meter at point A by pressing half the shutter button n turn to point B n fully press the shutter button that will give me point B to b out of focus right?

Quote Originally Posted by nightelves View Post
    hi, jus attend a frd's wedding and during table shots, found out that the photographer will focus away from the group and point back at the group and finally full press the shutter button. what is the photographer trying to achieve here?
    u will know what he trying to do when you see the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by miaoteh View Post
    u will know what he trying to do when you see the photo.
    Tks. I'm asking for the technique. If we can c a photo and know wat the photographer is trying to do then this forum shld be close n jus post photos only.

But wouldn't tat be out of focus when he shoot at the group. I mean if I meter at point A by pressing half the shutter button n turn to point B n fully press the shutter button that will give me point B to b out of focus right?
    Coming to think of it ... he or she might not be focus-lock-recomposing, but meter-lock-recompose to compensate for/balance possible bright lights in the BG.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Coming to think of it ... he or she might not be focus-lock-recomposing, but meter-lock-recompose to compensate for/balance possible bright lights in the BG.
    Ok fair enuf. so how can we do meter lock thingy? Is there a function in 450D?

Check your manual Index under Exposure lock.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 15th June 2010 at 02:11 AM.

wedding group shot normally set at f5.6 and ISO you got to tune higher to get the back ground brighter. Need to plus the flash +ev too it will depend on how bright/dark the surrounding. Experience count.
    He or she the photographer is focusing lock then recompose or exposure lock, normally dont exposuer lock in group photo.
    And for focusing, semi pro cam n above have a focusing button behind the body, so u might not know the photographer may already focus on and shutter is just to take a picture.
    Well u can always ask the photographer next time if you happen to see and dont understand. And hope he is telling the truth. kekeke
    Nikon D600 N35f2, N50f1.4, N24-120f4, Tokina 20-35f2.8, SB900,

Could be focus lock, exposure lock or both.

1. For exposure, he can do an exposure lock. Before locking focus elsewhere
    2. For focus lock, if its somehow easier to get focus on somewhere on the same plane as the subject that is brighter or higher contrast, he could be doing so.
    3. To do both, just exposure lock first, focus lock, recompose.

If he shoot straight, the white table cloth can result in wrong exposure.

Blog Entries

At my wedding dinner, the photographer did the same exact movements. Let me ask him what that was for.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    At my wedding dinner, the photographer did the same exact movements. Let me ask him what that was for.
    . Let's wait till ur photog reply. I did ask 1 or 2 photog but they seems like afraid to impart tat technique or something. Don't feel like they r willing to share.

is just a old technique die hard...... focus and recompose.

shooting table shots is the bread and butter shots for traditional style wedding photographers. back in the days where cameras only have ONE focusing point.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Any flash used??

Then should be Meter for ambience and fill light to illuminate the subjects /or focus lock and recompose.
    Last edited by Numnumball; 15th June 2010 at 12:06 PM.
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Any flash used??

Then should be Meter for ambience and fill light to illuminate the subjects /or focus lock and recompose.
    flash used.