Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Nicole Highway incidence

It is really interesting that everyone suddenly became expert in cracks, concrete, excavations and explosions, not to mention construction accidents.

When the investigations are completed, we'll know for sure what the public is suppose to know.

Default Repair Works In Progress, LTA Sets Up Independent Investigation Panel

Repair works at Nicoll Highway is in progress, as LTA fills up the cracks around the incident site with concrete to stabilise the ground. We have also set up an independent panel to investigate into the cause of the collapse of the Nicoll Highway work site.

For more information please click http://app.lta.gov.sg/corp_press_content.asp?start=1003

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic
    Reclamation don't really just mean filling up the sea lah.... It's just a term for converting or creating existing/non-existing land for use.
    You can reclaim land from the sea by filling it up. You can reclaim land from swamp by filling it up too. You can also reclaim land from Toa Payoh for a Disneyland by blowing the town up too. We don't have to get so technical about the terms lah.
    I think that is called land acquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic
    Reclamation don't really just mean filling up the sea lah.... It's just a term for converting or creating existing/non-existing land for use.
    You can reclaim land from the sea by filling it up. You can reclaim land from swamp by filling it up too. You can also reclaim land from Toa Payoh for a Disneyland by blowing the town up too. We don't have to get so technical about the terms lah.
    Oei! U U...
    Blow up my hometown..

Quote Originally Posted by hangyong
    wah kaoz... concrete alone is bad for preventing seepage of water man... those who stays in HDB (or rather those built by JTC) apts older than 25 years old will know.

It is because of the concrete mixture. What make up concrete? Different grade of cement, different type of aggregate. Cement is more expensive than sand, aggregate and water. If you want low cost structure, which cost will you cut, if you want to save concrete volume will you build a thicker wall than the recommended thickness? Of course impurities in sand, aggregate and water during mixing will also affect the concrete.

Btw most of the walls in older HDB are not concrete wall some are hollow block wall or brickwall, then plastered over.

I think I OT liao...hee hee

Wow, even our PM went to see the condition of the site (as reported in news), He mentioned that the most impoertant thing now is the search and rescue effort, then the reinstatement of the site.

"Finger pointing have to wait"

The construction industry have been in bad limelight in recent years. Heard so much on main contractors unable to pay their subcon...etc.

The investigation result most likely will end up making one of the 3 contractors paying hefty fine.

my guess:
    1) The temporary retention wall wasn't strong enuf
    2) The steel beam support structure wasn't properly designed to support the load or worsed wasn't properly constructed.

Personnel most likely to be blame
    1)The Registered Safety Officer,
    2)The Professional, Registered Engineer/s

Quote Originally Posted by Aton
    my guess:
    1) The temporary retention wall wasn't strong enuf
    2) The steel beam support structure wasn't properly designed to support the load or worsed wasn't properly constructed.

Personnel most likely to be blame
    1)The Registered Safety Officer,
    2)The Professional, Registered Engineer/s
    hee... you must be an engineer yourself...

anyway, my guess is similar to yours.

It is because of the concrete mixture. What make up concrete? Different grade of cement, different type of aggregate. Cement is more expensive than sand, aggregate and water. If you want low cost structure, which cost will you cut, if you want to save concrete volume will you build a thicker wall than the recommended thickness? Of course impurities in sand, aggregate and water during mixing will also affect the concrete.

Btw most of the walls in older HDB are not concrete wall some are hollow block wall or brickwall, then plastered over.

I think I OT liao...hee hee
    Pretty slanderous talk here. What you are saying is that the concrete used is not up to standards, or that on site, the mix has been tampered with. That means that the Site Supervisor is not doing his job, and that guy could well be an LTA engineer.

It is possible that there may be under design, poor construction, tampered concrete mix or any other such factors. I believe that the investigation body will give conclusive answers.

Quote Originally Posted by yowch
    It is really interesting that everyone suddenly became expert in cracks, concrete, excavations and explosions, not to mention construction accidents.

When the investigations are completed, we'll know for sure what the public is suppose to know.
    welcome to the world of the broadbase educated engineer...

Quote Originally Posted by mervlam
    welcome to the world of the broadbase educated engineer...
    NTU has in place a compelling broad-based undergraduate curriculum that will be further broadened so students spend more time studying "non-core" subjects (electives) in IT, humanities, communication, life sciences, finance and management and physical education. These subjects provide grounding in the broad areas of humanistic, business and technological knowledge. Students will thus possess both multi-disciplinary knowledge and soft human skills.

http://www.ntu.edu.sg/publicportal/8...31d6b6bdae.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Linkster
    NTU has in place a compelling broad-based undergraduate curriculum that will be further broadened so students spend more time studying "non-core" subjects (electives) in IT, humanities, communication, life sciences, finance and management and physical education. These subjects provide grounding in the broad areas of humanistic, business and technological knowledge. Students will thus possess both multi-disciplinary knowledge and soft human skills.

http://www.ntu.edu.sg/publicportal/8...31d6b6bdae.htm
    that's way off topic

CNA interviewed residents & people working around other MRT Circle Line constructions just now. Some interviewed feared that the Nicoll Highway disaster may also happen around other Circle Line constructions eg Paya Lebar. This invoked a fear in me. I'm working at Paya Lebar, just next to one of the construction sites. Many a times, I can feel my office building tremoring and vibrating for no apparent reasons!

man, this is better then the news.. you got all the essentials, with commentary, on the spot!! who gives a damn about long winded news anymore!!

p.s; i'm just kidding. Learned people, please dun flame me =x

saw the following from the straits times website:

The collapse of the road left a hole measuring 100 metres by 150 metres, about the size of a basketball court. It also disrupted utility supplies in the area but these were restored shortly after. -- WONG KWAI CHOW

since when is a basketball court 100m by 150m?

Default Nicoll Highway: a symbol of progress in 1956

NICOLL Highway, which stretches from Suntec City to the National Stadium, was officially opened on Aug 17, 1956.

It was a celebrated achievement on the island as this was a highway that ran mostly over reclaimed land.

Costing S$9.5 million at the time, the highway included a span that ran over the Kallang River. It was then the longest pre-stressed concrete bridge in Southeast Asia.

The highway was named after former Singapore Governor John Fearns Nicoll, and designed by Mr RJ Hollid-Bee.

Extracted from: http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/mnt.../st0420_b.html

Quote Originally Posted by yowch
    Pretty slanderous talk here. What you are saying is that the concrete used is not up to standards, or that on site, the mix has been tampered with. That means that the Site Supervisor is not doing his job, and that guy could well be an LTA engineer.

It is possible that there may be under design, poor construction, tampered concrete mix or any other such factors. I believe that the investigation body will give conclusive answers.

Sorry guess I didn't put myself very clearly, I meant concrete in some of those flats that gave rise to the poor condition. I have ever worked in Town council and have seen those defects before. I never meant to be in any way slanderous.

I believe LTA Engineers only ensure that the contractors work within the standard specifications/levels, like inspector, not involved in the actual design and construction.

Maybe my guess shld be:
    1)The thickness of the retention wall should be thicker
    2)The steel beam structure wasn't designed to withstand the excessive soil load bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by vivientan
    CNA interviewed residents & people working around other MRT Circle Line constructions just now. Some interviewed feared that the Nicoll Highway disaster may also happen around other Circle Line constructions eg Paya Lebar. This invoked a fear in me. I'm working at Paya Lebar, just next to one of the construction sites. Many a times, I can feel my office building tremoring and vibrating for no apparent reasons!

not to scare you, the expressway excavation shld be deeper and wider, but after what happened, extra precaution will be taken on the KPE construction.
    Vibration felt most likely due to close proximity of the traffic. Unless you see crack nearby then call the Site Manager lor. I think its social resposibility to report such instances, for the safety of everyone.

not to scare you, the expressway excavation shld be deeper and wider, but after what happened, extra precaution will be taken on the KPE construction.
    Vibration felt most likely due to close proximity of the traffic. Unless you see crack nearby then call the Site Manager lor. I think its social resposibility to report such instances, for the safety of everyone.
    I doubt that the road traffic caused the vibration to be felt by vivientan, otherwise she would have already felt it before the construction started. It is more likely that construction activities such as piling works caused the vibrations.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

My guess is unusually high rainfall in recent months may have set off soil movement in the area. Stresses in the soil could have been induced by shifting groundwater levels due to the interacting of the infiltrating rainwater and existing saltwater levels.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast