Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 82

Thread: tripod recommendation

  1. #21
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: tripod recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Cheap, strong (sturdy), light.

    Pick two.




    Bro, don't poison him with $1700 tripod heads lah
    That said, it's true; you need to balance everything out. No point having a weakest link e.g. having super expensive tripod head with cheapo tripod legs, or vice versa. The weakest link will bring everything down.

    Last week, YS shared how just by using the centre column of the tripod unnecessarily, can weaken the chain of things already.
    I myself am using a cheapo small ballhead... poison him with what?
    Exploring! :)

  2. #22
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: tripod recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by ducky88 View Post
    yup the center column. my budget is ard $300 looking for gitzo or manfrotto. hopefully is within the budget and get extend to the height of 1.8m.
    Actually dude, with $300 budget, you can already get a very good tripod setup. I got my Manfrotto 190xprob with 488rc2 head used for around 270. No complaints so far.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,571

    Default Re: tripod recommendation

    Dude, you need to include a ballhead attachment. If you want travel tripod, probably go for Carbon fiber type, the above brands listed here are quite familar with many CSers.

    Personally using Sirui T-2204X + G-20 ballhead, was almost getting Manfrotto one but the budget only sets me for Aluminium alloy material tripod, to me is quite heavy if you're going to travel with it. get a CF tripod (save 30-40% weight).

    1. Go to TK Foto and have a look and feel of the tripods, they have Gitzo as well for you to compare.
    2. Manfrotto distributed by Cathay Photo, go check them out as well.

  4. #24

    Default Re: tripod recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by wmayeo View Post
    Dude, you need to include a ballhead attachment. If you want travel tripod, probably go for Carbon fiber type, the above brands listed here are quite familar with many CSers.

    Personally using Sirui T-2204X + G-20 ballhead, was almost getting Manfrotto one but the budget only sets me for Aluminium alloy material tripod, to me is quite heavy if you're going to travel with it. get a CF tripod (save 30-40% weight).

    1. Go to TK Foto and have a look and feel of the tripods, they have Gitzo as well for you to compare.
    2. Manfrotto distributed by Cathay Photo, go check them out as well.
    Second this recommendation. Sirui is a good brand and value for money. Really appreciate the intro from this forum. For myself, I went for an even lighter set-up, T1204 + G10.

    Cheers

  5. #25

    Default Re: tripod recommendation

    Hi guys,
    Was pretty interested in the Sirui tripod as it can be folded invertedly which saves a lot of space and is so much easier to carry.
    However, when i surf the Sirui webby, they state that although the load of the 1204 can support up to a max of 10kg... it is suitable only for lens which are 200mm and below.
    Mine is a 18-250 lens... Does it means that i'm not suitable to be carrying this tripod?

    Anyway, anybody knows the price range for this 1204?

  6. #26

    Default Re: tripod recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Actually dude, with $300 budget, you can already get a very good tripod setup. I got my Manfrotto 190xprob with 488rc2 head used for around 270. No complaints so far.
    second that ..i got mine last year at $350..it is very great
    Canon 500D | 50mm f1.4 | 430EXII |

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    432

    Default Re: tripod recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Actually dude, with $300 budget, you can already get a very good tripod setup. I got my Manfrotto 190xprob with 488rc2 head used for around 270. No complaints so far.
    I 2nd that as well, Take it that your setup cost 2 grands and paying 350 is merely 1/6 of the full set up of what u had... Never risk with filmsy trippy
    D90-MB80|N18-105|N50 1.8|T180 M.|GT1541T|Q3T|Up48|SB900|
    BBB Virus will Devour your Soul.

  8. #28

    Default Re: tripod recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    For tripod, there are a number of factors to consider:

    1) Load capacity
    2) Max height (fully deployed)
    3) Min height (folded)
    4) Number of sections
    5) Weight
    6) Price
    Quote Originally Posted by ducky88 View Post
    is a gd guide for me. thank you.

    1) support til 3kg
    2) 1.8m
    3) No idea. ( will find out more)
    4) 3-4 sections
    5) 1-2kg
    6) $300
    Some reality checks ...

    A tripod, when fully extended, will NOT be very stable.

    A 3 or 4 section tripod, weighing only 1-2kgs, reaching up to 1.8meters, could be very flimsy, because the legs' OD has to be thin, and those have to be thin-walled. Locking mechanisms might be compromised, especially at the lower price-points.

    Don't think any reputable manufacturer would offer something they know will be shaky because their reputation is at stake. Also, the more sections a tripod has, the less structurally stable it becomes, especially when fully deployed/extended.

    Ideally, you want a support system (including the head) to be capable of taking at least 2 - 3 times the manufacturer stated max loads, and also be able to reach a desired working height WITHOUT being fully extended. Margins of what is ideal would vary greatly with individual tripod design and actual construction, but my guess is (with good designs and stable engineering) I would max a tripod to between 50% and 75% of its extension capabilities without raising the center column.

    In your case, that would mean a system with a max load of 6 - 9kg, and a max height of more than 2meters.

    Also bear in mind, especially if you shoot in windy conditions like atop the Pinnacle or the new MBS skybridge, the higher any tripod is, it's far more susceptible to a multitude of movement and vibrations.

    Might have to re-evaluate your requirements. I may be wrong, but I don't think you will find a 1-2kg tripod with head fully extended that meets those requirements even if you were willing to pay $3000 instead of $300.

    This assumes a premise that you want a stable tripod support system, and not just something to plonk your camera on.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Teck Whye
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: tripod recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    For tripod, there are a number of factors to consider:

    1) Load capacity
    2) Max height (fully deployed)
    3) Min height (folded)
    4) Number of sections
    5) Weight
    6) Price
    Hi,
    I think ZerocoolAstra's points are good. I would also like to add another 2 factors:
    3a. Min height (lowest the tripod can go).
    4a. Ball head quality.

    My experience from Dec last year to date:
    1. 1st tripod: Sirui T-1205X with G-10 head = $330.00
    Sold after 3 months. Problem: Max height too low (my height 1.76M)- get tired,
    hunch backed after an afternoon out shooting; Ball head creep with overhang
    extended zoom lens.
    2. 2nd tripod: Sirui R-2204 with G-20 head = $310.00
    Sold after 3 months. Problem: Min height not low enough - for WA very low shots.
    3. 3rd tripod: Sirui N-2204 with G-20 head = $500.00. Bought two days ago. Hopefully
    I do not have to sell again!!

    Moral of the story:
    As you get more discerning in your quest to get that perfect shot, you do not mind to
    invest/spent more bucks to get better equipment.

    My advise: Bring your camera and lenses (especially those lenses that overhang from the camera's tripod mounting point to the front end) to the shop and try out the tripod.
    You must feel comfortable (standing straight) when using the tripod.
    You may have to compromise folded length for travelling. Those that are short when folded for travelling inevitably are those with 5 sections which means they are not sturdy, or they are 4-sections but extended height is too low.

    Cheers.
    LEW

  10. #30

    Default Re: tripod recommendation

    Hi all , is there any recommendation for a fast release tripod ?? I feel that it is too troublesome to clip\tighten the tripod when I want to release the legs or put it back

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,571

    Default Re: tripod recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by frostiee View Post
    Hi guys,
    Was pretty interested in the Sirui tripod as it can be folded invertedly which saves a lot of space and is so much easier to carry.
    However, when i surf the Sirui webby, they state that although the load of the 1204 can support up to a max of 10kg... it is suitable only for lens which are 200mm and below.
    Mine is a 18-250 lens... Does it means that i'm not suitable to be carrying this tripod?

    Anyway, anybody knows the price range for this 1204?
    price wise TK Foto is quite transparent about it, you can check out their Facebook, they posted the pricing here.

    You need a ballhead to support your dSLR body. Or else you can only mount the body directly to the tripod.
    you can bring your camera + 18-250 lens to test on the spot.

  12. #32

    Default Re: tripod recommendation

    Hi friends,

    Dont know much about tripod. Possible to get one which weight less than 1Kg for around $300.00? used mainly for travel..

  13. #33

    Default Re: tripod recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by SHLEW View Post
    1. 1st tripod: Sirui T-1205X with G-10 head = $330.00
    Sold after 3 months. Problem: Max height too low (my height 1.76M)- get tired,
    hunch backed after an afternoon out shooting; Ball head creep with overhang
    extended zoom lens.
    The ball head creep change ball head (markin, gitzo, manfrotto, benro). You doing landscape in the afternoon?

    Quote Originally Posted by SHLEW View Post
    2. 2nd tripod: Sirui R-2204 with G-20 head = $310.00
    Sold after 3 months. Problem: Min height not low enough - for WA very low shots.
    What kind of WA shoots u taking? How low is low?

    Quote Originally Posted by SHLEW View Post
    3. 3rd tripod: Sirui N-2204 with G-20 head = $500.00. Bought two days ago. Hopefully
    I do not have to sell again!!
    Hope u won't search for another tripod again. If not i would recommend gitzo explorer or Manfrotto 055XPRO series.


    Quote Originally Posted by SHLEW View Post
    My advise: Bring your camera and lenses (especially those lenses that overhang from the camera's tripod mounting point to the front end) to the shop and try out the tripod.
    You must feel comfortable (standing straight) when using the tripod.
    You may have to compromise folded length for travelling. Those that are short when folded for travelling inevitably are those with 5 sections which means they are not sturdy, or they are 4-sections but extended height is too low.
    i agreed on the point that bring ur gear to test the tripod. Please also find out from sale person all the special position that ur new tripod can do.

    As for travel, you have to compromise between the maximum height and comfort. Do you want a non sturdy tripod that move when u take long exposure? I would recommend get the 4 section for travel only, the thinnest section more than 15mm in diameter. The tripod must give you the confidence to place ur thousands $ gear on it without fear.
    Canon|Tamron|Gitzo|Manfrotto|Benro|B+W|Hoya|LCW|LEE|HiT ech|Cokin|TianYa

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Teck Whye
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: tripod recommendation

    Hi bro dleugene,

    "You doing landscape in the afternoon?"
    No, I was shooting wildlife in Kubah National Park in Kuching in May a few days,
    and came back hunch-back because the tripod was too low.

    "How low is low?"
    As low as possible in WA so that a small puddle of water will look like a lake.
    And taking children at their eye level. And shooting frogs at night.
    My camera has a swivel and rotate LCD.

    Don't ask the saleman to recommend. They do not know what you want. That's
    why I ended up buying 3 tripods from Richard of TK!!!! He was very, very happy!!!!.

    Write down all the points mentioned by so many bros in this thread and cross out
    those that you think is not important to you. Bring the list to the shop and request
    the salesperson to sell you a tripod with the list of what you want. Prepare to pay more to get the correct tripod rather than end up like me wasting money to learn.

    Cheers.
    LEW

  15. #35

    Default Re: tripod recommendation

    Thanks for clearing my doubts

    No offend.
    Canon|Tamron|Gitzo|Manfrotto|Benro|B+W|Hoya|LCW|LEE|HiT ech|Cokin|TianYa

  16. #36
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: tripod recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by frostiee View Post
    Hi guys,
    Was pretty interested in the Sirui tripod as it can be folded invertedly which saves a lot of space and is so much easier to carry.
    However, when i surf the Sirui webby, they state that although the load of the 1204 can support up to a max of 10kg... it is suitable only for lens which are 200mm and below.
    Mine is a 18-250 lens... Does it means that i'm not suitable to be carrying this tripod?

    Anyway, anybody knows the price range for this 1204?
    It can take the load of your lens lah.Price wise not too sure...

    Quote Originally Posted by khiunngiap View Post
    Hi all , is there any recommendation for a fast release tripod ?? I feel that it is too troublesome to clip\tighten the tripod when I want to release the legs or put it back
    I don't think there's any tripod where you do not need to clip/twist the legs...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tumber View Post
    Hi friends,

    Dont know much about tripod. Possible to get one which weight less than 1Kg for around $300.00? used mainly for travel..
    I mentioned this before:Person A says Manfrotto good.Person B says Benro good.Person C says Sirui good.Person D says Gitzo good.Person E says Fancier good.How?

    Go down to stores(Search if you don't know)and do your own homework...

  17. #37

    Default Re: tripod recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by khiunngiap View Post
    Hi all , is there any recommendation for a fast release tripod ?? I feel that it is too troublesome to clip\tighten the tripod when I want to release the legs or put it back
    You might wanna check Manfrotto tripod 458B
    Canon|Tamron|Gitzo|Manfrotto|Benro|B+W|Hoya|LCW|LEE|HiT ech|Cokin|TianYa

  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Teck Whye
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: tripod recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by dleugene View Post
    Thanks for clearing my doubts

    No offend.
    No bro, no offence. Sometimes what we are trying to say is not clear to others,
    so it is always good to clarify.
    Will be seeing you in Francis' group on Saturday. Although I am in the reserve,
    I shall go as well. Even to watch and learn some portrait shooting is better than idling at home..

    Cheers.
    LEW

  19. #39

    Default Re: tripod recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by SHLEW View Post
    No bro, no offence. Sometimes what we are trying to say is not clear to others,
    so it is always good to clarify.
    Will be seeing you in Francis' group on Saturday. Although I am in the reserve,
    I shall go as well. Even to watch and learn some portrait shooting is better than idling at home..

    Cheers.
    LEW

    see u then
    Canon|Tamron|Gitzo|Manfrotto|Benro|B+W|Hoya|LCW|LEE|HiT ech|Cokin|TianYa

  20. #40

    Default Re: tripod recommendation

    Hey, dleugene. Are you the same Eugene i spoke to yesterday at fullerton? Im the guy who spoke to you asking about the 450D liveview issue.

    Anyway, i like the Sirui cause of the folding options. It can be folded until pretty compact. Any other tripod with this function as well?

    Is a secondhand manfrotto 190xprob and 486ballhead @ 250 worth it?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •