Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: water went in my camera

  1. #1

    Default water went in my camera

    Hi all, some water went in my canon 1000d and tamron 17-50 during a water event. Now my viewfinder has some fog. My lens has also water vapour and some water residue.. I dare not on the camera.. And try to air them under the sun..

    On my filter there is some residue seen after the water evaporated.. I dunno wad will happen to my lens n body..

    I am currently in m,sia and may only return to sg in 3 days time. Wad should i do...
    I love Tamron.

  2. #2

    Default Re: water went in my camera

    since you are in malaysia, i presume you are staying in hotel.

    take your camera open the body cap (exposing the lens mount), place the camera on the table with the camera pointing downwards.
    try to put some object below the camera handgrip area without covering the lens mount area. in this way it will enable some air to flow in to dry the internal of the camera that is wet.
    best leave the camera overnight in aircon room, it should dry the internal of your camera the next morning.

    once dry, you can test to on the camera, use blower to clean the internal part of the camera, do not attempt to use cloth to clean the internal part.

    if water vapour is still there, sent for cleaning in CSC when you reach Singapore.
    Last edited by takengo2003; 13th June 2010 at 05:07 PM.

  3. #3
    Member dingaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore | East
    Posts
    1,950

    Default Re: water went in my camera

    try to air it, then clean the parts that you can with a microfibre cloth. remove the battery as well, and don't put it back on until back at the service center.

    bring it back to the service centers when you are back here. hope nothing is seriously wrong.

    for residues on filters/lens, can try cleaning with a Lenspen.

    all the best!
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: water went in my camera

    Or put camera in plastic bag with silica Gel or Thirty Hippo.

  5. #5

    Default Re: water went in my camera

    as in all electrical items....avoid switching power on, might cause internal electrical damge....
    Nikon D700, N24-70 f2.8, N70-200 f2.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4.

  6. #6
    Member eosandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Land of smiles
    Posts
    842

    Default Re: water went in my camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    Or put camera in plastic bag with silica Gel or Thirty Hippo.


    The cam wasn't submerged was it? Just splashed with water, then you off it?
    Learning DSLR control http://stormtrigger.blogspot.com/

  7. #7

    Default Re: water went in my camera

    My camera was in a friend's bag which was supposed to be waterproof, but somehow water went inside the bag bcos it was placed on a a raftboat and water did get on it... I dunno is it considered submerged in this case. But sure it was wet when i took it out...

    I do not have a dry box or silica.. I am following the advice of putting in the hotel room to dry now.. i dunno wad else can i do
    I love Tamron.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: water went in my camera

    Quote Originally Posted by hoho85 View Post
    My camera was in a friend's bag which was supposed to be waterproof, but somehow water went inside the bag bcos it was placed on a a raftboat and water did get on it... I dunno is it considered submerged in this case. But sure it was wet when i took it out...

    I do not have a dry box or silica.. I am following the advice of putting in the hotel room to dry now.. i dunno wad else can i do
    Better go to supermarket quickly to get a box of Thirty Hippo and put camera and Hippo in plastic bag to reduce the damage.

    The Thirty Hippo will suck up all the moisture.

  9. #9

    Default Re: water went in my camera

    ok thanks i do that right away
    I love Tamron.

  10. #10

    Default Re: water went in my camera

    Still, nothing beats a check by CSC. They're open tmr!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    718

    Default Re: water went in my camera

    All the best with your cam bro!

  12. #12

    Default Re: water went in my camera

    Quote Originally Posted by hoho85 View Post
    Hi all, some water went in my canon 1000d and tamron 17-50 during a water event. Now my viewfinder has some fog. My lens has also water vapour and some water residue.. I dare not on the camera.. And try to air them under the sun..

    On my filter there is some residue seen after the water evaporated.. I dunno wad will happen to my lens n body..

    I am currently in m,sia and may only return to sg in 3 days time. Wad should i do...
    air it first, and then place it with a dehumidifier for a few days, before trying to operate it.

  13. #13
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: water went in my camera

    Uncooked rice grains are rather hygroscopic and you can use it to dry out your soaked electronic equipments overnight in case of an emergency.



    The Washing Post, A wired-in guy getting set for a big date.
    Article dated 11th of June 2007 By Ernesto Londoņo, The Washing Post staff writer
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 14th June 2010 at 01:50 AM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  14. #14

    Default Re: water went in my camera

    I also wish got csc now, but i still in m,sia...

    I like to ask do i tell csc ppl exactly wad happen? I still have my warranty. Will thy charge me for the repair/servicing.
    I love Tamron.

  15. #15

    Default Re: water went in my camera

    Quote Originally Posted by hoho85 View Post
    I also wish got csc now, but i still in m,sia...

    I like to ask do i tell csc ppl exactly wad happen? I still have my warranty. Will thy charge me for the repair/servicing.
    it is because of your own fault.

    my advice is to be honest, because that is what a man should do, take responsibility for his mistakes. i don't see a point in lying about your own negligence.

  16. #16

    Default Re: water went in my camera

    Quote Originally Posted by hoho85 View Post
    I also wish got csc now, but i still in m,sia...

    I like to ask do i tell csc ppl exactly wad happen? I still have my warranty. Will thy charge me for the repair/servicing.
    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    it is because of your own fault.

    my advice is to be honest, because that is what a man should do, take responsibility for his mistakes. i don't see a point in lying about your own negligence.
    Even if you dun tell the truth they will charge you...they will know is due to human. Not cover under warranty. Telling then what happen will allow them to have better understanding and know what they should do.

  17. #17
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: water went in my camera

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    it is because of your own fault.

    my advice is to be honest, because that is what a man should do, take responsibility for his mistakes. i don't see a point in lying about your own negligence.
    Quote Originally Posted by paesyl View Post
    Even if you dun tell the truth they will charge you...they will know is due to human. Not cover under warranty. Telling then what happen will allow them to have better understanding and know what they should do.
    Yeah, not that it matters anyway. In terms of water, it's not possible to say "manufacturing fault" anyway

  18. #18

    Default Re: water went in my camera

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Yeah, not that it matters anyway. In terms of water, it's not possible to say "manufacturing fault" anyway
    ya i think so too. warranty does not cover this accident?
    I love Tamron.

  19. #19
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: water went in my camera

    If it still works, cleaning isn't that costly. Just tell the truth ba. Mostly, the person service you will try to ask for your case to be covered under warrenty as long as you don't act like they own you a living when they attend to you. I work with lots of IT equipment and when it break down by accident or act of god, the serviceman will try to help me request it under warrenty. Dishonestly will result in irritation and untrust and thus it might cause negative effect. BTW remember to remove the battery as there might be small current running inside the camera maintaining time and other settings. You can call CSC and ask about your case before going down.

  20. #20
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: water went in my camera

    Quote Originally Posted by hoho85 View Post
    ya i think so too. warranty does not cover this accident?
    Warranty covers manufacturing defects.
    Insurance covers accidents.

    Which one do you have?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •