Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon VS Nikon

Default Re: Canon VS Nikon

Quote Originally Posted by Ah_K View Post
    Remember, it's the man behind the camera that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPa1adin View Post
    in my broadest sense, nikon is king of ISO/lowlight/51point AF technology... btw is canon the king of sensor technology?
    can't say that canon is the king of sensor technology. because from what i know(it could be WRONG), nikon and canon use the sensor from Sony*.

*This point needs some assurance. kinda see it somewhere before. Thanks.
    Nikon D90 | N18-105mm | T90mm | SB-600
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by strikeback4 View Post
    My budget is around 3K+ which I'm planning to get a body + a Zoom & Macro lens so anybody have any suggestion should I go for?
    Ahem... if your budget is 3k, then i think it will better if you get the D300 second hand from the B&S forum in the CS as they're already on sale for half of 3k. At least you will have another 1.5k to spend on lens/lenses...

As for myself, i know what i need for infrared photog, and so i bought my gears all from the B&S... except for my recent purchase of Manfrotto 055XPROB and my ancient FM2 and 2 tokina manual zoom lenses when i was a student (gifts from my dad), and then my already obsolete Coolpix 4500 when i started working after NS...

However, it is still my money being spent in pursuit of my interest/hobby
    Last edited by SurrealDreamWalker; 13th June 2010 at 03:10 AM. Reason: forgot to include my coolpix 4500
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

Oh noez, not another one of these threads again xD.

Both Canon and Nikon are very established brands, and either way, you can't go wrong, both brands has hordes of happy users.
    But back to the comparison, I think it's better to compare D90 to 50D, or 60D when it comes out, instead of 550D, since Canon's xxxD series are aimed at complete beginners and lack lots of control as well as the info panel at the top, unlike the D90 or 50D. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that D90 and 550D are in different "tiers" and I think it's better to compare D5000 vs 550D, or D90 vs 50D.
    Canon Kiss X3 BG-E5 | Canon 135 f2 | Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 | Sigma 50 f1.4 | 430EXII
    View my gallery

thank you all for your help but now my main concern is lenses, is there any website that give detail review on both Canon and Nikon Lenses?

If Canon, do I really need USM? how does USM really affact the picture quality?

Nikon wise I'm not so sure? their equal to Canon USM is VR II?

damn its so hard to choose a DSLR
    Last edited by strikeback4; 13th June 2010 at 10:15 AM.

canon L lens is expensive i dont know about Nikon lens,some ppl tend to go 3rd party lens for cost savings. how many LENS do you want to buy? CANON and NIKON Lenses are +/- the same.. just matter of your BUDGET.. if you are thinking to get alot of lenses.. yes i think your question is reasonable.. However, if you are only looking for 1-3 lens.. only, you have to take a look what is the lens and google the review.. and dont have to think about Either Canon and Nikon.. its just waste of time..
    Canon Kiss X4 | 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II Kit lens | 50mm f1.8

I'm tinking of a 18-200mm zoom lens, a macro lens, a 200-400mm zoom lens and a f/1.8 telephoto lens thats why I'm asking so much qn regarding lens

Quote Originally Posted by Senifer View Post
    can't say that canon is the king of sensor technology. because from what i know(it could be WRONG), nikon and canon use the sensor from Sony*.

*This point needs some assurance. kinda see it somewhere before. Thanks.

some nikon sensors are using sony's. I believe the D3 and D700 sensors are not made by sony. But the D3x and D90 and D5000 are made by sony.

I'm tinking of a 18-200mm zoom lens, a macro lens, a 200-400mm zoom lens and a f/1.8 telephoto lens thats why I'm asking so much qn regarding lens
    The distortions of the 18-200mm is rather crazy, assuming you're refering to the Nikkor! If you're sticking to the DX body (no FX upgrade), I'd rather recommend 16-85mm couple that with a 70-300 IF-ED (FX lens) or the cheaper 55-200 VR. Macro lens - 105mm VR, your 200-400 (boy this one is NOT going to be cheap) and f/1.8.

thank you all for your help but now my main concern is lenses, is there any website that give detail review on both Canon and Nikon Lenses?

http://www.photozone.de/

Quote Originally Posted by LittlePhotophile View Post
    thanks alot, i will go home and compare both brands lenses

Quote Originally Posted by LittlePhotophile View Post
    and also check the reviews @ http://www.dpreview.com/
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

USM is Canon's Ultrasonic Motor, it's an AF motor on Canon's lenses. Nikon's equivalent is AF-S, not VRII. Silent Wave Motor (AF-S/SWM) on the cheaper Nikon lenses do not work as well as Canon's USM imo, they never get nearly as fast.

Canon's equivalent of VR would be IS, VRII is something like IS Mk II.

USM/AF-S does not affect picture quality, they affect autofocusing (speed & sound)
    Wah 200-400 lens, what will you be shooting with that?
    Last edited by brapodam; 13th June 2010 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    USM is Canon's Ultrasonic Motor, it's an AF motor on Canon's lenses. Nikon's equivalent is AF-S, not VRII. Silent Wave Motor (AF-S/SWM) on the cheaper Nikon lenses do not work as well as Canon's USM imo, they never get nearly as fast.

Canon's equivalent of VR would be IS, VRII is something like IS Mk II.

USM/AF-S does not affect picture quality, they affect autofocusing (speed & sound)

Wah 200-400 lens, what will you be shooting with that?
    Thanks for the info, i heard about the Nikon SWM, so they just affect how fast a lens auto focus right? so I will not need it since I use manual more...

I need high zoom as I like to go photography trip, espcially nature park so with a higher zoom so I wun scare all the animals..

Thanks for the info, i heard about the Nikon SWM, so they just affect how fast a lens auto focus right? so I will not need it since I use manual more...

I need high zoom as I like to go photography trip, espcially nature park so with a higher zoom so I wun scare all the animals..
    If u dunnid AF then can go hunt for those old AI/AIS lenses, can get much cheaper nowadays.

Hi All

I'm a total noob in DSLR but I'm planning to get a DSLR maybe around Sept period and I need a few advice on the 2 major brand, Canon & Nikon(No Pentax or Sony as I'm looking for a brand that has many accessory available in the market to go along with it)

Initially I was thinking between the 550D & D90, been playing around with both DSLR at my store for bout 2 months + and can anyone correct me on the below?

1)Canon has good balancing in terms of photography & Movie mode but Nikon has superb Picture quality, true or false?

a good feature set from both companies.. but canon imo has more value for $. but always remember that iso # is nothing.. canon may advertise 25600 etc as high iso. but its virtually unusable. so beware of the specs.. if u ask me, i would still stick with my original choice nikon (even though canon has great value dslr such as 5DMII)

2)Canon 550D body it quite small & light make me feel like holding a toy, D90 is quite sturdy in built but I find most of the function is quite complicate which I may get used to it in the long run

most DSLRs are complicated.. as long as u want to go fully manual.. once u get used to it. u will know how to use them all. just read alot.. about 1.5 years ago i was buying my first dslr d90, now i have almost fully used almost every feature. i m already preparing to upgrade to a d700 or equivalent.. so its not really that complicated, just read up more haha

3)Canon Lens are EX, espcially the USM one, Nikon VR II Lens are cheaper, but what is the major differents that make canon lens more expensive?

haha.. canon lenses are more exp? i dont think so... look at any of the F2.8 trinity lenses.. 24-70, 14-24, 70-200,

or even 17-35 f2.8 16-35 f4 24 1.4.. they are almost same priced.. to be honest, nikon is even more exp.. comparing 70-200 vr 1 vs 70-200 IS 1 last time.. canon is better value to start with.. even the 50 1.8 is slightly cheaper than nikon's 50 1.8 i think...

4)Canon is starting to make their DSLR SDXC ready but Nikon is still lacking in terms of megapixel, movie resolution etc...

My budget is around 3K+ which I'm planning to get a body + a Zoom & Macro lens so anybody have any suggestion should I go for?
    your best bet if u still lie with nikon would be a d90 kit + 105VR 2.8 micro (i think it will cost around 1.4-1.6k.. i m not sure on this u better check) that would make it around 3k.

as i said, canon has better value, but pure numbers dont always give u better results.. like higher iso.. must see how the camera performs also for their iso rating..
    yes canon might have more megapixels. but do u need that large print or resolution? high resolution might even show bigger flaws in ur photographic skills (since u can potentially take larger prints)

but just take note , that if u want larger resolution.. for now,canon is the way to go.. as most of their cams are of higher resolution. till now i m still satisfied with my 12 mp. if u had more budget , i would definetely suggest u to start with 5D mark II + 24-105 f4 kit. its really a good cam haha.. since u dont have any systems..
    M10|M6 Millenium|50mm f1 e58|35 f1.4 FLE|35mm f2 V1 germany|15mm V f4.5 VIII|50mm Zeiss f2

Hi All

I'm a total noob in DSLR but I'm planning to get a DSLR maybe around Sept period and I need a few advice on the 2 major brand, Canon & Nikon(No Pentax or Sony as I'm looking for a brand that has many accessory available in the market to go along with it)
    Pentax and Sony has enough features to satisfy the wants of most photographers - unless you envision yourself using perspective control lenses or super-telephoto lenses.

Initially I was thinking between the 550D & D90, been playing around with both DSLR at my store for bout 2 months + and can anyone correct me on the below?

1)Canon has good balancing in terms of photography & Movie mode but Nikon has superb Picture quality, true or false?
    The feature sets from both companies are not lacking in anyway to most photographers. Canon might have higher megapixels for this generation and Nikon might have better AF systems, but they leapfrog each other constantly.

2)Canon 550D body it quite small & light make me feel like holding a toy, D90 is quite sturdy in built but I find most of the function is quite complicate which I may get used to it in the long run
    It is personal preference.

3)Canon Lens are EX, espcially the USM one, Nikon VR II Lens are cheaper, but what is the major differents that make canon lens more expensive?
    Most Canon lenses are about equal in pricing and quality to their Nikon equivalents. For example, the N24-70 costs 2.4k while the C24-70 costs 2.2k.

4)Canon is starting to make their DSLR SDXC ready but Nikon is still lacking in terms of megapixel, movie resolution etc...
    Wait for Nikon to launch their updates to the D90 - I bet it will have all those features included.

Handle the camera more and get what your friends get so you can share lenses.
    5D Mk II | TS-E 17L | 17-40L | 24-105L IS | 35L | 85L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 100L Macro | 580EX II

Quote Originally Posted by frankchn View Post
    Most Canon lenses are about equal in pricing and quality to their Nikon equivalents. For example, the N24-70 costs 2.4k while the C24-70 costs 2.2k.
    $2.4k? Seriously?! A friend bought his at $2.7k (or so). And just recently a friend checked with John 3:16 and the price is just about the same.

Not nitpicking btw. Just clarifying.

:Later,

If you use manual, you can get Nikkor Ais prime lens...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

manual focusing on autofocus lenses can be irritating at times, depending on the specific lens of course.
    Specifically manual-focus-only lenses may be more precise in their focusing action.
    Exploring! :)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast