Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! Hard drive

Default Re: Help! Hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by glgl96 View Post
    Went to the pc fair. saw this hard drive 2tb at 209.90bucks. Offers to sell a data recovery software at 1dollar. But its this brand call astone. Anyone can tell it is it worth buying?
    Any reviews on it? Will it crash easily?
    What is the name of the data recovery software they offer for $1?

Slap on head.... They just don't get it.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Quote Originally Posted by xujia View Post
    I suspect the problem could be due to the fact that I left the hard disk in the room: I should have kept all backup harddisks in some kind of dry box to prevent fungus and dust. Hope others can learn from my experience and benefit from it..
    Err...
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 13th February 2012 at 10:29 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

To correct your misunderstand, while hard disk are not air tight, they are equipped with fantastic air filtering mechanism that wouldn't allow any form of dust to get into it. If you even let a speck of dust get into it, it will crash the hard disk head. It is also highly unlikely hard disk will be have mold growing inside, outside perhaps, inside, never heard.

Putting your hard disk in the dry box is unnecessary and besides, why should you have hard disk lying around for donkey months without using it ? However it is common to find under utilized electronic equipments going bonkers. Could be due to the moving mechanism parts or eroded electronic parts. Air and humidity is extremely powerful eroding agents to electronics.

I have already stressed this upon the forum users numerous time and here I go again. No hardware is bound for lifetime. They fail and no matter how lucky you think you are, they fails. That's a fact. The longer you wait, the higher your chances. That simple. You may brag about how your equipment can sustain for the next 10 years and truth be told, I only hear people with equipments failing and never otherwise. I only hear people crying for restoration and unable to retrieve their precious data or only partially when the time comes. If you are buying insurance for yourself, why are you not buying insurance for your data ? A human body can be cut numerous times and still alive, but I highly doubt sensitive electronic can sustain that kind of torture without failing.
    So please get a decent redundant storage system and also invest in a good backup plan if you depends on your digital assets or you feel your digital assets means a lot to you.

Sometimes I can't help to feel curious about why some people thinks they can win probability ?

Quote Originally Posted by xujia View Post
    Hi TS,

I've got quite a few Astone brands external harddisks, 1 and 2 tb. All were working fine until there was a time (a few months) I stopped using the disk (because I've already backed up the data into them and left it there).

Recently, tried to access some of the backedup data and realise the PC doesn't recognise the harddisk (the 2 tb one). It keeps prompting me to format the disk...

I've tried on a couple of other laptops and same result- it doesn't recognise the disk. Now I have to hunt for some data recovery service and waste time and money, plus loss of privacy. As its still under warranty, I wanted to look for the astone manufacturer, but guess what? 2 problems: First of all, I don't know who to claim warranty from, 2ndly, the receipt that I have is those thermal receipt and all the 'ink' has vaporised, leaving me a receipt that looks like a blank piece of paper...

So, my advice is for bros who buy stuff with warranty, do scan and keep a copy of the receipt, because 1-5 years is a long time and I'm pretty sure thermal paper receipts would become blank by then, and most manufactureres are laughing because they know at least 80% of customers won't be claiming their warranty because of these reasons: don't know where to claim, and receipt lost/ ink disappeared, etc.

I suspect the problem could be due to the fact that I left the hard disk in the room: I should have kept all backup harddisks in some kind of dry box to prevent fungus and dust. Hope others can learn from my experience and benefit from it..
    Last edited by David Kwok; 14th February 2012 at 02:45 AM.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12