Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 105

Thread: Newbie - Help on Exposure (Tree VS Sky)

  1. #41
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,525

    Default Re: Newbie - Help on Exposure (Tree VS Sky)

    you should be adjusting the polarizer whilst looking through the viewfinder, so you don't really have to "go back to the frame". You are constantly looking at your subject whilst adjusting the CPL. If you don't move back or forth during this time, your focusing shouldn't be out, or should only be SLIGHTLY out. Be careful not to rotate the focusing ring whilst rotating the CPL, that's all...
    Exploring! :)

  2. #42

    Default Re: Newbie - Help on Exposure (Tree VS Sky)

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    you should be adjusting the polarizer whilst looking through the viewfinder, so you don't really have to "go back to the frame". You are constantly looking at your subject whilst adjusting the CPL. If you don't move back or forth during this time, your focusing shouldn't be out, or should only be SLIGHTLY out. Be careful not to rotate the focusing ring whilst rotating the CPL, that's all...
    I see.. This is very informative. Thank you so much for your patience and help! =)

  3. #43
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,525

    Default Re: Newbie - Help on Exposure (Tree VS Sky)

    no problem! I hope I haven't been giving you wrong info, that's all
    Exploring! :)

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    125'10.16"N 10350'11.01"E
    Posts
    1,052

    Default Re: Newbie - Help on Exposure (Tree VS Sky)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    A GND would only work if the horizon is clearly delineated. In this instance, the tress are in the same position as the sky. That pretty much rendered a GND useless.

    (slaps forehead) and come on lah....... find me a flash that can lit up an entire scene.....
    I am trying to explain the problem. Not just to solve this photograph/scene.

  5. #45
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,442

    Default Re: Newbie - Help on Exposure (Tree VS Sky)

    Then you might want to make it clear that the solutions you offered are commonly used techniques but not necessarily applicable to the inistances which TS was referring to or else it would be just plain misleading for someone with very little experience.

  6. #46
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,525

    Default Re: Newbie - Help on Exposure (Tree VS Sky)

    yeah... got me confused with the "what the...?" feeling as well.... I see trees everywhere, and there was suggestion of GND and fill flash... so the train of thought goes along that path...
    Exploring! :)

  7. #47

    Default Re: Newbie - Help on Exposure (Tree VS Sky)

    I would think that fill flash is used for something on a smaller scale and the gradual neutral density for a clearly defined landscape (from what I read)

    agree at first when I saw fill-flash also kinda confused

  8. #48
    Member dingaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore | East
    Posts
    1,952

    Default Re: Newbie - Help on Exposure (Tree VS Sky)

    Spot on! You've got the basics right!
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

  9. #49
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,442

    Default Re: Newbie - Help on Exposure (Tree VS Sky)

    I hope everybody now sees the need to provide accurate and straight-to-the-point answers, especially in the newbie forum.

  10. #50

    Default Re: Newbie - Help on Exposure (Tree VS Sky)

    Anyway i have another question regarding exposure compensation vs shutter speed.


    I look through the live view and find that if i lower the shutter speed, that is to say 1/20, 1/10, 1 sec, it gets brighter. And if shutter speed is faster, it gets darker.

    So, should i actually play with the shutter speed? Or should i allow it to be darker and set the exposure compensation higher to +1/+2/+3 etc ?

    How do i know under what circumstance to use what?

  11. #51
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,642

    Default Re: Newbie - Help on Exposure (Tree VS Sky)

    For Auto, Program, Aperture or Shutter Priority mode:

    If a picture is too dark, you +EV

    If picture is too light, you -EV
    Last edited by Diavonex; 13th June 2010 at 10:02 PM.

  12. #52

    Default Re: Newbie - Help on Exposure (Tree VS Sky)

    Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    If a picture is too dark, you +EV

    If picture is to light, you -EV
    Yup. i understand.

    What i mean is the priority.

    Do i actually adjust the shutter speed so that it gets the correct exposure first?

    Or do i take the photo even if its too dark/bright, then adjust the Exposure Compensation +/- accordingly?

    Which comes first?

  13. #53
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,642

    Default Re: Newbie - Help on Exposure (Tree VS Sky)


  14. #54
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,442

    Default Re: Newbie - Help on Exposure (Tree VS Sky)

    If its scenes you are aftering, you should set the aperture and let the camera work out the shutter speed for you because the depth of field takes precedent. Using aperture priority mode. Yes, you can always dial in compensation for the exposure after taking a test shot.

  15. #55
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,442

    Default Re: Newbie - Help on Exposure (Tree VS Sky)

    and I really do think that you should read up on the basics i.e. shutter speed, aperture, etc first before going into things like blending and HDR. You should be solving your problems by learning the basics.

  16. #56

    Default Re: Newbie - Help on Exposure (Tree VS Sky)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    If its scenes you are aftering, you should set the aperture and let the camera work out the shutter speed for you because the depth of field takes precedent. Using aperture priority mode. Yes, you can always dial in compensation for the exposure after taking a test shot.
    Noted. Thanks Kit !

  17. #57
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,708

    Default Re: Newbie - Help on Exposure (Tree VS Sky)

    timing of the day is very important...

    below are two shots i took yesterday ard 4-5+pm (without any special filters, just a normal UV filter) which i find at this timing the sky is very blue... i am not a PP person so these two are straight from cam.






    so besides learning the aspects of your camera... u need to know when to shoot in the day too.

  18. #58

    Default Re: Newbie - Help on Exposure (Tree VS Sky)

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    timing of the day is very important...

    below are two shots i took yesterday ard 4-5+pm (without any special filters, just a normal UV filter) which i find at this timing the sky is very blue... i am not a PP person so these two are straight from cam.






    so besides learning the aspects of your camera... u need to know when to shoot in the day too.
    Yes, actually when its cloudy and sunlight is bright, you should not shoot, because it will over-expose no matter what settings u use.

    Yup, u have nice pictures there. I suppose the 1st pic u had the sun behind u, and the 2nd was behind u and to the left, ya?

  19. #59

    Default Re: Newbie - Help on Exposure (Tree VS Sky)

    Quote Originally Posted by takafan View Post
    Yup, got it. No, i dont capture the shot again. The first time just half shutter for it to focus at the frame i want to capture, then adjust the polarizer for the desirable effect, then go back to the same frame and this time capture it
    Mount the Circular Polarizer (CPL) to the lens. Look thru the viewfinder and rotate the CPL. Your view should be getting 'darker' as you rotate. Rotate till you are happy with the color then shoot like normal.

    I kiasu abit, at different shade of 'darkness', capture a shot. Select the best blue sky you prefer. But remember to stand almost 90 degree to the sunlight for max effect (sunglight behind/ infront of u no use).

    Your subject should remain equally bright

  20. #60
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,708

    Default Re: Newbie - Help on Exposure (Tree VS Sky)

    Quote Originally Posted by takafan View Post
    Yes, actually when its cloudy and sunlight is bright, you should not shoot, because it will over-expose no matter what settings u use.

    Yup, u have nice pictures there. I suppose the 1st pic u had the sun behind u, and the 2nd was behind u and to the left, ya?
    yup correct.

    when the sunlight is too bright, even is the sky is bluish... it will look pale blue or even near white. Thats when u will need a CPL to help u haha.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •