Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: First attempt in photography

  1. #1

    Default First attempt in photography

    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    further improvement to this photo via photoshop, or things to take note when I do similar shoot next time.

    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    a feel of her gentle smile against the pond bg.

    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    taken on a sunny morning at istana park.

    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    i think the photo is still ok to me as a newbie, but maybe there's overexposure at her back.


  2. #2

    Default Re: First attempt in photography

    I find that its too overexposed.
    Perhaps you could adjust it a little.

  3. #3

    Default Re: First attempt in photography

    This is strictly personal opinion....

    Crit it as a work of a first timer ( as indicated ), there are many flaws to pinpoint onto....e.g.
    composition, exposure, white balance , bokeh , model, etc, etc.

    On the other hand, if it is taken by some big time fashion, glamour, model, hi-end photographer, then it will receive warm applaud and perhaps becoming a trend setter for young aspiring photographer to follow.

    So, do keep this picture and might be useful in future.

    Of coz, as a beginner, you have got all those flaws / mistakes as mentioned to take careof.

    For me...it's a 50 : 50. You would be surprise maybe some of those fashion magazine editor may use it in their publication. I would only correct the brownish/white stuff at the top edge, plus the overblown white spot in the middle.
    Last edited by cabbySHE; 14th June 2010 at 03:01 AM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: First attempt in photography

    Well, you've got the positioning of the model spot on. Not to mention she has a pretty flawless back.

    Watch out for the blown out spot in the middle from the reflections on the rock as cabbyShe has mentioned.

    Good work! =)

  5. #5

    Default Re: First attempt in photography

    Quote Originally Posted by CooL1985 View Post
    I find that its too overexposed.
    Perhaps you could adjust it a little.
    yup i find it kinda overexposed especially at her back.. will do some pp on exposure..

    Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    This is strictly personal opinion....

    Crit it as a work of a first timer ( as indicated ), there are many flaws to pinpoint onto....e.g.
    composition, exposure, white balance , bokeh , model, etc, etc.

    On the other hand, if it is taken by some big time fashion, glamour, model, hi-end photographer, then it will receive warm applaud and perhaps becoming a trend setter for young aspiring photographer to follow.

    So, do keep this picture and might be useful in future.

    Of coz, as a beginner, you have got all those flaws / mistakes as mentioned to take careof.

    For me...it's a 50 : 50. You would be surprise maybe some of those fashion magazine editor may use it in their publication. I would only correct the brownish/white stuff at the top edge, plus the overblown white spot in the middle.
    thanks for your opinion but ur opinion does brighten me up.. anw, i would like to clarify with you what brownish stuff at the top edge? i would like to improve myself, but i cant seem to get the brownish or whitetish stuff u mentioned at the top

    Quote Originally Posted by sinny View Post
    Well, you've got the positioning of the model spot on. Not to mention she has a pretty flawless back.

    Watch out for the blown out spot in the middle from the reflections on the rock as cabbyShe has mentioned.

    Good work! =)
    thanks i also realised that its overexposed.. will be extra mindful of exposure in future

  6. #6

    Default Re: First attempt in photography

    I dont know if its just me or what but the picture is clearly soft at her face area.

    For me, regardless of how good the composition or the theme is, a picture cannot be soft at the wrong places.

    Also i find it too cropped on the left. ie the picture should be a third from the left not on the extreme left.

    However on the plus side i like the location taken and the model used. expression could be more natural. Looks a little forced to me.

    But just like you im learning everyday too. Keep up the good work and keep shooting !

  7. #7

    Default Re: First attempt in photography

    Quote Originally Posted by hotchoco1ate View Post
    I dont know if its just me or what but the picture is clearly soft at her face area.

    For me, regardless of how good the composition or the theme is, a picture cannot be soft at the wrong places.

    Also i find it too cropped on the left. ie the picture should be a third from the left not on the extreme left.

    However on the plus side i like the location taken and the model used. expression could be more natural. Looks a little forced to me.

    But just like you im learning everyday too. Keep up the good work and keep shooting !
    thanks for ur comment for the soft part, does it mean i would have to be mindful of my focus point at her face? and i should be leaving certain spacing on the left?

    mmm.. anw, is there anything i could do on the expression? like mayb using photoshop or what? haha.. sorry for such noob qns..

    in any case, i would keep on shooting and posting my fav pic of all, so tt i can receive comments and keep on improving as well

  8. #8

    Default Re: First attempt in photography

    overall

    model's back alittle overexposed but i can live with that. better overexposed than underexposed.

    would di the pimple on her forehead.

  9. #9

    Default Re: First attempt in photography

    Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    overall

    model's back alittle overexposed but i can live with that. better overexposed than underexposed.

    would di the pimple on her forehead.
    thanks for your comment i tried to cover up that pimple, but i cant seem to manage it well.. hence i give up on covering... haha.. guess my pp skills is not there yet..

  10. #10

    Default Re: First attempt in photography

    Quote Originally Posted by stevesteve View Post
    thanks for your comment i tried to cover up that pimple, but i cant seem to manage it well.. hence i give up on covering... haha.. guess my pp skills is not there yet..
    Clone out? its not that hard really. Practise makes perfect. Or you could soften the skin in photoshop, i covered up my teacher's massive acne by simply softening the face. Haha
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    718

    Default Re: First attempt in photography

    Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    This is strictly personal opinion....

    On the other hand, if it is taken by some big time fashion, glamour, model, hi-end photographer, then it will receive warm applaud and perhaps becoming a trend setter for young aspiring photographer to follow.
    Have to agree with you on this.. sad but true

  12. #12
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: First attempt in photography

    Maybe a proper thread title will also help. Dunno why I keep returning back to this thread, just because I don't realize it is about this pic.

    A more appropriate title would help us identify which thread is which, and what it is about.

  13. #13
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: First attempt in photography

    slight overexpose on skin is ok..this one feels slightly too much...

    Actually first look I thot this was a hot spring. If you could get your model to turn a little more to hide that little bit of clothing...it would be even more convincing..also, if possible, I wud think it wud be better not to see the rock ground on the left hand..but more on the pond on right...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  14. #14
    Member gymak90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Far North
    Posts
    1,448

    Default Re: First attempt in photography

    Good attempt. Slightly overexposed, and I don't think I can interpret it as a smile (because there isn't much to show).

    Also you might want to soften your model. I find the sharp hair strands and facial features a bit obtrusive. And I think you can stand back or zoom out. So your model won't appear so near and take up that much space in the frame.

    Just my 2 cents
    The best things in life are free.

  15. #15

    Default Re: First attempt in photography

    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty628 View Post
    Clone out? its not that hard really. Practise makes perfect. Or you could soften the skin in photoshop, i covered up my teacher's massive acne by simply softening the face. Haha
    mm.. ok. i shall try softening thanks..

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Maybe a proper thread title will also help. Dunno why I keep returning back to this thread, just because I don't realize it is about this pic.

    A more appropriate title would help us identify which thread is which, and what it is about.
    ok.. i will take note of my thread title in future

    Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    slight overexpose on skin is ok..this one feels slightly too much...

    Actually first look I thot this was a hot spring. If you could get your model to turn a little more to hide that little bit of clothing...it would be even more convincing..also, if possible, I wud think it wud be better not to see the rock ground on the left hand..but more on the pond on right...
    thanks for your comment appreciate it.. thanks alot.

    Quote Originally Posted by gymak90 View Post
    Good attempt. Slightly overexposed, and I don't think I can interpret it as a smile (because there isn't much to show).

    Also you might want to soften your model. I find the sharp hair strands and facial features a bit obtrusive. And I think you can stand back or zoom out. So your model won't appear so near and take up that much space in the frame.

    Just my 2 cents
    thanks will try to post more photos next time.. do help me critique..

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •