Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: why people put lens hood opposite

Default Re: why people put lens hood opposite

Mounting the hood in reverse is when you are storing or keeping the lens in the bag or pouch or dry cab, be it mounted on the camera or not. This is to save space, unless you have a huge bag or a huge dry cab. Then you don't have to bother with it.
    I've seen many photographers shooting with the hood in reverse mount. Either they forgot that there's a lens cap or they do not want to shooot with the hood during that time or plainly thought that that's part of the lens design
    Take the shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Why does the dust need any protection?
    Have a look at your lenses, you will notice that a lens hood doesn't change anything for the focus ring. Wouldn't it be rather troublesome if a lens hood covered / blocked the focus ring?
    Haa. someone spotted the typo. I thought I was reading otherwise. Should be prevent dust instead of protecting dust?
    Last edited by chocnoodles; 13th June 2010 at 01:09 AM.

well for me I put it reversed way as I need it to store it in my small bag. when shooting I will mount it.
    Nikon D90 AF-S 18-105mm

I always shoot with hood mounted properly. Only reverse it when storing it.

Like what catchlights mentioned, hoods are not just to reduce flare but also improving contrast by reducing stray light. It's very useful in protecting the front element too.
    Last edited by hori; 13th June 2010 at 04:05 AM.

Puting a lens hood is essential, especially when you already bought 1 and have it on your lens...however, I always put it reverse...only use when in strong sunlight or observed possible stray lights...
    But if you have it, use it...reverse is more for storage...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

This is called style...

But there was a time i was on the mrt and saw 2 youngster walking in and sat beside me. His friend took out a canon 50d or 500d, can't rmb. His 18-55 lens hood is reversed. His friend ask him: "Whats the flower for" He replied: "Dono, but very stylo"...

WTF? O.o

Too many youngster out there taking dslr as a point-and-shoot camera...
    They Prefer MasterCard. But I Prefer VISA.

for me, when not in used then install it reveresed, i find it safe for my Lens hood.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    two reasons:

either they are plain lazy, or don't know what lens hood for.

there r other reasons lah..

like for example when using flash, the hood might cast a shadow, when indoors, u don't need a hood, or when u just wanna to take a quick snap n return the camera back to the bag, no need afix the hood... etc

Or when someone's using CPL? wonder how to use cpl with lens hood on.... must be pretty hard to adjust it to the desired output...

Quote Originally Posted by jackmbox View Post
    Or when someone's using CPL? wonder how to use cpl with lens hood on.... must be pretty hard to adjust it to the desired output...
    i did it using the "fingering" method , sticking my left index finger onto the rim of the CPL to rotate it.
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

Quote Originally Posted by kokfann View Post

cause sometimes you know there will not be flare, eg indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    that is not truth, the use of lens hood is to shield the front element or filter away from any stray light, to help increase contrast of the images and preventing lens flare cause by strong light source.

so as long there is lights, ones should use lens hood, regardless is indoor or outdoor.

you can see cinematographers or professional photographers are using lens hood all the time.
    As long as there is light I will put on the hood if I have it with me.

1) Outdoor...even the sun is behind you or it's an bright overcast.
    2) Indoor...spot light or strong light source from window (even you a back facing the source of light)

You may think the bright source point of light is not facing your lens what is the point of a lens hood here??? You maybe wrong. There is a large bright diffused source of light which may cause lens flare as well known as insidious flare not easily notice. In the image you may see as haze misty 'feel' on top of the image cause by the overcast. Specifically true when shoot at wide angle.

You may see some ppl using a lens hood, on top of the lens hood they use additional shading like a hat, cardboard, hand or anything you can find in your bag.

Quote Originally Posted by xxdoggyxx View Post
    This is called style...

But there was a time i was on the mrt and saw 2 youngster walking in and sat beside me. His friend took out a canon 50d or 500d, can't rmb. His 18-55 lens hood is reversed. His friend ask him: "Whats the flower for" He replied: "Dono, but very stylo"...

WTF? O.o

I think people catch on to this new style of mounting hoods on camera. Just like our visitors from China a few years back, you will notice all their sunglasses will have labeles stick to the lenses. Also when they wear suits, they will keep the label on the sleeve. It is kind of a fashion statement I think...
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

Quote Originally Posted by jackmbox View Post
    Actually pentax hood got a small opening (removable) for u to adjust CPL filter .

Quote Originally Posted by Supersimon27 View Post
    Actually pentax hood got a small opening (removable) for u to adjust CPL filter .
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=793146

Some ppl DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    I think people catch on to this new style of mounting hoods on camera. Just like our visitors from China a few years back, you will notice all their sunglasses will have labeles stick to the lenses. Also when they wear suits, they will keep the label on the sleeve. It is kind of a fashion statement I think...
    Labels stick to the lenses and suit??? O.o
    They Prefer MasterCard. But I Prefer VISA.

to make the lens look bigger so people thought "wah, what a big lens, must be pro!!"
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    to make the lens look bigger so people thought "wah, what a big lens, must be pro!!"
    Then attach the lens hood at the front better what, make the lens longer and fatter!

To look more stylo milo.
    Please Don't Report This Post To A Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Then attach the lens hood at the front better what, make the lens longer and fatter!
    depends on the effect u want mah,
    1) long & fat
    2) short & fat

photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by xxdoggyxx View Post
    This is called style...

WTF? O.o

This one winner

At least if lazy, still can explain. For myself, especially if I need to keep taking lens filter in and out (which is very common for ND filters), I will just keep the flower on stylo mode. Also laziness have caused me to buy protector filter in front of all my lenses so I don't have to keep bringing it out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast